The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

Anyone left who thinks the Government action is "too draconian" or not worth taking seriously should watch this from Sunday evening in Italy:-

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-they-call-it-the-apocalypse-inside-italys-hardest-hit-hospital-11960597

Paul

PS: Will understand if this gets removed as it's a bit shocking, but some people do need shocking unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Lantavian said:

I guess the people who cast axle boxes and loco chimneys, or etch nameplates in their garage are queuing up to get involved :-)

6 hours ago, midlands said:

I was thinking where are all the 3-D printer owners now.

Like these guys?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyfeldman/2020/03/19/talking-with-the-italian-engineers-who-3d-printed-respirator-parts-for-hospitals-with-coronavirus-patients-for-free/#88857d278f1a

Out to save lives, not to make profits, but the patent owner is looking to sue for infringement.  Can some people not grasp the bigger picture?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Keep the potatoes in the dark and cool - not cold, and they will last.

Julian

Sounds just like the conditions in "the cellar" that many of us still have under our houses * - a constant 56/7 degrees if mine is owt to go by.

Its almost like they thought of such things in the distant past ;)

*reason #90452 why I have realised I dont want to live in a flat!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

We use web conferencing extensively at work (Zoom, Teams, Hangouts etc).

today we turned it over to our kids at school, my daughters class had a 40 minute session, able to see each other, talk to each other, it was free to use.

it wasnt structured, each kid just talked of what they did, whilst at a desk and on the screen. Its password protected, and obviously needed a parent to log in, and we know each other anyway.

It completely lifted her mood to see her class mates, we are going to do this 2pm each day.

The difference to a youtube channel is the bi-directional discussion. if a club wanted to go virtual, or something similar setting up a meeting is very fast, visual or just voice. if anyone wants some help on this, feel free to pm me and I can advise (I’m not selling it, i just use them all daily) , it ranges from free to £25 so hardly a budget busting way for people to convene, talk, argue, see each and discuss in a virtual way.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It completely lifted her mood to see her class mates, we are going to do this 2pm each day.

Very good idea. Our youngest hasn't seen her pals for ten days now, and it is really telling on her. We've arranged a couple of 1-2-1 video calls, but a group call would be so much better.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

31 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

Why don't you read the rest of the page, rather than speculating unhelpfully?

The explanation is quite clear: HCIDs, such as Ebola, are far more infectious than COVID.

As somebody somewhere rather truthfully, but grimly, said....

large scale HCID outbreaks would end up requiring the use of a JCB and a requisitioned football field...

I had noted that those of an Icke leaning had picked up on that statement rather fast.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Keep the potatoes in the dark and cool - not cold, and they will last.

Julian

^^^ This, dark, no light if possible.....but cold.....not what we would call cool......best at 6C (NOT BELOW).....but not more than 10C, and if possible a dry atmosphere.....we store thousands of tons on the farm before distribution.

And on that note there is plenty to go around, we have been in talks over the past few weeks with all the major supermarkets the farm supplies, we have changed to just the more productive varieties so you will start to find salad pots and the like disappearing but plenty of the rest, lovely spuds everywhere, no worries! :good_mini:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Baby Deltic said:

Not sure how accurate this is but its definitely worth considering if it is:

image.png.893d20a9b4624a9b93daf5574a3cf1d3.png

I've heard these figures in other form from a reliable source (one of the BBC science programmes I think) and yes they make perfect sense. As I understand it  the epidemic, in a population with little or no natural immunity, is essentially exponential so bringing it under control requires the numerical value of the the exponent to be reduced.  This assumes that, on average, every person infected will go on to to infect between .625 and 2.5 others. The infection rate of 2.5 is  AFAIK the current best estimate for a population that continued to act without regard fro the epidemic. This is what makes Trump's asserion of a swift return to normality so questionable (that's putting it politely!)  As soon as you do that those infected would return to infecting an average of 2.5 people.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Being reported via a few news channels:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-may-have-infected-half-of-uk-population-—-oxford-study/ar-BB11DVwS?ocid=spartanntp

No idea whether this is better or worse than the Imperial modelling as I haven't looked at the models of either. 

This makes a lot of sense. It would explain the now reducing curve of new recorded infections and deaths in the countries most affected so far.

But we can't know if they are right until there is antibody testing.

27 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I've heard these figures in other form from a reliable source (one of the BBC science programmes I think) and yes they make perfect sense. As I understand it  the epidemic, in a population with little or no natural immunity, is essentially exponential so bringing it under control requires the numerical value of the the exponent to be reduced.  This assumes that, on average, every person infected will go on to to infect between .625 and 2.5 others. The infection rate of 2.5 is  AFAIK the current best estimate for a population that continued to act without regard fro the epidemic. This is what makes Trump's asserion of a swift return to normality so questionable (that's putting it politely!)  As soon as you do that those infected would return to infecting an average of 2.5 people.  

I think Trump is more than aware of how dangerous this is as are many world leaders. What he has to be careful of is collapsing America’s economy. With the dollar being the reserve currency of the world it could have serious consequences for all. He’s downplayed it a bit but I’m sure he’s losing sleep trying to balance the virus threat against the threat to business if he locks America down.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Article on how climate(or it the UK's case weather) might affect things.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200323-coronavirus-will-hot-weather-kill-covid-19

Stu

Highly unlikely. It does not get anywhere near hot enough (especially in the UK) to kill a virus.

But, transmission of a virus may well decrease as people's immune systems improve in better weather. So the end result is much the same. The obvious example is flu. Very few people contract flu in Spring and Summer.

• Like 1