l think the wall is the side of the WCML cutting so definitely not Georgian, probably dating to the LNWR's rebuilding in the early 20th century.  But in terms of tunneling nearby, Crossrail did similar with some of the tunnels of the Underground.  

I would have thought the solution to this is to install the usual monitors for movement and stop and re-consider if they detect any.   In a project of a few billions buying out or rebuilding some houses isn't a big deal, even if they are worth £3m each.  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

l think the wall is the side of the WCML cutting so definitely not Georgian, probably dating to the LNWR's rebuilding in the early 20th century.  But in terms of tunneling nearby, Crossrail did similar with some of the tunnels of the Underground.  

Agree now I‘ve  looked into where it is.

Seems to be a worse case scenario.

A perverse use of human rights legislation!

https://www.hja.net/press-releases/hs2-faces-legal-action-over-breach-of-human-rights-and-risk-to-life/

1 hour ago, Edwin_m said:

l think the wall is the side of the WCML cutting so definitely not Georgian, probably dating to the LNWR's rebuilding in the early 20th century.  

I think you are correct as the report states that the wall is 120 years old.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

If her house is worth £3m why does she need crowd funding?

And I fail to see what human rights would be breached, The project has been approved by Act of Parliament so it must have considered the balance between public and private good.

It is interesting that she admits that the house is subsiding anyway. It would be very hard to prove that any further subsidence was caused by or not caused by HS2 work.

Plenty of work for the lawyers then, and little benefit for anyone else.

Would the easiest course be for HS2 to buy the land from the Crown Estates without compulsory purchase?

But in any case HS2 must have considered the risk of the wall collapsing as it would have a much bigger impact on the railway than it would on her house.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Well, no one can argue that the worst case scenario is not a catastrophic collapse. That is what the tunnellers are paid to avoid and they are pretty good at it these days. I was involved with the Monitoring where crossrail passed under the DLR and the monitoring alone was a major task.

That looks to me like an attempt at magnifying the risks to attract crowd funding from gullible people toallow a legal beanfeast, then the HS2 side of the legal stuff falls onto the taxpayers.

All the demanding of detail design work to prove their is no risk is just , the contractor won't have that much detail yet, just general satement os the principles of mitigating the risks.

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

https://www.hja.net/press-releases/hs2-faces-legal-action-over-breach-of-human-rights-and-risk-to-life/

Human rights are the "catch all" that legal eagles like to make money out of.

People these days constantly bleat, with something they don't like,  "It's against my human rights"

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, corneliuslundie said:

If her house is worth £3m why does she need crowd funding?

I daresay the anti-HS2 brigade will pile in with anything they think might stop the whole thing, as they probably did with Packham.  Perhaps when costs are awarded in that case (have they been yet?) it might prompt pause for thought.  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Agree 2

Fairly standard action for this sort of work (apart from the crowdfunding). I dealt with dozens of them. Almost all lost. The only one I can recall that "won", was in relation to an enlarged cutting (at Filton Abbey Wood) whereby we had purchased the ends of gardens and funded a new boundary wall. But we had missed one - right at the end, and marginal to say the least. We settled out of court for that (peanuts effectively). 

The most important thing for HS2 to watch is whether this could set a precedent in law, or at least a precedent for that stretch of work. If there is any merit, stand by for a sudden withdrawal, meaning an undisclosed settlement, not to be reported publicly. £3m could easily turn into £30m or more, along the row.

But as others have said, given the mitigations that are now standard for such works, the likelihood of merit for the subsidence case is remote.

• Informative/Useful 3

Amongst the survey flights that are more apparent these days was this yesterday, presumably along the HS2 route....? Today's was in the Leamington area so the next might be in the Kenilworth to Birmingham section.

Screenshot_20200424-163908.png

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

We had one of those things doing the same thing down this way a couple of days ago, Italian registered, up and down for a couple of hours, over to the Isle of Wight and back again. Perhaps they're going to connect it to HS2.

