The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Stationmaster

Corona-virus - Impact of the Health Situation worldwide

AY Mod

Please don't rely on an RMweb topic as being a reliable guide to what is happening or what you should be doing on such an important issue as Coronavirus; consult government resources or seek medical advice through the appropriate channel if you are in doubt.

Message added by AY Mod

3 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It would be interesting to know whether it was 'formal', an FA registered team practising, or informal, some blokes who get together to play, because I think the FA has not messaged very clearly at all on this topic .......... go to their website even now and the banner about Covid-19 takes you not to health-protection advice/instructions, but:

We have been working collaboratively with the National League System (NLS), the women’s football pyramid and the wider grassroots game since the outbreak of COVID-19 on how to conclude the 2019-20 season in the most appropriate way possible.

Which gives the impression that their primary concern has been how to sort out a mess of half-finished league tables (which was always going to be a problem after the proportion of games postponed due to waterlogged pitches anyway), rather than to protect participants from their own excessive enthusiasm.

It was left to local guys, amateurs way down the chain, to make the call as to when to suspend leagues, and from what I can work out from my son's team's experience it was left to individual team coaches to decide when to suspend practices.

Does seem blooming odd to be practising now, even if it is their "one exercise a day" and they've somehow devised a way of keeping a long way from each other, though, because most teams draw from a wide compass, so attending practice often involves "unnecessary travel".

If anyone knows better than I about how the FA have dealt with their responsibility to 'grassroots' players over this topic, feel free to correct me and I will amend this post.

They seemed to be very informal and were making no attempt to maintain separation whereas I saw a couple of blokes at the other end of the fields who were practising in  a more strucutred way but clearly were maintaining two metre separation (and not using the same ball)  as were all the golfers I saw on the local public  course earlier.

1 hour ago, robert17649 said:

helluva time to get hay fever!

You can get Rhinitis any time, not just from grass etc.

I get it in the winter months, possibly from fungal spores.*

Currently I have intermittent runny nose and dry cough but I have had both on and off since late autumn.

I used to get hay fever bad in the summer from pollen but it has dimished much as I have got older.

*GPs suggestion, not tested.

Edited by melmerby
Somehow hay was replaced by "kat" and I don't use a spell checker
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Currently I have intermittent runny nose and dry cough

Same herebut for different reasons. It makes for some embarassing moments when shopping in supermarkets! l feel like I should wear a sign informing onlookers that I am not infected!

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

the pre-booked taxi I was in took a diversion through Alum Rock and I was astonished at how many people were gathering together on the streets, mostly outside takeaways and some were spitting food put onto the pavement.... the mind boggles sometimes  it really does.

Knowing Alum Rock Road quite well and the people that live there it may be due to their beliefs as it was reported from Bangladesh about a week ago when the Government were trying to stop people gathering in large numbers an Imam organised a mass "pray-in" at which around 25000 attended to ask Allah for deliverance! Religion was obvious much more powerful than medical science.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Religion was obvious much more powerful than medical science.

There can be a strange faithful fatalism about deeply religious people. "God willing" can be rendered in many languages and it often seems to be said with a sense of resignation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nearholmer said:

There can be a strange faithful fatalism about deeply religious people. "God willing" can be rendered in many languages and it often seems to be said with a sense of resignation.

That is kind of the whole point of the way such people behave.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

You have just made me waste about an hour of my precious time, googling/playing all the possible versions of Ca Plane Pour Moi,  including an absolutely ghastly one by Metallica, and an unfortunate one by Kim Wilde.

I was going to learn the lyrics (one day), so that I could play it with the three chords I know on the guitar, but have now decided that would not end in the result I was expecting. Vive le Plastic!!

This is by far the best version

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

A tragically good quote emerged yesterday. The news that a healthy 21-y-o girl had died of Covid-19 in High Wycombe was accompanied by inevitably heart-rending quotes from mother, and an aunt. It was the latter that struck me as encapsulating just what is going on

"The virus isn't spreading - people are spreading the virus."

