4 hours ago, Gordon Connell said:

Yes, I was mildly intrigued that it was an environment, not a transport, correspondent that reported the story.

The guy on North West News emphasised the time saving from Manchester to London that could be achieved by changing trains there: will there not be some means of allowing Manchester direct trains from running onto HS2?

53 minutes ago, 62613 said:

...... will there not be some means of allowing Manchester direct trains from running onto HS2?

Yes.
Until the next phase of the high speed line is built, taking the trains on dedicated HS2 rails into the Piccadilly HS2 station,

HS2 trains will leave the high speed track at Crewe and route via the classic line through Wilmslow to Manchester.

The London - Manchester trains running via Macclesfield and Stoke will access HS2 further south near Lichfield.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Yes.
Until the next phase of the high speed line is built, taking the trains on dedicated HS2 rails into the Piccadilly HS2 station,

HS2 trains will leave the high speed track at Crewe and route via the classic line through Wilmslow to Manchester.

The London - Manchester trains running via Macclesfield and Stoke will access HS2 further south near Lichfield.

That's what I thought. So the NWN reporter was basically talking rubbish about changing at Crewe. So Manchester trains will have of necessity, to be shorter (than the 'normal' HS2 trains) in order to fit in the classic platforms at Piccadilly?

17 minutes ago, 62613 said:

That's what I thought. So the NWN reporter was basically talking rubbish about changing at Crewe. So Manchester trains will have of necessity, to be shorter (than the 'normal' HS2 trains) in order to fit in the classic platforms at Piccadilly?

I didn't see it (not my region), but from what you say, the NWN reporter does appear to have been talking rubbish.

The first HS2 train fleet order is for 200m sets, that can be run singly, or in pairs (2x 200m).

These are what they call "Classic Compatible", as they will be able to run on the existing network tracks, within our narrow British loading gauge.

If later orders happen to include a fleet of wider, UIC gauge "Captive" rolling stock, that would be confined to the HS2 lines (the original plan, but not certain at this stage), then these may, or may not be longer (e.g. 400m).

There is currently only a rolling stock spec. for the initial fleet of CC trains.

The choice of trains is near the end of the selection process (should have been announced a few months ago, but Covid has delayed everything).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

And the take over of Bombardier 

4 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

There is currently only a rolling stock spec. for the initial fleet of CC trains.

The choice of trains is near the end of the selection process (should have been announced a few months ago, but Covid has delayed everything).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also slightly off topic, but of some relevance bearing in mind past discussions on HS2, is the revelation by the Guardian today that Shapps overrode advice from his officials, and refused to conduct an environmental assessment of the £27bn. roadbuilding programme proposed by the Government.

As such an assessment is a requirement in the UK this gives considerable clout to the legal challengers hoping to have this programme scaled back/ abandoned.

John.

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

What is the junction for at the south end of the 2a extension, please? the one that points Westish?

Best

Scott.

To access the WCML northbound

HS2-map-960x982.jpg

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Build that bit to Crewe and I fear it will end there and go onto normal lines to Liverpool, Manchester.

I find it odd they have a 36 mile extension to Crewe, I can see it offers early benefits for Liverpool and Manchester but then it also dwindles the benefit of going that little bit further north.

Call my cynical, they should have started in Manchester & Leeds and headed south.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

......Call my cynical, they should have started in Manchester & Leeds and headed south.

A lot of people say that, but what actual benefits would be delivered by building the northern sections first?

Not a lot, if anything, until the line was completed to London.

At least by starting from 'the bottom", phase one will deliver the London-Birmingham section in total and also make worthwhile, incremental improvements between London, the NW & Scotland.

It also delivers the much needed capacity enhancement on the southern sections of the WCML, at the earliest opportunity. Could we wait another 15 or 20 years for that?

The only practical benefit that could have come from starting in Manchester and Leeds, would have been to facilitate a more rapid building of NPR; but that project is yet to be fully defined, never mind planned.

Do we put HS2 on ice for another 5 years plus, simply to wait for the NPR plan to be worked out and progressed to the point of spades in the ground?

That would put the start of work on HS2 back for the best part of this decade.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

As a former resident of "The North"  I agree with Ron, though it isxa bit counter intuitive. I would love to have seen work starting in Leeds before I left. The Compuldory purchase advance notices have already been served. However, the most difficult section politically  was always goi g to be the southern section, in Lonodon and through The Chilterns.  It was quite a brave de ision for a Chiltern MP, to champion this project when he was PM. I am no loverbof his politics but am glad that this project got the go ahead.  As Ron says, it will now be relatively easy to keep adding further sections. I just hope that I live long enough to be able to change from Eurostar to HS2 en route to vusit mt my granddaughter in Leeds, hopefully in time for some major life event such as graduation if not earlier. She will be 2 in May.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

. I just hope that I live long enough to be able to change from Eurostar to HS2 en route to vusit mt my granddaughter in Leeds, hopefully in time for some major life event such as graduation if not earlier. She will be 2 in May.

Jamie

Not sure about changing Eurostar to HS2 as they ain't gonna meet, I suppose the walk from St P to Euston isn't too far (about 1km on foot), else it's one stop on the Underground.

• Agree 1