1 hour ago, billbedford said:

So they are putting translucent noise screen on the Colne viaduct so that people can see the landscape, and designing windowless trains at the same time?

No sorry it does not compute...

:angel:

I'm looking forward to enjoying that view for the 41 seconds it will take to traverse the 2.1 mile long viaduct.

I reckon the train will only be out in the daylight for around 1.4 minutes, between West Ruislip and the Chiltern Tunnel east portal.

Somehow I doubt the land below the arches will be the Garden of Eden

This is what they imagine:

image.png.c9c87806fe26bbb0ca6fabc974d83991.png

This is what we usually think:

image.png.6193c1a3455b63114ee00c4d41cc8713.png

Source: https://www.reglasgow.com/rail-arch-link-would-be-first-in-series-of-people-friendly-measures-at-laurieston-gorbals/

This is probably what we get:

image.png.59b38f6b152e406e426fdc80139f72ac.png

Source: https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/old-railway-arches.html.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway it has been done before - early GWR fourth class (or did they actually call it third and fourth had no roof or upper sides, so no windows - much cheaper to build). I think the BoT said something on the subject!!!

But a nice one; you had us going for a few minutes.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, big jim said:

When I first saw that image of the hanging gardens of Babylon, sorry water orton arches a few months back it made me think of this....

expectation VS reality 

I also had visions of herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plains between the arches!  

• Like 1

Perhaps the antis will give sheep  ear protectors !  Today I went past the works just outside Aylesbury on the road toward Stone ,much activity .Most of the trees cut down both sides of road and orange clad monkeys in surviving trees. The route around here opening out and happening.great deal of work 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

An aerial photo of the Chilterns tunnel, eastern portal work site,  taken last week.

The view is from overhead the M25, looking east towards the Colne valley and London beyond.

Note progress in building one of the 2 TBM's that are being readied at the tunnel portal (in the foreground, just above the electricity pylon).

139-21_04-01-Chiltern-Tunnel-south-porta

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Work has started on the foundations for the HS2 railway bridge over the East-West railway line, at Calvert in Buckinghamshire.

"Foundation work on the bridge began this week, using a rotary bored piling rig to install the 38m deep foundation piles for the bridge. 

Once foundation piling is complete the team will move on to build the 8m high abutments on either side which will support the main bridge deck.

The deck itself is set to be installed next year, with HS2 then handing over the structures and earthworks embankment to East West Rail to install the track and signalling."

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/articles/hs2-begins-work-key-east-west-rail-bridge

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/hs2-contractors-begin-work-on-key-east-west-rail-bridge-14-04-2021/

HS2-EWR-bridge.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Chilterns Tunnel South Portal, taken at the end of April.

The fabrication plant is producing tunnel segments, which can be seen stockpiled to the left.

Sections of the TBM's can also be seen, being assembled in front of the big building (centre).

Assembly of one of the TBM's is well advanced at the portal itself  (seen in the righthand background).

141-21_04-9-South-tunnel-portal-looking-

142-21_04-10-South-tunnel-portal-looking

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I'll bet when the line in complete, that construction site becomes a popular Nature Reserve.

Strangely enough I've just read a very good bok published by eurotunnel about the construction  of the tunnel. Many pictures of the segment factories and the stockyards at Shakespeare Cliff looming very si ilar to the scenes above. It's now a nature reserve called Samphire Hoe. It added 70 acres to the UK's landmass. Quite a bit of which came from the French side of the tunnel but we won't tell them.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2