Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Simon Bendall said:

What's the reference source for the grey though? They were black then crud/olive.

I'd like to see that too - where DO they get their liveries from?!?

It'll be out with the Halfords black primer as soon as mine arrives.

Ah well - at least the price is OK; it's a pity that they don't just sell them undecorated and let us get it right ourselves.

CJI.

• Like 1

Bizarre. All that black detail printing when all they had to do was paint the whole thing black. Or olive. (Reminds me of Heljan blue Hymeks with blue bufferbeam cowls and red bufferbeams/stocks - waste of effort, they were always black).

Oh, wait a minute...........they're in photographic grey livery. Aren't they......? :mda:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From Oxford Rail's FB page

Product update: We have received our Pilchard livery samples for approval. These wagons were mostly seen in a neglected state but we have produced these in a as-built/ ex-works condition. This allows the modeller to weather and customise to suit their era.

Sodor Works presumably :scratchhead:

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Devils advocate mode.

Does anyone have access to a photograph of these wagons in ex-works condition, then we can decide if the livery is wrong. BR workshops were turning out unpainted wooden bodied wagons around this time.

Mike.

In which case, the exterior planking should match the interior planking - though this is a somewhat 'freshly-sawn' rendition of unpainted wood.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'd like to see that too - where DO they get their liveries from?!?

It'll be out with the Halfords black primer as soon as mine arrives.

Ah well - at least the price is OK; it's a pity that they don't just sell them undecorated and let us get it right ourselves.

CJI.

Hopefully you will make the transfer sheet available to us other poor souls to correct the error John?  I'll use Tamiya black for mine!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

They were going to be black when first announced, so something has prompted a change of heart. Livery issues aside it is a shame they never wandered to the west country as they do look nicely done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hopefully you will make the transfer sheet available to us other poor souls to correct the error John?  I'll use Tamiya black for mine!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

If I can make up an A6 sized sheet with these, or combine them with some other departmental subject, I certainly will.

CJI,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Any grey would be replacement planks after 30 years of neglect. Fine if you are modelling the late 1970s/early 1980s. 

They were black with liberally amounts of rust/brake dust. Faded black planks with some being repainted grey.

So if you are depicting them with grey bodies they need the black areas to be heavily weathered, not looking like a freshly built pre grouping wagon with painted ironwork.

This seems to be the photo they have used as a reference. Note the very rusted ends.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco/ef50ebcd0

Regarding transfers. I think that Modelmasters had the Pilchard name on the Engineering Wagons sheet. Worth checking if you already have a sheet.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
spellchecker changing words
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Administrators

I've dug a little - it seems that the weathered (black) samples looked like generic wagons and unpainted wood looked more desert sand. You can see this on the interior. On balance, the grey looks like the best choice.

I'm sure a lot more development work could have gone into the colour schemes, pushing up the cost, but at the price point, I expect plenty of people will be more confident to get the weathering brushes out that they would be on other rolling stock. Let's face it, you can't make one of these too dirty! And if you really don't want to have a go, there are plenty of professional weatherers out there who will take them on. For me though, there's a good chance it will encourage newbies to have a go at some modelling, which has got to be a good thing hasn't it?

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Might be useful for those who want a Pilchard in an actual livery, light grey not much use here. DB990096 still in black, I'd put money on DB990074 being olive.  Both from August 1981 at Warrington, well off the Eastern which they allegedly never left.

DB990096 Warrington BQ 17-08-81.jpg

DB990074 Warrington BQ 17-08-81.jpg

Edited by Simon Bendall
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6