• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

In the UK, at least, I am not aware of Tesla supplying any storage batteries. They are coming from China.

I looked at the market figures for 2019 and "Fluence" (AES/Siemens) was top

"NextEra" is second (from the USA)

BYD in third is the highest Chinese company.

Tesla was 13th, so not as high as I thought.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I looked at the market figures for 2019 and "Fluence" (AES/Siemens) was top

"NextEra" is second (from the USA)

BYD in third is the highest Chinese company.

Tesla was 13th, so not as high as I thought.

Are we sure where the first two are making the batteries? It might be like the mobile phone industry where Huawei is making phones for other "manufacturers".

On the battery site that I am familiar with, it was BYD who supplied.

11 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

The cost of renewables has fallen sufficiently that private investment has shifted towards them and coal production and use has reduced even while Trump has been trying trying to encourage it. 

What is the evidence for this? I know that the bidding price for new wind farm output has fallen in some of the recent auctions, but as far as I know the capital costs are the same, or higher than foe earlier builds. 

• RMweb Premium

So we should propose hydrogen powered trains on HS2 with the hydrogen generated by electricity produced by solar panels on the train roof. Simples.

As has been said, there are a lot of interconnected issues.

And re listed buildings, our whole street was listed (early 19th century weavers' housing) but after our house had had double glazing and solar water heating installed. So those are now listed too!

Anyway, encouraging to see the progress with HS2.

Jonathan

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

Isn't that when you need them most?

yep, several days of cold weather and I have to reverse the A/C to melt the ice off the outside unit..

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

And re listed buildings, our whole street was listed (early 19th century weavers' housing) but after our house had had double glazing and solar water heating installed. So those are now listed too!

I remember one of the people working on the King's Cross upgrade project saying the same - the 1970s extension on the front was physically attached to the original building, and therefore it was Grade 1 listed, and any changes to it needed approval from English Heritage.

They said at the time that the new stuff is not physically connected to the original building now, so as to avoid those issues arising in future (I suspect it might not be possible to completely avoid it, but from what I've seen, very little of the new stuff is physically attached).

1607524369203-png.833730

1607524472694-png.833735

Also supplied.......

a couple of Allen keys,

a Screwdriver,

a bag of bolts, screws and dowels

and a 20 page, no-words, pictogram booklet containing the assembly instructions.

I believe the product has an unpronounceable Scandinavian sounding name.

I think it sounded like KLÄGKÄMPDUG or something.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

13 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

I think it sounded like KLÄGKÄMPDUG or something

Should I spoil the joke?

Google translate has tunnelgrävmaskin or tunnelborrmaskin for TBM in Swedish, or "gräva långsamt under jorden" for "dig slowly underground" but the TBMs are actually from a company called Herrenknecht from southwest Germany according to this article, which gives a bit more detail:

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/first-hs2-tunnel-boring-machines-arrive

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Also supplied.......

a couple of Allen keys,

a Screwdriver,

a bag of bolts, screws and dowels

and a 20 page, no-words, pictogram booklet containing the assembly instructions.

I think it sounded like KLÄGKÄMPDUG or something.

Do you notice how the quantity of "accessories" is always right:good:

But not necessarily in the right ratios..............:(

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just managed to get through the last few pages more often than not with a heavy heart reading the doomsayers and naysayers regarding progress. There are 2 sides to every coin. I was brought up in the North East Lancs town of Nelson where cotton reigned supreme because the damp atmosphere reduces the wastage of air borne cotton. The mills were coal powered when I was a kid, and I remember walking up a fairly big hill from junior school to the bus stop on my way home. 

School was smog bound, I walked up the hill and my head poked out of the smog, and as I looked back across the top of the smog, I could see the smoke from the mill chimneys pouring down into the valley. Now there is some pollution. All the houses that were built from the local sandstone were black from the soot. Needless to say, we had cotton sheets and cotton shirts that were washed and hung out to dry, then sometimes had to be washed again because of the amount of soot in the air.

Now, I'm not trying to turn into the 4 Yorkshiremen of Monty Python fame (so please do not do further thread drift) but my point is that Indian cotton undercut British cotton, so the small, medium and some large enterprises closed down, a smokeless zone was set up so anthracite had to burned in our boiler ("heck and billy blow", said my dad). Nett result, no smog. People getting their houses and councils getting their municipal buildings sandblasted back to their original glory.

Marvelous! A much better environment in which to live. ! no work.

A little later (August 1973) I started with BR at Horwich Training School. The railways then were very run down, no investment, the modernisation plan didn't seem to have worked, articles appearing extolling the virtues of concreting over the whole system and letting road vehicles run free.

The railways were still shipping huge amounts of coal from pit to power station, the mpg figures for vehicles were only quoted as an attempt to save money (anybody noticed how as mpg has increased, so has the price of fuel) and nobody paid any attention whatsoever to global warming / climate change.

We have definitely moved on. Scientists will always push boundaries. Engineers will pick up the mantle. Businessmen will always invest. Production Engineers will always improve how to do things.

The public will always want their lives improved (more often than not at the cost of some other members of the public), so politicians will try to legislate, so in amongst all this push, pull that goes on from all sorts of quarters in all corners of our society, I have to say that my 1 year old granddaughter has been brought into a much cleaner country than i was in 1955, and all this is down to progress. Long may it continue.

Now to try and reduce the amount of exploitation that she may suffer.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It brings to mind the photos of the GC's London Extension being built. However at this stage they would have been busy laying a contractors line with Manning Wardle tank engines running up and down with MSC type wagons.

Jamie

• Like 3