• Funny 5

51 minutes ago, PhilH said:

We had one of those things doing the same thing down this way a couple of days ago, Italian registered, up and down for a couple of hours, over to the Isle of Wight and back again. Perhaps they're going to connect it to HS2.

We also had one over our house, realising that it might be for Google Earth (current photo predates the EV so must be 3+ years old), so left it a message....

IMG_20200424_152521.jpg

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

15 hours ago, 298 said:

Amongst the survey flights that are more apparent these days was this yesterday, presumably along the HS2 route....? Today's was in the Leamington area so the next might be in the Kenilworth to Birmingham section.

Screenshot_20200424-163908.png

Have noticed an increase in flights like this on air radar  wondered what they were .  thanks

I managed to watch (most of) the re-run of the Transport Select Committee from Friday, solely about HS2. Very, very interesting but nothing terribly revelatory. John Armitt, giving evidence, was superb in the way he contextualised all the issues, by comparing them to other grand schemes and previous cases from the UK and around the world.

One key fact was about the decision to keep 18 trains per hour as the spec - he emphasised that LGV lines in France had been built to lower frequency specifications, to keep costs down, but since then, the French have wanted to increase frequencies, despite double-deckers, and found it to be horrendously expensive.

The "new" Minister for HS2, Trans-Pennine Upgrade and Northern Powerhouse, Andrew Stephenson, was actually quite impressive. One thing he said though, was, as well as the Euston Complex, that HS2 Phase 2B would be developed by somebody/something other than HS2 Ltd (to leave HS2 Ltd to concentrate on delivering Phases 1 and 2A). This kind of contradicted what the CEO of HS2 Ltd said about the work. I have not seen anything else about this - does anyone know?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 24/04/2020 at 14:21, Mark Saunders said:

I see according to the press release, she is claiming her house is already unstable, in which case it could well be already a danger to herself and worth very little!

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I see according to the press release, she is claiming her house is already unstable, in which case it could well be already a danger to herself and worth very little!

All extra ammo for the defence team.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

She also says parts of the roads nearby are sinking ! Constructing HS2 would surely be a great opportunity to sort these issues out.

Still, at least she isn't over-dramatising the issue, talking about 'a catastrophic collapse which, as well as having a disastrous effect on the infrastructure, could put the personal safety of hundreds of rail travellers and residents at risk.'

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, caradoc said:

Still, at least she isn't over-dramatising the issue, talking about 'a catastrophic collapse which, as well as having a disastrous effect on the infrastructure, could put the personal safety of hundreds of rail travellers and residents at risk.'

I take it you are being sarcastic! Difficult to be sure in print.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Looks like the crusty jugglers are up trees protesting about HS2. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-52488267

What annoyed me a bit about this article was it comes across as supporting or giving the side of the protesters, but they are damaging the area of woodland not being touched by HS2, building haybale buildings, tree houses etc and numerouse vehicles all be it on private land. Where in the article is the enviromental and wildlife inpact of these protesters. One is quoted as I used to be a tress surgeon ie I made a living out of cutting down trees now I have decided we should not. Very poor article, usual livestyly protesters moving around longing for a cause to maintain their chosen livestyle.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

Ah, yes. What my dad always called "the vociferous minority".

Sadly, we now attach far too much credence to anyone who can shout loudly. You only have to look at that lunatic outside parliament with the megaphone.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tricky-CRS said:

What annoyed me a bit about this article was it comes across as supporting or giving the side of the protesters, but they are damaging the area of woodland not being touched by HS2, building haybale buildings, tree houses etc and numerouse vehicles all be it on private land. Where in the article is the enviromental and wildlife inpact of these protesters. One is quoted as I used to be a tress surgeon ie I made a living out of cutting down trees now I have decided we should not. Very poor article, usual livestyly protesters moving around longing for a cause to maintain their chosen livestyle.

I saw the news article and that ex-tree surgeon, who now calls himself Quercus = Oak, delivered his anti-HS2 rant (Heartbroken, devasted), without a shred of emotion, like he was reading from a magazine article.

Maybe he should consider calling himself Plank as he came across as thick as one.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4