On 30/01/2020 at 17:32, melmerby said:

He also told the Midlands Today transport correspondent that it was "imminent" a week or so ago.

Imminent to me means almost immediately, not a few weeks hence.

The  3-day Conservative Part Conference in Manchester concludes today, when the final delegates have left the conference and the Centre lights are off, expect the announcement of the cancellation.

Edited by Pandora
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

Note:  

That's not the actual viaduct, spanning the lakes. It's the access pier or jetty, that they'll be working from.

You can see where they've started piling, to the side of the pier/jetty.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 06/10/2021 at 10:56, ess1uk said:

Shapps: Plan for HS2 eastern leg 'no longer benefits people' | New Civil Engineer

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/shapps-plan-for-hs2-eastern-leg-no-longer-benefits-people-04-10-2021/

This is a matter of interpretation. He could just as equally be confirming that the design for Phase 2B is being modified to suit the other two rail schemes (and draw savings for each), which is basically what was stated when they put 2B on hold. Shapps has often been completely vague about his subject matter, whether selling fireplaces, remembering what name he is using and when, or in politics.

As the article concludes, we will have to await the integrated rail plan report, whenever that comes. That was originally due in October 2020, TTBOMK.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 06/10/2021 at 16:58, Ron Ron Ron said:

Note:  

That's not the actual viaduct, spanning the lakes. It's the access pier or jetty, that they'll be working from.

Great views but is it me? I could only understand about every third word the chap said!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2021 at 15:58, Ron Ron Ron said:

Note:  

So, we've a viaduct followed by a tunnel. Some modelling potential. Maybe in T scale however, given the length of the thing (in T the bridge would still be 7m long). 

Edited by Kris
length of bridge correction
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Great views but is it me? I could only understand about every third word the chap said!!

I think he's French, Mike.

Shouldn't you have recognised that? :D

I had to watch it again to concentrate on what he was saying.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Kris said:

So, we've a viaduct followed by a tunnel. Some modelling potential. .......

There won't be much else visible to model above ground level between Euston and the Chilterns.

Heading out of London, the line emerges from the London tunnels at West Ruislip before going into a cut and cover tunnel, maybe less than 10 seconds later, before re-emerging onto the viaduct for about a minute or so, at most, then vanishing into the Chilterns tunnels.

• Informative/Useful 4

18 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

This is a matter of interpretation. He could just as equally be confirming that the design for Phase 2B is being modified to suit the other two rail schemes (and draw savings for each), which is basically what was stated when they put 2B on hold. Shapps has often been completely vague about his subject matter, whether selling fireplaces, remembering what name he is using and when, or in politics.

As the article concludes, we will have to await the integrated rail plan report, whenever that comes. That was originally due in October 2020, TTBOMK.

Integrated Rail Plan | When will it be published and what will be in it? | New Civil Engineer

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/integrated-rail-plan-when-will-it-be-published-and-what-will-be-in-it-08-10-2021/

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, ess1uk said:

Integrated Rail Plan | When will it be published and what will be in it? | New Civil Engineer

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/integrated-rail-plan-when-will-it-be-published-and-what-will-be-in-it-08-10-2021/

So it's still all up in the air.  I will have to resteain my curiosity.

Jamie

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/10/2021 at 17:12, Mike Storey said:

Shapps has often been completely vague about his subject matter, whether selling fireplaces, remembering what name he is using and when, or in politics.

Gavin Williamson the former Minister for Education was the ex fireplace salesman.   Grant Shapps is a former Photocopier Sales Rep and Internet “get rich quick” entrepreneur.  He did get found out for having a second job under a pseudonym whilst being an MP.

And we wonder why things are in such a mess…

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Gavin Williamson the former Minister for Education was the ex fireplace salesman.   Grant Shapps is a former Photocopier Sales Rep and Internet “get rich quick” entrepreneur.  He did get found out for having a second job under a pseudonym whilst being an MP.

And we wonder why things are in such a mess…

Darius

I stand corrected on the fireplaces! But he actually used three different pseudonyms, one of his companies was found to be seriously in breach of copyright and the get-rich-quick scheme was, to avoid libel, not entirely above reproach. So quite a shoe-in for the present government, but in seriousness, it is hard to get a straight answer to any simple question on transport at the moment.  I understand why, given the current fiscal situation, but why can't they just be honest with us?

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

15 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

The trouble is that we elected them! Not a party political statement as it applies to all MPs. 

The problem is that no sensible person would ever go into politics.

Jonathan

As Terry Pratchett said, under no circumstances should anyone who wants to have power be allowed to have it!

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

14 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

…….. I understand why, given the current fiscal situation, but why can't they just be honest with us?

There’s a culture of fear of telling it as it is.

Their advisors are convinced it would do them terrible harm if they just laid it on the line and told the truth.

Instead they end up putting themselves on the defensive and open to not-stop attacks from the media and opposition parties, ending up under siege and looking like either fools, incompetents or worst.

I’m sure these politicians would command more respect overall, if they were more honest and admitted that situations were beyond their control, or if mistakes have been made and and they are trying to put things right.

None of them are prepared to say that we’ve run out of money and that the nation can’t have everything it wants in the way of public services or spending on this or that.

With specific regard to HS2, successive ministers have failed to properly explain or sell the project and when they’re  combatting negative stories, problems or other aspects of the programme, they always end up trying to counter any difficult questions or criticism by sounding like the schoolboy claiming that the dog eat his homework, when trying to sell any positives.

If, or when they announce the eastern leg is postponed or cancelled, you can bet it’ll be dressed up with some contrived set of reasons, being the sensible and correct thing to do etc, rather than giving an honest explanation about the lack of funds, overall spending priorities etc.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 5
  • Agree 3

21 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

As Terry Pratchett said, under no circumstances should anyone who wants to have power be allowed to have it!

22 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The trouble is that we elected them! Not a party political statement as it applies to all MPs. 

The problem is that no sensible person would ever go into politics.

Jonathan

Good people with good intentions do strange things around power. I've seen it do frightening things to people my own age (i.e. other students at pretty normal state secondary schools) over the past few years. Even in the past week I've noticed that the very idea of it seems to cause a disconnect between what people think* and what they do. Then people who couldn't care less about power just get swept by a culture that does and taken along for the ride - sometimes wondering why but not really being able to come up with an alternative. Remember, I'm talking about kids and young adults who are still to a large degree dependent on their parents. What could some of them become by the time they're 40?

*not just what they say but what they think

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/10/2021 at 10:14, JeffP said:

And add in that all of us on here arent getting any younger...

I am indebted to a friend who, one evening at a pub quiz, remarked that we were now of an age where we should wonder if we'll be alive to see the next world cup, never mind who will be playing in it.

It hadn't occurred to me until then...

Welcome to the Wonder Years. 

I wonder where I put the car keys, I wonder what happened to my glasses?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

22 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Welcome to the Wonder Years. 

I wonder where I put the car keys, I wonder what happened to my glasses?

Having both of those items automatically causes memory loss! The time to worry is when you are half way up/down the stairs and you can’t remember which way your going!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3