The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

The Stationmaster

Message added by AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I'm also half expecting to be stopped by the Police on my next delivery run.

John

11 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Any specific reasons that you take this view, John?

It's the 24 x 36 packs of toilet roll teetering on the roof rack.............;)

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

My mother (91) and stepfather (86), who live ten miles away, have today had their prescriptions delivered by a local volunteer network that already existed but has ramped up its capacity very quickly.

John

We have our prescriptions delivered by the pharmacy (Boots) but last week they delivered and left out my Asthma inhalers (quite usual for them to forget as they are kept in the fridge at the pharmacy and when we used to collect we always had to remind them) but since last week I have been trying to ring the pharmacy at least 20 times a day without success, always busy/engaged........no other way to contact them without going in person.....bit frustrating really.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

As he is two days younger than me, I am watching news of him with interest. If he recovers it will give me hope. If he does not, I believe it may give hope to some others.....

And indeed 4 days younger than me!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I'm sure you are mostly aware that a British victim (yesterday?) was only 21 years old, just to reiterate, here is a story about a previously healthy 16 year old French girl who has died;

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200327/what-we-know-about-frances-youngest-coronavirus-victim?utm_source=piano&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=213&tpcc=thelocal_newsletter_fr&pnespid=i.E3qKBYCReN_5TNOj8L.hn.INsbU2FB6B7G_NU

" she did not have serious underlying health problems, according to her older sister Manon."

Tragic and further proof this thing can take anyone - no matter your age, condition, sex, background.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 'CHARD said:

Any specific reasons that you take this view, John?

Patrols have been quite actively stopping people around here and posing the question "is your journey really necessary?" for almost a week now.

Nothing wrong with that and I'd reckon mine was justified anyhow, but I usually go "the pretty way" which adds about five miles to the trip, and I'll have to stop that....

John

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Patrols have been quite actively stopping people around here and posing the question "is your journey really necessary?" for almost a week now.

Nothing wrong with that and I'd reckon mine was justified anyhow, but I usually go "the pretty way" which adds about five miles to the trip, and I'll have to stop that....

John

If the 'pretty way' is quieter and potentially/ statistically safer from an incident/ accident POV then it may be the better route.

8 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

I have absolutely no problem with what you said, there and would have the same reaction, as it is in-line with the spirit of SI.  

However.....  perhaps I'm missing something about where the risk to others comes from, when I sit in a metal box, on a road, windows up etc.  I fully get and support isolation and have no intention of irritating the local boys in blue, far from it.  I wonder why a person, living in a fairly crowded town/city location, would be putting others at risk by driving to {a reasonably close} location with far less people, in order to get some exercise.

The question came into mind, as I listened to a Senior Police Officer, on the radio, saying that Isolation was very important {absolutely} and gave very good reasons to reinforce his point.  Very good and well put too, but then he said something to the effect that this included driving in a car and it just raised the question as to why this might be, what I might have missed?

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jcredfer said:

I have absolutely no problem with what you said, there and would have the same reaction, as it is in-line with the spirit of SI.  

However.....  perhaps I'm missing something about where the risk to others comes from, when I sit in a metal box, on a road, windows up etc.  I fully get and support isolation and have no intention of irritating the local boys in blue, far from it.  I wonder why a person, living in a fairly crowded town/city location, would be putting others at risk by driving to {a reasonably close} location with far less people, in order to get some exercise.

The question came into mind, as I listened to a Senior Police Officer, on the radio, saying that Isolation was very important {absolutely} and gave very good reasons to reinforce his point.  Very good and well put too, but then he said something to the effect that this included driving in a car and it just raised the question as to why this might be, what I might have missed?

Julian

I see the logic of your argument, but the problem, as revealed last weekend, is that we all want to do it, probably at the same time, i.e. a nice day. Thus we herd to beauty spots and risk making the sort of crowd that is deemed unhealthy. Next thing the burger/ice cream van will be there, too..... Draconian measures are considered necessary, and I can see why. Pain now may enable pleasure sooner rather than later. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

I see the logic of your argument, but the problem, as revealed last weekend, is that we all want to do it, probably at the same time, i.e. a nice day. Thus we herd to beauty spots and risk making the sort of crowd that is deemed unhealthy. Next thing the burger/ice cream van will be there, too..... Draconian measures are considered necessary, and I can see why. Pain now may enable pleasure sooner rather than later. 

