• RMweb Premium

Is it me or should I have not expected to see  a time lapse video of the installation?:scratchhead::jester:

At least it went into place pretty early, so the M42 could re-open today instead of tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It's likely more video will be posted over the next 48 hrs or so; possibly including time-lapse.

It has indeed been completed early. Better than "on time" and on presumably on budget.

https://mediacentre.hs2.org.uk/news/hs2-installs-new-modular-bridge-over-m42-in-just-two-days?fbclid=IwAR0_gFIFz-3CE1TW7_62f86XfYO-CY5HNipUgWPtdA6JkG_Ujl8jaXx5oE0

• Like 1

There will be future HS2  work and closures on this stretch of the M42.

The two road bridges that form part of the  A452 roundabout, just to the north of this new bridge, will have to be demolished and the concrete box bridge that will carry the HS2 railway line over the motorway, will be constructed in their place at that location.

Looking at the location of the HS2 Birmingham Interchange on Google Maps, it appears to be quite some distance from the airport. Will the cable railway that connects Birmingham International to the Airport be extended to connect with it?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Looking at the location of the HS2 Birmingham Interchange on Google Maps, it appears to be quite some distance from the airport. Will the cable railway that connects Birmingham International to the Airport be extended to connect with it?

Yup thats the plan.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

9 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Yup thats the plan.

No, it’s not the plan,  the existing cable railway won’t be extended.

A new transit system is going to be built.

The route it takes, to avoid existing development (e.g. the NEC complex buildings), is something like 1.5 miles long.

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2019-07-16/hs2-reveals-designs-for-new-driverless-transport-system-which-will-connect-interchange-station-with-birmingham-airport

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It's likely more video will be posted over the next 48 hrs or so; possibly including time-lapse.

They did show a (very) short clip of time lapse on BBC Midlands Today yesterday.

It was only a very short bulletin and any more would have meant dumping other reports.

It's possible we might get a full one in today's 18:30 bulletin.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

The Chiltern tunnels TBMs are unveiled at the factory in Germany.

They will begin digging & forming the tunnel bores early in 2021

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-53726387

This has occured to me before but:

Do TBMs get re-used? 

They quite often seem to be newly made for the project. e.g. I believe some (all?) of the TBMs for the Channel Tunnel are buried under the channel.

Parts of the TBM can be returned to the manufacturer for re-use.  The cutting head itself often ends up buried or cut up, as it is bigger than the lining segments behind it so can only escape if there is a portal or big enough shaft in front of it. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, melmerby said:

This has occured to me before but:

Do TBMs get re-used? 

They quite often seem to be newly made for the project. e.g. I believe some (all?) of the TBMs for the Channel Tunnel are buried under the channel.

Only some of the tunnelling machines were driven into the ground under the Channel Tunnel. Parts of two others are to be seen at either end of the village of Coquelles, near the French terminal, whilst a third was used to bore the tunnels under the Saone and Rhone on the TEO bypass , north of the centre of Lyon. The problem, as Edwin says, is that part of the machines are bigger than the lined tunnels; further fitting-out work cannot be started until they have somehow been removed, and it is almost certainly more economic to scrap or bury them than to extricate them. The full cost of the machines, and other plant, will have been written into the cost of the project.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Only some of the tunnelling machines were driven into the ground under the Channel Tunnel. Parts of two others are to be seen at either end of the village of Coquelles, near the French terminal, whilst a third was used to bore the tunnels under the Saone and Rhone on the TEO bypass , north of the centre of Lyon. The problem, as Edwin says, is that part of the machines are bigger than the lined tunnels; further fitting-out work cannot be started until they have somehow been removed, and it is almost certainly more economic to scrap or bury them than to extricate them. The full cost of the machines, and other plant, will have been written into the cost of the project.

IIRC the British machines were buried and the French were retrieved. 

(I've a vague recollection the machines couldn't be dragged backwards, so one set of machines had to be brought forwards to the other end of the tunnel to retrieve them, and the other set had to be buried to allow them to pass).

• 2 weeks later...

I just compared the West Ruislip photos with your previous ones posted on 11th June (on page 54 ).

Not a huge amount of progress, but a few things have changed.

It'll be interesting to see what it's like by the end of the year.

Thanks for posting.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/08/2020 at 22:57, RJS1977 said:

IIRC the British machines were buried and the French were retrieved. 

(I've a vague recollection the machines couldn't be dragged backwards, so one set of machines had to be brought forwards to the other end of the tunnel to retrieve them, and the other set had to be buried to allow them to pass).

Yes the three British macines that went out under the sea are buried.  The French ones that met them had big steel outer shells to cope with wet conditions so the shells were left in place and the rest taken away. The lanward bores to Cheriton were to be lifted out up a big shaft. One was displayed at the information centre for a while. The other was dropped when being lifted, caising a recordable earthquake so was cut up in situ. I think there were 11 TBM's in total.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes the three British macines that went out under the sea are buried.  The French ones that met them had big steel outer shells to cope with wet conditions so the shells were left in place and the rest taken away. The lanward bores to Cheriton were to be lifted out up a big shaft. One was displayed at the information centre for a while. The other was dropped when being lifted, caising a recordable earthquake so was cut up in situ. I think there were 11 TBM's in total.

Jamie

I definitely remember seeing the one outside the visitor centre. According to this it was eventually ebayed and bought be a scrap merchant. 

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone/news/channel-tunnel-turns-25-205294/

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just found this on The Register, (https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/08/21/uk_national_debt_2_trillion/) regarding the National Debt:

"UK national debt hits 1.46 Apples – and weighs as much as 2 billion adult badgers"

Well, we can get a large instant saving by axing the huge £110 billion unnecessary excrescence that is HS2 not only because Covid-19 has advanced homeworking and reduced the need to commute by a decade but also because significant journey time cuts are now already available by using Hitachi's new Intercity Express Trains that run on existing standard rail tracks.

Depressing isn't it? Still doesn't seem to have made it in the greater world that HS2 is primarily about freeing up space rather than speed.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've mentioned before the problems caused for the new 'home-worker's' family, but in addition I, as a customer of various financial institutions, am not at all happy that when phoning them now personal and private details could be overheard by, well, anyone, not to mention concerns about security of their IT systems. This is a factor that must be taken into account by such businesses when making their future working arrangements. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Philou said:

Just found this on The Register, (https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/08/21/uk_national_debt_2_trillion/) regarding the National Debt:

"UK national debt hits 1.46 Apples – and weighs as much as 2 billion adult badgers"

Well, we can get a large instant saving by axing the huge £110 billion unnecessary excrescence that is HS2 not only because Covid-19 has advanced homeworking and reduced the need to commute by a decade but also because significant journey time cuts are now already available by using Hitachi's new Intercity Express Trains that run on existing standard rail tracks.

Depressing isn't it? Still doesn't seem to have made it in the greater world that HS2 is primarily about freeing up space rather than speed.

Cheers,

Philip

So the Hitachi IETs are faster than Pendos.

Hadn't heard that one before as a reason to scrap HS2

These people are so uninformed they should be prosecuted for peddling "Fake News":jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2