• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think you will find it's a bit older than that.

Yesagons to pass through are pretty close to standard gauge.

I think you will find it was derived from the optimum width to fit a single horse wagon.

And the northern exit of Housesteads fort in Northumberland.

13 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

Is the Spanish approach for interoperability with France? Or cheaper rolling stock as it can be off-the shelf instead of custom designed?

Jonathan

The Spanish went for standard gauge from the outset and are gradually building a network. There is now a standard/mixed gauge line from France to the docks in Barcelona and the High Speed line is used for freight as well. They are working to reopen a closed line to France from Cancfranc in the Pyrenees and are planning to standard gauge part of the route, onwards into Spain. As many have said above, to build the UK HS lines to anything other than standard gauge would have been supreme folly.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

They are working to reopen a closed line to France from Cancfranc in the Pyrenees and are planning to standard gauge part of the route, onwards into Spain.

Jamie

I thought that had been ruled out due to many insurmountable problems.

e.g. Tunnel now occupied and not available for railway use any more (is also single track and too small for today's railway.)

Line onward in Spain is single track and much is very twisty, some of the French side trackbed is lost.

It would need to be a brand new route, double track (and tunnel) and to latest standards so would be very expensive.

Could that be justified by any future traffic flows?

"They are working to reopen a closed line to France from Cancfranc in the Pyrenees and are planning to standard gauge part of the route, onwards into Spain".

Where did you get your info from please?

I loved the Somport Pass as a child and the railway that wound up it.

I've recently travelled the road via YouTube and Google earth, and the info said that whilst the Spaniards are keen to reopen the line, the French won't commit any money to it.

• Like 1

Recieved my June issue of the Railway Magazine today and an interesting artivce about HS2 protesters by Phil Marsh .It explores the reasoning behind one protesters actions it seems he wants us to revert to the 1930,s or later with no travelling or work for that matter.  When given reasons for the line he countered with ,why do people want to buy so much then we would not need more frieght trains.All in all he seemed a simplistic individual who just wanted to see our country revert to horse and carts.I did agree though with his assercion that Aylesbury and MK would eventually join up.If the new road to Cambridge had gone through it might well have happened very quickly mark you house builders seem to have carte blanche to build antwhere around this town  .Today I have been told the protesters are out on the Oxford Rd just outside town usual bunch of non enterties.Overall the article was interesting seeing the other point of view .

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, JeffP said:

"They are working to reopen a closed line to France from Cancfranc in the Pyrenees and are planning to standard gauge part of the route, onwards into Spain".

Where did you get your info from please?

I loved the Somport Pass as a child and the railway that wound up it.

I've recently travelled the road via YouTube and Google earth, and the info said that whilst the Spaniards are keen to reopen the line, the French won't commit any money to it.

I've got my information from 2 sources. One is the latest Todays Railways Europe and also the latest Rail Passion. I've only scan read that at the moment and need to spend some more time studying it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

The info I have is around two years old.

I'd have loved to have gone up the Aspe valley behind a BB4700.

And look around Canfranc International station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Thanks.

The info I have is around two years old.

I'd have loved to have gone up the Aspe valley behind a BB4700.

And look around Canfranc International station.

To stop thread drift I'll re read both articles and post something on my Noves at Limoges thread.

Jamie

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I've got my information from 2 sources. One is the latest Todays Railways Europe and also the latest Rail Passion. I've only scan read that at the moment and need to spend some more time studying it.

Jamie

I'll leave Jamie to post more detail on his own thread, but suffice to say, the line to Bedou (from Pau) has already re-opened (in 2016), and the last 30 Km has now received approval for EU funding (in February). The plan is to complete the link by 2026. A new station at Canfranc has already been constructed, leaving the old building to be restored as a giant hotel. The line is needed again due to the huge regeneration of industrial activity around Zaragoza, and the needs of passenger travel between Paris, Bordeaux and Valencia.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

3 hours ago, ess1uk said:

Upgrading existing stations and funding new rail links is essential to success of Old Oak Common | New Civil Engineer

www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/upgrading-existing-stations-and-funding-new-rail-links-is-essential-to-success-of-old-oak-common-28-05-2021/

Very interesting, although nothing new there. It is the success of the regeneration plan for the area that is at stake, if these additional works are not done, rather than the success of OOC new station per se. Obviously, these additional schemes would add to the benefits of OOC, no doubt.

Separately, and further to the info published above about Grant Shapp's statement about Phase 2B, I noticed this report in NCE, which adds much to what we knew. A new "Integrated Rail Plan" (IRP) is due out anytime soon (should have been published at the start of the year), which will clarify what strategic works will be done regarding NPR and HS2 (along with others presumably), and hopefully, by when and who pays.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/dft-commits-to-hs2-eastern-leg-after-months-of-uncertainty-28-05-2021/

There is however concern about what the IRP will contain, as the recommendations of the NIC's "Rail Needs Assessment" report in December actively discouraged Phase 2B, and to a significant extent, watered down the ambitions of TfN, and all the constituent members / contributors, for the NPR plan. If the govt ignores that report, it begs the question, what is the point of the NIC?

https://transportforthenorth.com/integrated-rail-plan/

Edited by Mike Storey
Added TfN response
  • Like 3

The IRP was essentially setting out two strategies, one to emphasise north-south links (so including all of the Eastern Leg) and one focusing on regional links (so excluding some of Eastern Leg).  These were presented as alternatives but there's no reason why they couldn't both be done.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Some more tunnelli progress, as of yesterday Florence is now 150m in.  The tail of the machine will disappear  this coming week at that rate.  It will be interesting to see some photos of the narrow gauge construction trains in due course.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 04/06/2021 at 17:25, Ron Ron Ron said:

Not surprised with the Torygraph as it is anti HS2 anyway.

What exactly is this essential line that is "crucial" for HS2?

I thought HS2 was a stand alone project.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Not surprised with the Torygraph as it is anti HS2 anyway.

What exactly is this essential line that is "crucial" for HS2?

I thought HS2 was a stand alone project.

It’s not an anti-HS2 article. It’s about TfL and Khan.

The line is the proposed West London Orbital route, which would be an addition to the London Overground network and connect with HS2 and other lines at OOC.

The assertion is not that it would be crucial to HS2, but that it would be a key element to the success of the whole OOC development, both the interchange station and the redeveloped new district that is being created around the area.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

It’s not an anti-HS2 article.

IMHO putting this graph in, especially with the inflated upper estimates, is when the cost of HS2 has nothing to do with TfL's plans.

Why include it unless it's another dig at HS2?

costs.JPG.6dd44f2e0aef39a19abd2709041aedaf.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

Saw the ultimate anti today,  chap on his mobility scooter with stop HS2 banners front and back  also he was going at a fare old wack on the pavement.

"Why does anyone need to get anywhere at 186mph?  Look at me, I can manage perfectly fine at 6mph".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 05/06/2021 at 13:24, jamie92208 said:

Some more tunnelli progress, as of yesterday Florence is now 150m in.  The tail of the machine will disappear  this coming week at that rate.  It will be interesting to see some photos of the narrow gauge construction trains in due course.

Jamie

Taken last week, when Florence was around 100m in.

1622621247775-png.1583957

• Like 7