Basingstoke 2020 Model Railway Show

Ian Morgan

• RMweb Premium

DATES: 14 & 15 Mar 2020
PLACE: Aldworth Science College, Basingstoke.
Satnav postcode for show visitors: RG22 6HQ
OPENING TIMES - 10:00 to 17:00 on Saturday and 10:00 to 16:00 on Sunday
REFRESHMENTS - are on sale until mid-afternoon, all at realistic prices.
ADMISSION - £6 - accompanied children FREE

https://www.basingstokemrs.org/exhibition.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I heard from my club's chairman after the government press conference yesterday that our show at Basingstoke is going ahead at the weekend (unless official advice changes from that at the PM's press briefing on Thursday 5pm).

The food has been ordered and should have been collected this morning. Club members are meeting to go over to the school later this afternoon. The cables and barriers will be going in vans and cars to the school. I bumped in to an ex member this morning who is a former chef and will be helping out in the kitchen. No traders have pulled out (sometimes at least one does) and we have little problem with availability of layouts (sometimes three drop out in the last fortnight).

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK
Ammendment due to incorrect information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

All systems go here, getting everything ready to take to the college in a few hours time: food, barriers, paper cups, etc.

We will see you there.

Longmoor and How to design a layout will not be attending, though.

Hi,

Just about to go to the college to put the stock on Beggarwood Lane. I hope I might get enough time during the show to buy paints, glue, tools etc for a few months kit building in case normal life gets disrupted.

I've no idea how many visitors will turn up. Our clubs idea of making the show more dedicated modeller friendly might help. This was supposed to be the key year for fund raising for our new club hut as we chase the rising costs of building to local authority standards. Our window of opportunity is about a year and a bit.

I saw lots of stuff on the traders stands and the layouts looked pretty well set up.

Layout crews were mucking in and helping our club to set out the halls (we've got extra space this year in the shape of a drama annexe).

Regards

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Just got back from the Basingstoke show. Seemed to be well attended. Able to top up my supplies of etching primer, buffer beam read and solder. The layouts were very good and I must admit that I could not resist buying another (I have 5, including my Urie version) Hornby S15 at a very good price from the Kernow stand. One of the hobbies many good suppliers.

Well worth a visit!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Many thanks to those who attended the first day of the show but the numbers seem much reduced on the same Saturday last year. Still every visitor through the door reduces the losses we might incur. Its just one of those things that the key year for our fundraising happens to coincide with such an unusual peacetime situation. I heard at least one trader was giving extra discounts to keep some cash flowing in.

Beggarwood Lane performed surprisingly well and my 13 car boat train more or less stayed on the tracks when a club member decided to give it a max speed test round the layout and through the fiddle yard sidings. My Hornby 4 VEP with the turned down flanges on the power car ran all day. The working cinema was difficult to view as the layout was against a wall. I may print some big signs to stick on the layout surround.

I picked up a load of thinners and glues from Squires for projects to do at home. On one stand was a very nicely lined DC kits Manchester Bury DC EMU with a Replica motorised chassis and the asking price was £110.

I only got a chance to glance at the other layouts but they seemed very crisply modelled.

If you are happy to attend tomorrow you are most welcome. You might even get some ideas for projects to do at home over the next few months.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

An excellent show, though it did appear at times to be relatively empty.

Came by train and the show bus, glad of that as I certainly wouldn’t have wanted to walk it from the station!
Bought a few items too.

A0CD87B6-9A9B-4C62-9B08-7E7AC137AB18.jpeg

37402BE9-11EB-443F-8D80-F0B6D1D44C49.jpeg

52E77FAB-0802-4113-B254-D380598BE64C.jpeg

41D946AA-A9AD-4166-9068-CF651DC5D3EB.jpeg

B0354636-C510-40AD-87C9-020549904AE8.jpeg

B35A0777-3D9B-4355-B757-4A885694535A.jpeg

3C1146AF-EA38-42B3-973B-8FD928787E51.jpeg

8F90C8DA-F6CD-48FA-B8D7-B3D4835D4F27.jpeg

071F97E3-0547-4DC3-9130-12BECC46DEAA.jpeg

DEF6D542-2B8F-4A2E-9B12-108AD796A881.jpeg

6D248A18-294E-4194-A36E-AD36D802DE9C.jpeg

5C3C5A99-F8B0-476E-980B-4C451D22DD26.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I made the journey around the M25 (the traffic both ways was noticeably lighter than normal) to the show, and wasn't disappointed.  Some excellent layouts on view, but has been mentioned the attendance did appear to be down on previous years, but congratulations to the Basingstoke club and the layout owners & operators, and the traders for helping to produce a great exhibition in concerning times.

Colin

• Like 4