Oxford Rail announce OO gauge BR Pilchard wagon

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

When I read complaints like this, I despair!!

When I read that I despair.

IMHO you shouldn't criticise because everybody is different.

Some people for whatever reason do not have the skills or maybe do not have the time or desire to renumber everything.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

When I read that I despair.

IMHO you shouldn't criticise because everybody is different.

Some people for whatever reason do not have the skills or maybe do not have the time or desire to renumber everything.

I'm sorry, but to expect to be able to run trains that do not have duplicate numbers, using only out-of-the-box stock, is completely unreasonable.

By all means opt not to do any practical modelling, but at least accept that there will be limitations to the authenticity that can be achieved.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Whoa, hold on a minute.

I missed the first release too and I'd like one of these so the running number doesn't bother me personally. I was making the observation on behalf of those who did buy one of the first releases and choose to buy another to go with it. With any other manufacturer you'd have had two different running numbers. Great!

I would like to think that recent posts on this forum prove that I do a lot of practical modelling (I've been at it since 1966). Renumbering wagons is either expensive or a faff - expensive if buying a sheet of ready-made number sets when you only need one or two - a faff if saving that expense means having to assemble these tiny numbers one digit at a time off a sheet I already have (and that gets harder with each passing year.....) I'd rather spend my valuable modelling time doing something less tedious. Having said that, if I buy more than one of a particular release I expect to have to do it, one way or the other. A rake of mineral wagons would make purchasing an entire sheet of numbers more worthwhile, and I have done so. 

But here we have only 50 Pilchards built which were almost certainly rarely if ever seen in rakes (and I do not expect to see triple packs of them from OR - sorry @Steamport Southport I'm not sure what point you were trying to make) and a pair will probably be enough for many purchasers.

I believe my observation was a valid one - basically that it was a strangely missed opportunity by OR. It wasn't asking a lot, surely?

Edited by Halvarras

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

practical modelling

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

I find it insulting that everybody is supposed to be able to do this that and the other, irrespective of their abilities.

If they can't they aren't railway modellers and should be dismissed as such.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

I'm sorry, but to expect to be able to run trains that do not have duplicate numbers, using only out-of-the-box stock, is completely unreasonable.

I've got a rake of 20 GWR vans only two of which are duplicates, all therest are as bought.

BTW If I have to number something I will, I have a goodly collection of kit wagons assembled ready to be painted and lettered, which I am capable of and have a good stock of transfers to do them but I get annoyed when people are pigeon holed because they don't fit into someones idea of "proper modelling"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do not think that Oxford Rail are averse to renumbering. The Tilmanstone wagon comes with 3 different numbers - two versions in the EKR set, and one individual wagon. It is possible that the Pilchards being delivered now are the second part of the original batch, just not completed, packed and delivered earlier.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

I do not think that Oxford Rail are averse to renumbering. The Tilmanstone wagon comes with 3 different numbers - two versions in the EKR set, and one individual wagon. It is possible that the Pilchards being delivered now are the second part of the original batch, just not completed, packed and delivered earlier.

A good point, and there didn't appear to be many of the first delivery of Pilchards about - sounds like a plausible explanation, I'll go with that and 🤐!

• Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 01:13, Halvarras said:

So.........at a time when other manufacturers are issuing triple-packs of wagons all with different running numbers, OR sees fit to simply re-run their first Pilchard releases with no changes at all?

Lazy, and frustrating for those of us who don't like seeing a rake of wagons all carrying the same number.

They need repainting anyway. There is no reason why any would have been grey when new. They are a departmental wagon, may have been black, but what little evidence there is suggests unpainted wood and steelwork in black. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpilchardyco 

As to numbers, yes relatively rare, but there were 50 so rather more than the Polybulks just announced by Rails. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I like the Pilchard wagons, they look good in pretty much any engineering train imo. My one observation would be that they are in the most comically oversized box imaginable. I'm glad I picked mine up in person, can't imagine postage would be too cheap on them. I assume Oxford have standard box sizes, and the Pilchard is too long for the next smallest to it ships in the Mk3 box!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HExpressD said:

I like the Pilchard wagons,

... I assume Oxford have standard box sizes, and the Pilchard is too long for the next smallest to it ships in the Mk3 box!

I would have thought they'd come in tins? 

Ralph

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2022 at 16:16, cctransuk said:

By all means opt not to do any practical modelling, but at least accept that there will be limitations to the authenticity that can be achieved.

CJI.

Let me introduce you to www.accurascale.com

search under “wagons”.

sorry to disturb your sales pitch.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

27 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

search under “wagons”.

What if I don't model the 1970s onwards, or that bizarre corner of the SR where only ex-SECR wagons appeared ?

Yes it can be done but only for a very limited prototype. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Wheatley said:

What if I don't model the 1970s onwards, or that bizarre corner of the SR where only ex-SECR wagons appeared ?

Yes it can be done but only for a very limited prototype. 

Luckily we have wagons from pioneering to privatization and everything in between :) 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

search under “wagons”.

And Cavalex. Finally found time to unpack and test my first 20 HAAs from them. Had 19 running behing a Heljan 58 (won’t talk about the 20th here!), all different numbers. Another 18 to come yet, all different numbers again. 

Times have changed. 

Roy

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

search under “wagons”.

Just to keep the record straight - since opening in 1999, I have NEVER issued a single advertisement. I mention here items that I can supply when such information is relevant to a thread but, in this case, I merely expressed my opinion.

What Accurascale do, and what other suppliers do, are two different things entirely.

So - no sales pitch!

CJI.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Just to keep the record straight - since opening in 1999, I have NEVER issued a single advertisement. I mention here items that I can supply when such information is relevant to a thread but, in this case, I merely expressed my opinion.

I’m not sure i’d be proud of that claim myself.

I am happy to be a gold member and support the forum, and i’m not in the trade.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m not sure i’d be proud of that claim myself.

I am happy to be a gold member and support the forum, and i’m not in the trade.

Why should I advertise?

I get all the orders I need / can handle purely by word of mouth, and recommendations here and elsewhere.

The secret of running a succesful small operation is knowing your limitations; I offer a prompt, usually by-return-of-post, service.

If I advertised, it is highly likely that I would not be able to cope with the volume of orders generated, leading to the kind of complaints that we read here far too frequently.

After twenty-four years, I think that I know my business better than you do.

CJI.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Why should I advertise?

I get all the orders I need / can handle purely by word of mouth, and recommendations here and elsewhere.

The secret of running a succesful small operation is knowing your limitations; I offer a prompt, usually by-return-of-post, service.

If I advertised, it is highly likely that I would not be able to cope with the volume of orders generated, leading to the kind of complaints that we read here far too frequently.

After twenty-four years, I think that I know my business better than you do.

CJI.

Maybe create a new thread and move the self preening out of this one then.

back to Pilchards perhaps ?

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe create a new thread and move the self preening out of this one then.

back to Pilchards perhaps ?

Let me remind you that you opened this caustic exchange by picking-up on a post that I made way back on 08/12/22.

Who deviated from the PILCHARD thread?

CJI.