On 08/09/2021 at 14:23, Bernard Lamb said:

Goods news and bad news.

The remains of a Saxon church have been found while investigating the area around St Mary's old church Stoke Mandeville. There are several open days coming up.

Travelling into Euston the other day I noticed a series of large circular holes in the blue engineering brick walls visible as you approach the station from Camden.

Expert care and conservation work on the one hand and blatant vandalism on the other.

Bernard

On 08/09/2021 at 14:23, Bernard Lamb said:

Goods news and bad news.

The remains of a Saxon church have been found while investigating the area around St Mary's old church Stoke Mandeville. There are several open days coming up.

Travelling into Euston the other day I noticed a series of large circular holes in the blue engineering brick walls visible as you approach the station from Camden.

Expert care and conservation work on the one hand and blatant vandalism on the other.

Bernard

local councillor in Aylesbury jumping up and down demanding action abot the discovery of 400 bodies at STOKE manderville.  He has made several wild statements since he joined the council and is an idiot.The remains found are below the first discovery and are very small  the bodies will be disinternstered soon and the dig will finnish probably next month .When I saw the councillors comments I thought that there had been a massacre in the town !

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

local councillor in Aylesbury jumping up and down demanding action abot the discovery of 400 bodies at STOKE manderville.  He has made several wild statements since he joined the council and is an idiot.The remains found are below the first discovery and are very small  the bodies will be disinternstered soon and the dig will finnish probably next month .When I saw the councillors comments I thought that there had been a massacre in the town !

A good job he does not know the full story or he would be having a fit.

It is actually about 3000 bodies that have been recovered. mainly from the known church yard location.

I think we need to build a modern version of Grimms Ditch to stop him heading our way.:lol:

Do you know the location of the new cemetery where they will be re-interred?

Bernard

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

It is actually about 3000 bodies that have been recovered. mainly from the known church yard location.

I think we need to build a modern version of Grimms Ditch to stop him heading our way.:lol:

Bernard

He probably hasn't heard about the much larger numbers found in London & Birmingham at the excavations there.

Also when built the line into the East of New Street Station went through an old cemetery (the same one as HS2), so it's far from a new phenomenon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

Bernard

It is strange how he is throwing his teddy out of the cot about these bodies when currently North Tyneside council only allow residents at their cemeteries about 35 years undisturbed in the afterlife before the possibility of eviction! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

I'd like to put on record that I'm happy to be dug up and replaced with a railway line.

When HS2 was first announced I did suggest that our Model Railway Club should have a collecting bin for members ashes so that it could be donated as fill for the new line.  

As mentioned above this is nothing new. A large burial ground was cleared on the approaches to St Pancras, and there was concern about how the job was done. When the NER built it's connecting line actoss Leeds they went over part of the burial ground for Leeds Parish Church. To avoid controversy  they built the embankment on top of the graveyard and the displaced headstones are now laid on the embankment sides.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

He probably hasn't heard about the much larger numbers found in London & Birmingham at the excavations there.

Also when built the line into the East of New Street Station went through an old cemetery (the same one as HS2), so it's far from a new phenomenon.

Perhaps even more bizarrely, one of the ticket halls of Bank Underground station was built in the crypt of St Mary's Woolnough, with the bodies being removed and reburied elsewhere!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

42 minutes ago, JeffP said:

I do hope all the people responsible for building over cemeteries have seen the film "Poltergeist"?

Don't  worry about it most engineers carry such a disbelief field about them that no such phenomena can survive contact. It is a bit like the comment in Peter Pan that a Fairy dies if a child says that they do not believe in them, with Engineers we just have to walk into the same area to exterminate everything. Spiritual 2-4-5 T are us.

• Funny 5

8 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

Concrete tunnel sections being transported to the TBM....

picture1-jpg.2047707

Someone mentioned that they are not laying a narrow gauge tunnel railway in this tunnel.  I assume what looks like a railway track in the concrete roadway is actually something else.  

3 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Advertising how clean the railway is...on a diesel.

Ok, so cleaner than a convoy of lorries, but wouldn't  this make more sense on something electric? A class 90 perhaps?

The trains that haul the spoil and materials trains can't be electric because none of their routes are fully electrified.  One might have been if the government had agreed electrification of EWR.  So naming an electric would probably attract even more criticism.  

Edited by Edwin_m
  • Like 2

Old Oak Common from above.

The Heathrow Express depot closed a while back and is now being stripped out and decommissioned, ready for demolition.

You can see the HEX sidings are being removed.

A monster sized, portacabin office block is being erected to the left of the HEX depot, to house site offices.

The GWML track formation will be slewed and widened to accommodate the 8 GWML platforms and tracks.

It will extend to approximately where the tall green silos are located.

Work on the tunnel box site, to the left, alongside the Crossrail depot, involves piling work to allow the construction of the box retaining walls.

645b077126e641bdacaa2d01012d89a6

f308fc0132bf46fabad6e3e90a4b2d53.jpg?wid

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Someone mentioned that they are not laying a narrow gauge tunnel railway in this tunnel.  I assume what looks like a railway track in the concrete roadway is actually something else. .....

There is no narrow gauge railway.

The 'roadway' has the tunnel drainage built into it and the moving bridge has passed along that section, so I don't know if the apparent marks are related to either of those?

To get an idea of the depth of the concrete roadway, being laid in the base of the tunnel, look where the dude in the orange suit is standing in this photo.

The top of the vertical sides (not the sloping sides) of the launch pad, align with the top of the roadway when laid.

This photo was obviously taken before the roadway had been laid.

The roadway provides a flat base to the tunnel, enabling construction vehicles and plant to be more easily moved within the tunnel, will provide the foundation upon which the trackbed will eventually be constructed and contains the tunnel drainage.

443f784cce814123aeb36b58d64aa668.jpg?wid

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2