4 hours ago, lmsforever said:

.........After all the vitriol poured out on this thread I hope now that it will concentrate on very complex project.   I shall post on construction nearby as an when something happens.

It's a big ask, but I really hope you are able to post info and hopefully some photos, as you are so close to the construction of the line.

It would go a long way in restoring any ill-feeling that may have built up on either side, as a result of all the argy-bargy on this topic.

After all, most members (and others) reading this thread, will be quite interested in construction progress.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

I will have to learn how to transfer pics but I now have skype so its not impossible1

Do you have a computer?

If so transfers from cameras/phones/tablets are a doddle.

As long as the size is within RMWeb's maximum it will load straight to a post.

If they are too big you can reduce them with whatever image manipulation program is installed.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, lmsforever said:

I will have to learn how to transfer pics but I now have skype so its not impossible1

If you get stuck there are plenty of people on here who will help.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

As far as I understand it, it's one of those ponds that are built alongside motorways to contain run-off from the road, allowing for a controlled discharge into a waterway.

Invisible ink again! There is one on the River Mersey near Northenden. You can see the penstocks from the M60 going towards Stockport, just on the approach to Junction 3

Edited by 62613

4 minutes ago, 62613 said:

Invisible ink again! There is one on the River Mersey near Northenden. You can see the penstocks from the M60 going towards Stockport, just on the approach to Junction 3

I think we just posted at the same time. One thing neither of us mentioned was that the balancing ponds also serve to retain pollution, should there be a spillage of some sort. The ones I've noticed on the motorways have sluice-gates on the outlets, so that spillages can be intercepted.

• Agree 1

Not all balancing ponds have penstocks, most of the ones I’ve built haven’t but have a device known as a hydrobrake built into the outlet. This is basically a device which stops the flow exceeding a set amount, typically equivalent to ‘green field run off’ 

so in heavy rain, the ponds acts as the reservoir to hold the water back from the streams & rivers in the same way a green field would have done. no increase in flood risk then arises from the new infrastructure.

Pretty much ever major infrastructure project now has these in some form. Oversize buried pipes can be used in place of a pond or a structure known as egg crates (as that’s basically what you bury) to store the water with a hydrobrake in the outlet.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

14 hours ago, 62613 said:

I must apologise to you too. My computer alerted me to a reply to this topic, so I clicked on it and it took me to the post by Fat Controller, who i duly thanked for his input. I therefore missed yours entirely and have just noticed it and thanked you as well.

5 hours ago, JeffP said:

I must apologise to you too. My computer alerted me to a reply to this topic, so I clicked on it and it took me to the post by Fat Controller, who i duly thanked for his input. I therefore missed yours entirely and have just noticed it and thanked you as well.

Absolutely no apology necessary! I dived in as well, without noting the time of your answer.

Edited by 62613

• RMweb Premium

Yes, there are at least two settlement tanks which were built in connection with the new Newtown bypass. They are empty much of the time, but after heavy rain they start full and gradually empty. I haven't noticed what the control is. I imagine that they would also trap any undesirable fluids from road vehicles.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Not all balancing ponds have penstocks, most of the ones I’ve built haven’t but have a device known as a hydrobrake built into the outlet. This is basically a device which stops the flow exceeding a set amount, typically equivalent to ‘green field run off’ 

so in heavy rain, the ponds acts as the reservoir to hold the water back from the streams & rivers in the same way a green field would have done. no increase in flood risk then arises from the new infrastructure.

Pretty much ever major infrastructure project now has these in some form. Oversize buried pipes can be used in place of a pond or a structure known as egg crates (as that’s basically what you bury) to store the water with a hydrobrake in the outlet.

If those egg crates are what I think they are, Polypipe in Horncastle used to make them from the off-cuts and scrap recycled from the uPVC window industry.

Milton Keynes has many balancing lakes, some quite large to control the outflow into the Ouse so that Bedford etc. downstream doesn't flood. Cycling after dark one evening many years ago I rode my bike through the spillway under H6 Childs Way which is the end of The Teardrop lakes. They had become one big lake and the level was a couple of inches from the top of the spillway, and fortunately the reflected light in the water from the Redway lights stopped me from hoping over the wall onto what was a very flooded cycle path. The lights were all still working, so all the connections and control gear is installed at the top of the posts and not the bottom as usual.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I don't understand this - if parliament can resume using remote tech, then surely committees can as well?

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/hs2/hs2-parliamentary-hearings-delayed-23-04-2020/

Parliament is relatively easy - Parliament provides the technology to all the MP's and things proceed.

Hearings though involve outside parties, which makes things a lot more complicated - particularly if some people don't have technology to use to connect.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, mdvle said:

Parliament is relatively easy - Parliament provides the technology to all the MP's and things proceed.

Hearings though involve outside parties, which makes things a lot more complicated - particularly if some people don't have technology to use to connect.

Parliamentary committees are meeting and taking evidence again.   I caught some of Yesterday in Parliament this morning while out and about and there were several committee reports so maybe this news is now out of date.  The Lords is sitting as well as the commons so I guess the Lord's committees will be in session.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This seems to have slipped under the radar on here. Hero Granger-Taylor has been granted permission to bring a case against HS2. It will be heard on May 13 and 14th in the High Court. The claim is in respect of possible damage caused by the tunnel that will be very close to a high retaining wall near her property at Park Village East. For those who are not familiar with the location there are some Georgian houses there currently in the £3m range. She is represented by Hodge Jones & Allen. Colin Elliff, who some might have heard of,

has written a report that seems to be the basis of the case. No doubt some readers will be able to fill in some more details.

Bernard  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

This seems to have slipped under the radar on here. Hero Granger-Taylor has been granted permission to bring a case against HS2. It will be heard on May 13 and 14th in the High Court. The claim is in respect of possible damage caused by the tunnel that will be very close to a high retaining wall near her property at Park Village East. For those who are not familiar with the location there are some Georgian houses there currently in the £3m range. She is represented by Hodge Jones & Allen. Colin Elliff, who some might have heard of,

has written a report that seems to be the basis of the case. No doubt some readers will be able to fill in some more details.

Bernard  

Judging by his history I do wonder if Mr Elliff could be described as a wholly objective and disinterested party in respect of matters connected with HS2?  However as far as any High Court (??) case is concerned I don't doubt that 'expert witnesses' (various) will have a field day advancing their views and opinions in respect of what ought really be no more than a question of practical civil engineering.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Judging by his history I do wonder if Mr Elliff could be described as a wholly objective and disinterested party in respect of matters connected with HS2?  However as far as any High Court (??) case is concerned I don't doubt that 'expert witnesses' (various) will have a field day advancing their views and opinions in respect of what ought really be no more than a question of practical civil engineering.

I suppose they have to try and struggle to make a living in these trying times.

Jamie

• Funny 7

24 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard  

If this retaining Wall is built to normal Georgian building methods with shallow but broad foundations and a soft lime based cement it should survive well as it is self healing. Modern cement is far too hard and cracks.

There are plenty of examples of such in large houses where they are gently curving up and down.

If there was that much concern about this wall then the current Crossrail project would never have even been contemplated, almost sounds like Ambulance chasing and or a way of getting someone else to pay your repair bill if you cam blame someone else!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4