• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

He was a also a Labour candidate for London mayor, during the period when the party's answer to any issue relating to the railways was Nationalisation, irrespective of the question.  As I said before, I don't think Christian knows nothing - far from it - but he has less knowledge than many others and does often quote his opinion as if it were indisputable fact.  However, when an "expert" is required by the mainstream media and unlike any other profession, "Availability" is a skill and one he applies very astutely.

Like Simon Calder, aka the nodding dog, who seems to be the only one theybturn to re the travel industry.

32 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

This should cheer (most of) us up!!

https://www.therailwayhub.co.uk/56676/shapps-hs2-will-be-critical-unless-humans-can-teleport-themselves/

Extract from Shapp's report and grilling on the Commons Transport Committee, yesterday (transcript not yet available on the gov website, so this chap must have been watching).

Just a pity they got the age of the WCML wrong  by100 years.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit tangential, but the last two posts have prompted me. How many trees will be "lost" (ignoring planting) through the construction of HS2 compared with the losses over the next decade from Ash Dyback and the fact that modern hedge trimming methods stop new hedgerow trees developing? These are the two real threats to our tree population, it seems to me. Remember what happened to elms.

Jonathan 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2

49 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Remember what happened to elms.

The problem with the elms was so severe because most of the ones that died were planted from cuttings, ie they were all clones. It has been said the this practice were back to when the Romans were in this country. 

Edited by billbedford

On 04/02/2021 at 14:23, Northmoor said:

He was a also a Labour candidate for London mayor, during the period when the party's answer to any issue relating to the railways was Nationalisation, irrespective of the question.  As I said before, I don't think Christian knows nothing - far from it - but he has less knowledge than many others and does often quote his opinion as if it were indisputable fact.  However, when an "expert" is required by the mainstream media and unlike any other profession, "Availability" is a skill and one he applies very astutely.

He came last in the nominations

5 hours ago, billbedford said:

The problem with the elms was so severe because most of the ones that died were planted from cuttings, ie they were all clones. It has been said the this practice were back to when the Romans were in this country. 

Elms are at the extreme north of their distribution in the UK - most of the trees are (were) the results of suckers, not pollination, as the climate prevented seeds from germinating. That's the cause of at least some of the "clone" problem.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55887124

Pretty much every posh environmental protestor stereotype box is ticked by these people. 

I wonder how they will fel if one of the eviction operators is injured, trying to get them out safely.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I wonder how they will fel if one of the eviction operators is injured, trying to get them out safely.

Jamie

Probably quite glad because of the "they shouldn't be trying to remove us" attitude.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Probably quite glad because of the "they shouldn't be trying to remove us" attitude.

If they decide that they can't stand it any longer by this weekend, the severe weather forecast will mean the SE England media and more importantly, the emergency services have their eye on other things (as if breaking up Lockdown Parties wasn't enough of a distraction), so the protesters will get the minimum of publicity, the thing that they are really after.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

50 minutes ago, melmerby said:

They'll probably write an angry article in the Canary or Skwarkbox about how the evil bosses at HS2 are to blame. 

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Flittersnoop said:

Elms are at the extreme north of their distribution in the UK - most of the trees are (were) the results of suckers, not pollination, as the climate prevented seeds from germinating. That's the cause of at least some of the "clone" problem.

Quite a few elms are still growing, they sucker up from the remaining roots, and grow quite happily until they get to a size that suits the beetle that carries the fungus. They then die back and the process repeats.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, caradoc said:

I do wonder why so much effort is being made to remove the tunnellers in the first place, given that they are blocking the site of a temporary taxi rank and not the actual railway ! 

If that's the case, just put a substantial secure hoarding around the entrance hole, so that their  cronies can't keep them supplied with food and water and wait until those underground get fed up or hungry and have to beg to be let out, it may take a while, but it would save a lot of time and effort.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

A bit tangential, but the last two posts have prompted me. How many trees will be "lost" (ignoring planting) through the construction of HS2 compared with the losses over the next decade from Ash Dyback and the fact that modern hedge trimming methods stop new hedgerow trees developing? These are the two real threats to our tree population, it seems to me. Remember what happened to elms.

Jonathan 

Add in all the urban and park land trees being cut down and not replaced on so called safety grounds, with none being replaced. We have reached a point where we want everything in its managed spot. Trees in woodlands not accessible in case one falls on someone, nature in its place. Cheshire East have cut alot of trees down in the park near me this winter after a branch fell of one in a storm and killed someone. They don't manage the trees the remove the whole thing, gone not replaced saves money next year checking on it. A couple of years ago I came home to find them cutting one down in my front garden as it was to close to houses, no consultation, no cut it back, no ask for access perfectly healthy tree. Urban trees are disappearing along with the urban wildlife, Packham and Co should be more interested in fighting that.

