Peco Spring report 2020

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MPR said:

I’d like see a very tight radius OO set track curve, possibly implemented as inlaid track, somewhere between 6.5” and 9” radius to allow the truly space-starved to have a continuous run for their Barclays and Pecketts plus short wheelbase wagons.

If it were about 8" or 9" radius - with switches of similar radius, it might also be of interest to some people who run HO trams on their layouts. (I seem to recall the Roco #43189 model of a Düwag articulated tramcar being designed to go round 200mm curves.)

Whilst on the subject of tramways, I also seem to recall reading about a very tightly curved link between the Blackpool tramways and a nearby railway line, used to transfer coal wagons. I believe that a very short wheelbase 4 wheel electric locomotive might also have been procured for this work.

8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I'd very much agree about the desirability of inlaid track, either as an insert, or complete track sections.  

49 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Tillig Luna tram track offers that, at a cost.

To be honest, some of us might prefer it if Peco were to offer something like this. If nothing else, this might improve the chances of it being compatible with their more standard track.

A small selection of tramway style "overhead electrification" poles - plus wire "junctions" and "pull offs" (to allow overhead wires to conform to tightly curved track) might also appeal to some of us.

Huw.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The N-gauge wagon re-tool is a positive development but the first model appears to be already well-covered by Farish. Wouldn't some of the missing types be a better bet, although these are on a 10 ft chassis? (I'm referring particularly to the 'high' opens and pallet vans)

12 minutes ago, Crepello said:

The N-gauge wagon re-tool is a positive development but the first model appears to be already well-covered by Farish. Wouldn't some of the missing types be a better bet, although these are on a 10 ft chassis? (I'm referring particularly to the 'high' opens and pallet vans)

On the other hand, the old PECO wooden open wagons were some of the ugliest most compromised mouldings in the range. Just put one next to a Farish 1923 open, or a Mathieson 1907 open - the shape is totally wrong, and the sides ridiculously thick. However the Mathieson wagon is no longer available, and with Farish's supply problems, new wagons are very few, far between, and expensive. (the less said about the Dapol mineral that accompanied their range of "shrink ray" of the old Dublo wagons with steel chassis, the better).

PECO churn out N gauge wagons at a high rate, in a really wide range of liveries and numbers, and take small batch commissions,  so the fact they will finally have an accurate mineral wagon will probably be a bigger benefit to N gauge modelling overall! 

Justin

19 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The shrink ray was applied to the old Airfix circa 1980 range, not Hornby Dublo.

Thanks Bernard - quite right on the open wagons. I'm pretty sure the gunpowder and grain wagons from Dapol are direct shrink rays of the Dublo models though? Hence my confusion of the ranges.

• Agree 1

Ah, I thought you were talking about the 12ft wheelbase types Justin. I think you're right on the gunpowder van and they were looking at shrinking down the HD grain wagon for the 12ft chassis before I sent them drawings of the actual grain wagons; they ended up doing a pretty good job on those; correct longer body and shorter (10' 6") wheelbase. The 10ft w.b. 7-plank is Airfix again while the 6-wheel milk tank is very like the old Lima version.

Edited by BernardTPM

I wonder if the new tooling on steam era open wagons will see the later chassis (the type under TTA etc) retooled in time and brought up to modern standards? That'd be a boon for kit and scratch building

Jo

• Like 1

I gotta say I look forward to the OHLE coming. That's the one item that's sure to be a hit with electric modellers like myself. Hopefully it won't be as complex or fiddly to assemble as the single masts. As great as they are, there not easy to assemble with fiddly hands!

The streamline range would benefit from a  Y point between those offered in it, as almost a streamlined tweak of the Setrack Y. On the other had a complete rethink of that range is long overdue removing the unauthentic pivot joint in the closure rails. One other item that would benefit from a sensible retool are the 3rd rail conductor rail chairs so that the two parts glue together at the location of the change in required painting of them

I'm hoping the 13 ton hopper has been progressed in a meaningful way since the rendering shown at Warley 2018, the catalogue photograph is of this test model again. It had pretty much been taken this far before Peco took ownership of Parkside, so it would be nice to finally get it over the line. 

Paul A. 

• Agree 2

I am not much of a "wish lister" and maybe I should email Peco myself - But I to would like to see a Y point or two in the BH track range.

They seem to be one of those things that are much more common in reality than on model railways.

On 29/01/2020 at 22:53, BernardTPM said:

They could start with just some straight inset track for dockside situations and maybe work from there if they're popular.

I think they did consider inset track at one time.

I designed my own range of 3D printed inset track , just add the rails. I do have an idea, for something which would not be 3D printed, just need someoe to take it on.

Nice to see OO setrack with unifrogs. I suspect they were coming up for renewal. If anyone wants a tighter radius, then the original Setrack curved point was first radius. I think Peco abandoned it , when r2r models were being produced that needed a minmum of seond radius. I have never had a problem with running small locos on Setrack,. The main problem is not the frog but poor contact between the point blades and the ajoining rail. I fixed this problem by hardwiring the point blades so they are always powered. I think Peco had considered doing this, as there is a gap under one sleeper to run a thin wire.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Nice to see OO setrack with unifrogs. I suspect they were coming up for renewal.

Its actually the O gauge setrack with Unifrog, which I think is a new tooling anyway. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 29/01/2020 at 19:14, Huw Griffiths said:

Whilst on the subject of tramways, I also seem to recall reading about a very tightly curved link between the Blackpool tramways and a nearby railway line, used to transfer coal wagons. I believe that a very short wheelbase 4 wheel electric locomotive might also have been procured for this work

This got me curious to learn more and found this if its of interest.

https://www.tramway.co.uk/trams/blackpool-corporation-no-717/

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...