The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

There are websites for people like you, hold on a mo and I'll send you some links.... !

A mix of normality and surrealism at work today on our Radlett stone job, wafting down the MML nearly all of the stations were devoid of commuters but I did see quite a few lone dog walkers and joggers about at various spots where the railway crosses roads and pathways. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mark Dickerson said:

... I suppose it might be someone getting overzealous [1], but I thought going to an allotment had been encouraged as suitable exercise if done with the usual precautions?

My money's on either somebody got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or they're just trying to cover their back.  It would seem that you're right ...

I have an allotment. Does this count as exercise?

Yes - this was confirmed by Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove, who pointed out that if people kept to their own plots this was the perfect spacing for social distancing. Just do not gather with other plotholders, and observe strict hygiene rules with locks, gates, handles on communal sheds and water tanks.

from https://inews.co.uk/news/coronavirus-lockdown-uk-walk-dog-allotment-2513999

Edited by spikey

12 minutes ago, spikey said:

My money's on either somebody got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or they're just trying to cover their back.  It would seem that you're right ...

Unfortunately, things are moving so quickly that I'm not sure the stated guidelines can keep up with the minister (and vice-versa) - which might count as the least partisan thing I've ever said ;). And I'm now expecting a further restrictions imminently (locally), so exercise of all kinds might not be option.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Baby Deltic said:

I suppose it is really. 

You've got to be careful posting pictures of yourself on the internet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Neil said:

From the Daily Mirror:

0_BLP_CHP_mirror_428JPG.jpg

Tim Martin has a personal wealth estimated to be over £40 million.

As Tim Martin doesn't own Wetherspoons. it is not his responsibility to pay anyone.

Whether he has a moral duty to help the staff under his leadership is another matter.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It sounds like some may have been.

Presumably the 'it's only like flu' myth persists. With 8k cases in the UK and over 400 deaths these people are seriously misjudging things. 

24 cases in Coventry, 187 in Birmingham. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 6

10 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

My brother-in-law living in Spain, was stopped by the police yesterday, on his way back from a quick trip to the local Mercadona supermarket.

They wanted to see the contents of his shopping and see the till receipts to check the date and time and to correlate it with the items in his shopping bags.

They are clamping down tightly on people disobeying the rules on staying at home.

Same here in France. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Presumably the 'it's only like flu' myth persists. With 8k cases in the UK and over 400 deaths these people are seriously misjudging things. 

24 cases in Coventry, 187 in Birmingham. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the government should adopt a new policy. All these numpties who think its ok to congregate on a beach, crowd out beauty spots or gather at barbeques etc (insert your own  gathering of choice)  Round em up, ship em off to a deserted Island somewhere, Airdrop  supplies once a week and let 'nature' thin the gene pool for a year  :rolleyes:

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I bet none of them was over 70. 

Judging by the photo (with faces pixellated-out), it was a large family gathering with small children to grand-parents. Certainly a middle-aged spread belly in shot.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

We quite happily stayed at home again today.

The sun was shining, there was plenty of blue sky and there are lots of jobs to do outdoors, now that spring is sprung.

All our neighbours were staying at home too and similarly keeping themselves busy, if not working from home anyway.

At about 3.30 one of our neighbours, who is a very sporty, active chap, decided to go for a 20 mile round trip bike ride (fancy bike, all the kit etc, ), to a popular local coastal location.

Now I know the government have said it’s OK to go out and exercise In this way, in fact has encouraged it, I couldn’t help wonder if this was really the right sort of thing to be doing.

When he returned home, I was cleaning one of our cars on our drive and spoke to him (from across the road) and asked how it went and were there many people about.

He thought it was pleasantly quieter than usual, but he was surprised at the number of cars on the road, many of which seemed to him to be people just out for a drive.

This sounded to me that nothing had changed since the weekend and that people are still flagrantly ignoring the advice, nay instruction to stay at home, except under certain circumstances.

I rather hoped it wouldn’t be the case.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just back from Morrison's in Hereford. Never an enjoyable experience but very depressing right now.

Many shelves bare and restrictions (no more than 3) on many goods. On the one hand the PM is asking us to go out as infrequently as possible but then you can't get what you need to last a week. I have additional problem in that my fridge is very small with an equally small cold box. So I have just had to resort to turning on the fridge and the freezer in the commercial kitchen - rather uneconomic for a small quantity of food.

I dead-heated with a delivery of Andrex loo roll, but only in packs of 9. I'm not privy to the details of loo roll manufacture and packing but surely it would make more sense in the current situation to make packs of 4?

Social-distancing respected around the tills but not elsewhere in the shop. It needs each aisle to have a one-way system for that. One rather ill looking individual kept invading my two-metre exclusion zone. Nearly decked him!

One way of deterring stockpiling might be to chain up the big trolleys....

John

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

One way of deterring stockpiling might be to chain up the big trolleys....

John

Works well for those who shop on a regular basis. 

I have a 22km round trip to the supermarket.  It used to be twice per week but has now reduced to once per week and in the current circumstances I am trying to get everything in one supermarket to minimise contacts rather than the usual shop around.  Fortunately they have stocks of most things except hand gel and flour.  Hand gel I have made my own, bread flour is not yet a problem.

• Like 1

We have friends who were touring in Europe in their own motorhome. They were in Spain when the infection numbers started to rise significantly. They have driven through Spain and into France in their "dash" for a Channel ferry tomorrow. They have been stopped by police several times, but one way or another they are now close to their ferry port. Stir crazy after being in the motorhome for a couple of weeks before starting for home. They've been made to feel like Bonnie and Clyde.

As an aside, their 2 sons have been in lockdown in China. Now that the infections there seem to be mainly imported, people are now moving away from them no matter where they go. The sons think the government have told the people to avoid foreigners. Foreigners not allowed in shopping malls. They were in a restaurant and the next table got up mid meal and moved away from them.

It is still Chinese who are bringing back the virus to China. Our friend said "You have short memories China, you guys started this." Her boys are finding it very amusing lol

Colin

• Friendly/supportive 2

the upside ,I discovered a local garden centre delivering a generic veg box salads and eggs. I am well stocked up but when I phoned at 7.45(on their advice ) they insisted on delivering today' which they did at 11.45.

The downside I thiought they woul deliver 5lbs of spuds, it was actually 5kg, does anyone want a potato?

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, robert17649 said:

the upside ,I discovered a local garden centre delivering a generic veg box salads and eggs. I am well stocked up but when I phoned at 7.45(on their advice ) they insisted on delivering today' which they did at 11.45.

The downside I thiought they woul deliver 5lbs of spuds, it was actually 5kg, does anyone want a potato?

Keep the potatoes in the dark and cool - not cold, and they will last.

Julian

• Like 2
  • Agree 1