• Like 2
  • Agree 13

No guarantee that it is correct but a reliable source at my local club tells me that the FA has expunged results at lower levels. I think that means no  change to league status for next season.

12 hours ago, Neil said:

This decision is troubling;I would have hoped in these times that pragmatism would trump dogma.

Now while there is a political dimension to this I've posted purely because I think we need to be as well informed as possible. I'd be disappointed if we spiral off into our tribal camps and take chunks out of each other. With the threats we face health and economic we need to do all we can to look after each other and this includes not ratcheting up Andy's workload.

11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Purchasing power is all very well if there is the capacity and ability to make stuff.  I can't see that a block of countries could move any quicker than we already are.

There is no way that we can know this one way or the other. What the decision does is  expose a division in approach, cooperation vs an almost wilful independence. From my layman's position it seems as though cooperation is required to beat the virus. We have been asked to act cooperatively, reduce contact to the minimum, buy only what we need, stay at home. At an international level there are a couple of 'oven ready' organisations in a position to facilitate cooperation between countries, globally the World Health Organisation and regionally the European Union.  Our government appear to have problems working with both. It puts me in mind of the Western Region's attitude to being part of British Railways, an almost contrary desire to do things differently and a sense of exceptionalism.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Me too.  But those symptoms do not resemble those of the nasty lurgy doing the rounds.

In other news there may only be one walk outside per day but I can still find myself in the right place at the right time with the camera.  Venus and crescent moon .....

73C59465-7B76-42DD-998D-4E1AA538BCAA_1_201_a.jpeg

Great picture, Rick, but it reminds me of this. It will be in your head all day........:D

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

42 minutes ago, robert17649 said:

No guarantee that it is correct but a reliable source at my local club tells me that the FA has expunged results at lower levels. I think that means no  change to league status for next season.

Just confirmed on TV sports news. Chairman of South Shields extremely unhappy.

56 minutes ago, robert17649 said:

Yes, was on BBC Late last night, all leagues lower than 7th tier expunged. No promotions or relegations.

I thought the whole point was to be isolationist just now....

Is the thread going political now? Personally I don't mind political argument but we either allow politics or we don't.  What seems to be happening is people are laying into the government,  Trump and the US and taking political points at the same time as saying let's keep politics out of it.

• Agree 5

12 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

What seems to be happening is people are laying into the government

It is a political issue but I am removing silly jibes about our government* when I notice them.

* I can't do much about Trump, in a different league. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Is the thread going political now? Personally I don't mind political argument but we either allow politics or we don't.  What seems to be happening is people are laying into the government,  Trump and the US and taking political points at the same time as saying let's keep politics out of it.

Whether it's political or not the Government's performance has to be measured in whatever media and issues especially the NHS brought to the forefront when all this mess is over.

2 hours ago, robert17649 said:

Yes, they announced that yesterday or the day before.

My grumble isn’t about league places, which are trivial things in the grand scheme, but how FA-central messaged over the health implications of playing and practising football, or rather didn’t.

1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

Sorry, that might be me. I'm trying hard to keep party politics out of it and set tribal loyalties to one side. It's difficult when the government is the management and you feel that the situation is being poorly managed for it not to come across as political. For me it genuinely is a managerial issue and that's why I likened it to the WR go it alone approach. 

Also a couple of other bits of news have come my way, both from the Netherlands, one positive, one less so.

In the Netherlands an escalating series of directions were given to the citizens, much like us here, It looks like these measures have brought down the number of people one person with the virus can infect to just under one. Though they will see an increase in hospital cases as those infected work there way through the system there is hope that the virus will slowly peter out.

