The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

who tried to 'influence' his staff to vote Leave in 2016..

Please keep political issues out of the topic, it's hard going to moderate as it is.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Sorry, I am really struggling to see what is self serving about that?

Saying "It's OK if you want to find another job, we will welcome you back" seems to be a positive message to the currently underemployed staff.

From the Daily Mirror:

0_BLP_CHP_mirror_428JPG.jpg

Tim Martin has a personal wealth estimated to be over £40 million.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Please keep political issues out of the topic, it's hard going to moderate as it is.

Thank you for doing it Andy; it must be a right pain in the neck! :) 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Neil said:

0_BLP_CHP_mirror_428JPG.jpg

Tim Martin has a personal wealth estimated to be over £40 million.

We have a host of names for that man circulating around my non-railway friendship group currently: I won't repeat them here!  Andy has enough to do as it is!

Regards,

Nick.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Please do not panic or encourage anyone to panic.

Too late Andy, I panic bought some stuff just now - can't build a layout without it.

First order in 12 months, last item was the SECR wagon from Rails.

Have boards, track, pins so no excuse now - well except for the decorating......

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

We have a host of names for that man circulating around my non-railway friendship group currently: I won't repeat them here!  Andy has enough to do as it is!

Regards,

Nick.

Sports Direct tried to stay open arguing it was providing essential supplies - now if I thought for one moment this was to keep all those staff in gainful employment I might have had sympathy for a certain football fanatic CEO who buys up failing chains.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Regards,

Nick.

Indeed.  Cheap beer comes at a price.  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Indeed.  Cheap beer comes at a price.  

I'll take any beer right now but I foolishly didn't think of that when I went to the shops yesterday, and it'll be a while before I need to go again. How long does homebrew take, I've got a kit sat in a cupboard for a while (ingredients probably past it though)?

• RMweb Gold

From what I read I believe any staff who LEAVE Wetherspoons and get a job elsewhere will be given priority for jobs if they re apply to join Wetherspoons, so no they wouldn't be getting a government subsidy for one employer and getting paid by another. If they are NOT getting paid by Wetherspoons until the government subsidy comes through, some may go now, to get a wage ?  

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Please do not panic or encourage anyone to panic.

Sorry Andy, it was not my intention to encourage anyone to panic buy, but if anyone wanted anything special to while away the time under lock down there is....was limited time to do it.

Some people just do not believe this thing is real.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Isn't that just a very bureaucratic thing marking the point at which at which attempts to "contain", which is what one would do with an HCID, were abandoned in favour of "delay"? 

If the law requires an HCID to be "contained", it would be daft to persist in calling it an HCID, and being obliged to attempt to "contain", if that was impossible in practice ...... it would divert effort into the wrong actions.

Hi Kevin,

What caught my eye was the wording of the very first paragraph contained within the link:

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK."

The date is well before the restrictions came into full force, therefore, my question is why are there now such restrictions if on the 19th of March it was deemed no longer of high consequence.

Logically something that is no longer of high consequence wouldn't require such measures ?

Gibbo.

• Agree 1

I think “HCID” has a particular meaning in terms of how health bodies are required to respond to it, and the definition may be in terms of very high overall fatality rates ........ the sort of rates that require JCBs to be mobilised and football pitches to be requisitioned.

This one is clearly very bad, but may not meet that particular formal definition.

Meanwhile, in high-level geopolitical news...

My partner has received an e-mail from her allotment committee (who run on behalf of the local council) - on the council's advice, "following Government instructions", all allotments closed until further notice, although locks remain the same. (This is London though, maybe something new's brewing.)

I suppose it might be someone getting overzealous [1], but I thought going to an allotment had been encouraged as suitable exercise if done with the usual precautions? And assuming if anything grows and isn't trashed, nicked or you lose the allotment as "it's not been maintained" [1], it's food you don't have to queue for.

[1]  I can honestly believe anything of the world of allotments. 15th Century Italy springs to mind.

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Meanwhile HMG is also saying "go back to work if you can" make your minds up folks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52022417

Never liked the idea of working from home but I am working from home now - if nothing else  at least it means I'm not getting bounced back and forth by different messages. I'll probably have run out of things to do in a couple of weeks (at least things there's an approved budget for), hopefully they'll have worked out just what the message is by then.

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Too late Andy, I panic bought some stuff just now - can't build a layout without it.

First order in 12 months, last item was the SECR wagon from Rails.

Have boards, track, pins so no excuse now - well except for the decorating......

I did the same, last minute Ratio Station, platform kits and a signal box with internal kit......need something for once I have fitted all the point motors and wired permanently.......at least this damned virus has had the effect of getting the rocket up me and get started on my new layout....... I’ve had the baseboards packaged as arrived for a year and collecting track and rolling stock for longer......43E6C06D-9646-480A-B6DD-1A7D94DA01EB.jpeg.16507d09284643957b4f7e2d4226beb4.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I did the same, last minute Ratio Station, platform kits and a signal box with internal kit......need something for once I have fitted all the point motors and wired permanently.......at least this damned virus has had the effect of getting the rocket up me and get started on my new layout....... I’ve had the baseboards packaged as arrived for a year and collecting track and rolling stock for longer......43E6C06D-9646-480A-B6DD-1A7D94DA01EB.jpeg.16507d09284643957b4f7e2d4226beb4.jpeg

May I take this opportunity to say that’s a very impressive DVD collection? :)

6 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Are you expecting power cuts or just very much into making your own power - that bike right next to the layout isn't running a dynamo is it?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Are you expecting power cuts or just very much into making your own power - that bike right next to the layout isn't running a dynamo is it?

If the Grandchildren want to see Thomas whizz around they had better get peddling :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Thanks, yes we have cut down since moving but still have over a thousand there, the railway is in the other half of the cinema room.......or as Mrs BB calls it....the playroom :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, SVRlad said:

Thanks, yes we have cut down since moving but still have over a thousand there, the railway is in the other half of the cinema room.......or as Mrs BB calls it....the playroom :D