I get that point but it could be handled better, rather than saying "you're putting others at risk" (by isolating yourself in a metal box to get to somewhere with few people) they should be saying "Yes, we know it'll rule out a lot of perfectly sensible and healthy ways of getting out but unfrotuantely it just isn't practical to deal with the sorts of hotspots seen last week." That approach would get a lot more sympathy I think, and fewer people trying to dodge around it.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

John, out of interest what area would this be?

Very good and well put too, but then he said something to the effect that this included driving in a car and it just raised the question as to why this might be, what I might have missed?

I believe (heard on the radio) they are concerned about the risks to all those who have to turn up and help when you are in an accident, same with those taking their exercise in remote areas, they are putting the mountain rescue teams at risk.

Edited by Grovenor
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think the nuance to this is the impact of something happening to you in a remote location.  Not only are you more at risk of a road accident the further you go, but any response from medics out in the wilds is stretching their scarce resource unnecessarily. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The police would be hard put to block anyone round here, our weekend / night compliment of police covering an area 40miles long by 10 to twenty miles deep is..... 4..

There is definitely more people out and about than normal.. 

Yes, our cycling club issued advice to members last week not to go out too adventurously on their own (group rides suspended due to the danger of riding in a mist of the person in front’s sweat and snot), to avoid accident risks that would tax the emergency services, particularly the NHS.

Very sensible, I thought. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The police would be hard put to block anyone round here, our weekend / night compliment of police covering an area 40miles long by 10 to twenty miles deep is..... 4..

There is definitely more people out and about than normal.. 

Sherry tells me there has been tv footage of a couple with dog up on the moors, followed by a drone. Car reg is clearly visible. Authority is taking this seriously, whether or not we choose to. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just thought - groups of only two. The other day two of my neighbours were having a chat (standing apart) and I joined in from an upstairs window, hope that doesn't count as three!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I think the nuance to this is the impact of something happening to you in a remote location.  Not only are you more at risk of a road accident the further you go, but any response from medics out in the wilds is stretching their scarce resource unnecessarily. 

the other thing that was mentioned somewhere in the media is that a lot of mountain rescue volunteers are medical or emergency workers in their day jobs, so they may be at lower capacity to begin with,

• Agree 1

Going into Stamford yesterday for food and the bank, the town was very quiet indeed, and people were obviously obeying the rules.

It seems to me that the test will come in two to three weeks time, particularly over Easter if the weather is good, and by then folk may be getting a bit weary. As some Chief Police officers have noted, they can only police by consent, and whilst fines can be issued there are only so many officers available.

Just an observation, this lockdown will have been excellent if it means we don't see a collapse in parts of the NHS.

John.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Sherry tells me there has been tv footage of a couple with dog up on the moors, followed by a drone. Car reg is clearly visible. Authority is taking this seriously, whether or not we choose to. 

Yes, that was Derbyshire.

But there is a problem here. Our daughter and family are stuck in a house, in Calderdale, with no garden. Their nearest open space is across the road, but one venture there revealed dozens (hundreds?) of people strolling, sunbathing and the rest. So they have ventured further afield, up onto the Moors, to get away from other people and give their kids some exercise and stimulus. But that is, strictly speaking, illegal.

What to do?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The Japanese have released a medical report into the passengers stranded on the Diamond Princess cruise ship a while back. It reveals some interesting results which seem to have not been mentioned on the national news. 

I will not comment, because I might be accused of spreading irresponsible information in a time of a world crisis - but you may like to read the link to the Japan Times. 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/25/national/science-health/80pc-diamond-princess-coronavirus-mild-symptoms/#.Xn5OSi-cbLE

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Julian

Thank you for the answers to my question, interesting thoughts.  The point about putting an RAC {or other company} at risk, should you have a breakdown, was echoed by my wife, over dinner and clearly makes sense.  Many of the points are about some people causing the decision, because they didn't use their common sense, thus causing the powers that be to say, "none".  Frankly, I can see that, too { I did spend many years as a secondary teacher, where flat rules were sometimes required} and my own co-operation with that is no big deal.

Thank you all.

Julian

Julian

• Like 1

Jonny

There is a lot more detail of the subject covered in the link you posted in a report linked from the BBC website, all kosher stuff. Unfortunately, I can’t find it again among the huge amount of material!

It looks at the role of symptomless carriers in spreading the virus, which seems, in summary to be Very Important.

K

• Like 1