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

If that's the case, just put a substantial secure hoarding around the entrance hole, so that their  cronies can't keep them supplied with food and water and wait until those underground get fed up or hungry and have to beg to be let out, it may take a while, but it would save a lot of time and effort.

They'll probably try to get a court injunction to stop any moves to deny supplies of food and water, on the grounds of human rights, or whatever.

Some judge will  then decree that HS2, security, police etc, should not stand in the way of such supplies being sent down into the tunnels.

But you're right. A much more secure fence or hoarding should be erected around the whole area where the protest camp is located and all of it immediately demolished.

Personally, I'd have a Port-a-Loo cabin installed over the entrance to the tunnels and arrange for a steady stream of people to use it.

That'd flush them out................................Flush Them Out...Geddit????     Oh ! never mind........

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

2 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

A much more secure fence or hoarding should be erected around the whole area where the protest camp is located and all of it immediately demolished.

A 2.4m. (8ft.) high security fence of plywood panels - with just one controlled entrance / exit - would keep out any source of media contact from those in the tunnels.

A strict rule of 'you can leave but not re-enter' should be in place on the gate.

Allow food and drink in - but handed over to the security staff.

Starved of publicity, but not the essentials of life, enthusiasm would soon wane.

Back in the day, this is how we dealt with illegal traveller encampments - but used earth banks / ditches instead of fencing. A couple of burly / not easily intimidated security men on the one gate, and it was only a matter of time. Site clearance was usually very prompt!

John Isherwood.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

A 2.4m. (8ft.) high security fence of plywood panels - with just one controlled entrance / exit - would keep out any source of media contact from those in the tunnels.

A strict rule of 'you can leave but not re-enter' should be in place on the gate.

Allow food and drink in - but handed over to the security staff.

Starved of publicity, but not the essentials of life, enthusiasm would soon wane.

Back in the day, this is how we dealt with illegal traveller encampments - but used earth banks / ditches instead of fencing. A couple of burly / not easily intimidated security men on the one gate, and it was only a matter of time. Site clearance was usually very prompt!

John Isherwood.

We had one mad Superintendent who got fed up of one group of travellers. One morning he barricaded the site entrance and wouldn't let any vehicle out until valid, driving licence, test certificate and Insurance had been shown.  Once they found they had to walk to the pub at lunchtime they started to remove themselves and their vans.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

We had one mad Superintendent who got fed up of one group of travellers. One morning he barricaded the site entrance and wouldn't let any vehicle out until valid, driving licence, test certificate and Insurance had been shown.  Once they found they had to walk to the pub at lunchtime they started to remove themselves and their vans.

Jamie

On the farm we just get the irrigators out :acute:

• Funny 3

Changing tack a bit, info on the new generation of High Speed Trains has been emerging over the past several months, but the most promising (as far as HS2 is concerned) is the Alstom Avelia Horizon.

SNCF has collaboratively developed the specs for this with Alstom (surprise, surprise) but the results are quite spectacular. SNCF have nominated these sets as Class TGV-M, and have placed an order for 100 sets, to replace the earlier TGV Thalys sets and other life expired units. They are Duplex (ie Double Deck) so may not be directly comparable to initial HS2 orders, but the lessons are interesting:

They claim they are:

• made of Aluminium, not steel, unlike all previous TGV's, so much lighter.
  • 20% more energy efficient overall, at 350kph (although SNCF will most likely use them at 320kph) compared to the previous Duplex sets, which themselves were 15% more efficient than the earlier TGV sets
  • 32% more efficient in CO2 emissions (although what this means is unclear from the four sources I have read)
  • 97% recyclable, compared to about 75% on previous units.

Much of this is down to improved modularity in design for maintenance and renewal, more aerodynamic design, and a greater ablity to be driven economically, with improved on-board aids.

The first prototypes appear on service runs in 2023 (they are already in production at Alstom's La Rochelle plant, not far from me), and fleet service is expected from 2024.

So, for HS2, the lesson is that modern train sets can be far more efficient than anything we have yet seen in Britain, and far more sustainable. Other makes are, of course, available......

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

On 06/02/2021 at 10:07, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

I'd guess nothing.

They tend to be very entitled

• Like 1
  • Agree 3