• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Richard E said:

Another time that was very busy would be the start and finish of university terms as well as 'open' days for prospective students, the number of students travelling long distance on the ECML would, I think, surprise many folk.

I got caught out on the WCML when doing the Cumbria Round Robin in early July 2018.

Wanting as much variety in trains as possible when travelling back from Lancaster to Penrith I let the half full Pendo go and opted for the TPE Class 350, arriving shortly after thinking there would be more window space to look out of.

Wrong. It was packed with students to the point that the missus and I ended up on the dicky seats in the vestibule!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The Russians are spying on us....

RT (propaganda TV) have put this video on YouTube.

Starts at Northolt LU station, then moves NW up the line to where the Chiltern Line merges and then onto West Ruislip, where HS2 work sites start.

The video follows the route to the Chiltern's tunnel eastern portal site.

Assembly of the front end of the tunnelling machines can be seen at the portal face..

Note, later on (time 17.12 onwards), as the camera moves around, you can see the bulk of the tunnelling machine components stored on another part of the site. There's a lot of it !

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

The Russians are spying on us....

Comrades, The downtrodden workers who are being exploited by the brutal capitalist overlords are making a daring attempt to bore an escape tunnel to get to the Glorious Motherland.:jester:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I notice that in the last few days all the protestors have now left/been removed from the "tunnel" at Euston, including "Swampy" who according to reports didn't seem to be in particularly good order.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I notice that in the last few days all the protestors have now left/been removed from the "tunnel" at Euston, including "Swampy" who according to reports didn't seem to be in particularly good order.

When I read the report, there is still one down there. All the others have come out. There is something about it in Modern Railways. Apparently  there was some delay in allowing HS2 access to the site so it was unguarded for a while, which us when they got in to dig the tunnels.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

When I read the report, there is still one down there. All the others have come out. There is something about it in Modern Railways. Apparently  there was some delay in allowing HS2 access to the site so it was unguarded for a while, which us when they got in to dig the tunnels.

Jamie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56209311

• Informative/Useful 1

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Interesting to compare that with this image of building the nearby Harbury cutting:

7296-0-885x443.jpg

From here: https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/catalogue_wow/harbury-cutting-under-construction

And yet, when it's not sliding towards the track, it looks like this:

515px-Looking_west_from_a_bridge_over_Ha

Not exactly the apocalyptic vision, the antis like to portray.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

515px-Looking_west_from_a_bridge_over_Ha

Not exactly the apocalyptic vision, the antis like to portray.

When left to it's own devices, nature will very soon green everything.

(My garden is a good example of that:lol:)

• Agree 5

I will not post the report in full as it will bore most people.

The HS2 mitigation fund is to pay £500k towards the cost of cycleway improvements in Wendover.

The local council is to pay the remaining £62k.

The work is mainly to provide better access to the station and along the road towards Aylesbury.

Big bad HS2 :excl::jester:

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 28/02/2021 at 21:42, Ron Ron Ron said:

Paul Bigland is running a blog on HS@'s progress.

This what he had to say today, about certain protesters.....

https://paulbigland.blog/2021/02/28/crazy-anti-hs2-campaigner-of-the-week-no-29/

The MSM really need to call out these idiots.

I'm not sure about his bit about ragwort though - ragwort is a harmful weed that can endanger animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragwort_Control_Act_2003

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Ragwort is dangerous, not particularly because it is poisonous, which it is, but because it tend to grow on poor pastures, so cattle eat it because there's not enough good stuff around. 

The farmer who complained did put me in mind of the Grundys from the Archers. 

Perhaps Swampy, Larch, Blue, Dipsy and La-La might consider turning their attention away from HS2 onto another risk to trees, which somehow we don't hear so much about: 

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2021/02/22/1600-trees-a-day-axed-to-pave-the-way-for-turbines/

The article (whose, to be fair, accuracy and impartiality I cannot of course vouch for) states: 

Around 1,600 trees a day are being cut down to make way for ever-increasing numbers of wind turbines.

Five wind farms alone have resulted in millions of trees being axed – flying in the face of a Scottish Government commitment to plant 25,000 acres of trees every year to help meet climate targets.

The figures, from Forestry and Land Scotland, have led to warnings that the country has reached ‘saturation point’ for onshore wind, with turbines posing a growing threat to the landscape.

Iain Milligan, spokesman for campaign group Save Our Hills, said: ‘It’s hard to see how any well-thought-through environmental policy could result in the felling of millions of trees.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but it is pointed out that many of those trees were in commercial conifer plantations. These often have not been very productive because we didn't know enough about tree ecosystems when the Forestry Commission got going.

It is becoming evident from more recent research that the best place for trees is where there are trees, as there is a massive underground microsystem of fungi etc linking the trees. I first read about this in a book called, I think, "The secret life of trees". Another recent book is "Entangled life" by Merlin Sheldrake, though I have not read it yet - my wife has just finished reading it.

One thing this means is that in a way the tree huggers are right, though for the wrong reason, It is not ancient trees that are important, it is old woodland with those ecosystems in place ready to welcome new trees. But that does not need to be 400 year old woodland.

Back on the felling of trees for wind turbines. I find that surprising because most of those around here are on bare hillside so they catch the wind, not near woodland. Is that statistic really true?

And how does the claimed 1600 a day compare with the numbers felled for other reasons such as "safety", building developments and council tidiness - to say nothing of those Network Rail has to cut down so the drivers can see the signals. A wonderful example here, though not actually a felling: last summer council employees turned up one late spring day and pruned back to the bare trunk a number of trees which were just about to flower.

I am sure we can have trees AND railways.

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 4