Less good is the news that mass testing is being hampered in the Netherlands by a major drugs company. It's explained here in Dutch Review. Whether this also hampers UK efforts to scale up testing I don't know.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Neil said:

There is no way that we can know this one way or the other. What the decision does is  expose a division in approach, cooperation vs an almost wilful independence. From my layman's position it seems as though cooperation is required to beat the virus. We have been asked to act cooperatively, reduce contact to the minimum, buy only what we need, stay at home. At an international level there are a couple of 'oven ready' organisations in a position to facilitate cooperation between countries, globally the World Health Organisation and regionally the European Union.  Our government appear to have problems working with both. It puts me in mind of the Western Region's attitude to being part of British Railways, an almost contrary desire to do things differently and a sense of exceptionalism.

Your first point in bold may be correct, but what this crisis has shown is that even if you are in a big club such as the EU there has been an unwillingness of partner countries to help each other.

Quote from the Guardian last night

Earlier in the day, the European commission president, Ursula von der Leyen, rebuked member states for “looking out for themselves” during the early phases of the crisis.

Taking an unusually critical tone, she said the story of the past few weeks had been partly a painful one.

“When Europe really needed an all-for-one spirit, too many initially gave an only-for-me response. And when Europe really needed to prove that this is not only a fair weather union, too many initially refused to share their umbrella,” she told members of the European parliament in a sparsely-attended session in Brussels to vote through emergency measures..........EU leaders are increasingly worried they are losing “the battle of narratives”, after Russia and China rushed to aid Italy, while European neighbours failed initially to respond to Rome’s calls for help. The EU’s chief diplomat, Josep Borrell, wrote earlier this week that there was “a struggle for influence through spinning” of “the politics of generosity”

On the second point in Bold.  Again you may be correct that those 2 organisations are so large that they can help others, but in regard of this trumpeted procurement process, all the EU are doing is trying to tie up supplies from around the world.  On top of this it has banned any export of medical supplies to countries outside of the EU which is tough if you are a struggling 3rd world country without the production capability.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-eu-limit-exports-medical-equipment/

The question I wanted answering was what has the Commision ordered.  The answer was, masks type 2 and 3, gloves, goggles, face-shields, surgical masks and overalls. The supplies of these will be available around 8th April.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_523

Probably not going to be much help to Italy & Spain by then.

In times like these people see what they think is a solution and jump on it, the more I read about this the more I see a group of nations with their own agendas. Just look at how much partner countries have helped Italy and Spain with equipment so far.

Quote from the FT

Meanwhile in Madrid, doctors and local authorities have been pleading with the central government for more equipment. “We need more supplies,” said Enrique Ruiz Escudero, the top medical official of the Madrid region, as he issued an “SOS” to central government. Ventilators are a key concern as local authorities in the capital city seek to triple intensive care beds in coming days. Hospital staff hold told the Spanish press that their regular suppliers do not have products in stock and have criticised Germany for imposing export controls — which Berlin has pledged to relax.

And I thought the EU was a free and open market between member states.......:rolleyes:

This is difficult to write about without it being taken as political, my own thoughts are that it's about the procurement process and whether one player is better than another, which they clearly aren't.  It's likely that this ordering is just being used as a political football to kick between opposing teams.

As for gloves etc I am giving blood later today and have had and read the latest advice about attending. It's explained that gloves etc won't be used as it is better to clean hands etc  to avoid contamination.  

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is surely politics with a small p. Governments everywhere watch the Italian horrors and know there will be political change there when this is all over. "Don't let this happen to us!" is the mantra driving decisions. 

• Agree 1

I don't see how we can know during the present stages of our crisis whether our government got it right or wrong. 

We seem to be ahead of others in commissioning the huge field hospitals, we may yet get the quanitity of new ventilators the NHS thinks it needs before the peak.

We will only truly know in a few months once past the worst and the actual infections & mortality can be analysed. Lets hope that the 3rd world doesn't yet go the way of Italy & America in terms of accelerated spread but with a death toll to match.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

A sobering thought for the front line medical staff.

As of yesterday, 44 doctors have died as a result of Covid-19 in Lombardy alone.

• Friendly/supportive 2