Hartley Bank colliey, Netherton

Ironwrought

Hello folks, I hope that you're all well. 

Is anyone able to direct me to information about the Hartley Bank colliery in Netherton (just outside Wakefield)?  Any information would be useful and appreciated, as I'm interested in making a small shunting plank/inglenook layout based on the site.

The Lost Railways West Yorkshire website no longer appears to be active. I keep getting time out failure errors, which is a shame as it appears that the site had a good amount of information and photographs. 

So far I've managed to find this photograph https://www.flickr.com/photos/25640353@N05/43123035410 - copyright Andrew Bell - which shows a (green?) Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0st. The following YouTube video shows what appears to be an Andrew Barclay saddle tank - https://youtu.be/C0n0xoQYmiM?t=148 - skip to the 2:28 mark. Can any RMWebbers confirm if this is indeed a Barclay locomotive, or provide any further details about the locomotives at the site? 

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

It is a Barclay. 0-4-0ST ,W/n 2195 of 1945.

Also used here were:

Rex, a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST, W/n 3301 of 1917.

An unnamed Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST, 558 of 1901,

Standback No.3, a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST W/n 1817 of 1953.

Our Girls, a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST, W/n 1712 of 1940

Standback was a trade name or something of the coals produced by the Flockton Coal Co. that owned Hartley Bank and other pits nearby. It supposedly referred to how well the house coals burnt, as in one had to stand back from the fire.

I live about a mile from the site of Hartley Bank. If you go to the site of the National Library of Scotland, you can see an OS map with the tracks clearly shown.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/?fbclid=IwAR1EkzGlml0SawREhLAHZymXV0_sM2_FD2tjTaAQjo82vxQFZBYq7_3xfNU#zoom=16&lat=53.6537&lon=-1.5650&layers=175&b=3

Edited by Ruston
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, keefer said:

Thank you! Probably an issue with my system not theirs :lol:

3 hours ago, Ruston said:

It is a Barclay. 0-4-0ST ,W/n 2195 of 1945.

Also used here were:

Rex, a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST, W/n 3301 of 1917.

An unnamed Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST, 558 of 1901,

Standback No.3, a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST W/n 1817 of 1953.

Our Girls, a Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST, W/n 1712 of 1940

Standback was a trade name or something of the coals produced by the Flockton Coal Co. that owned Hartley Bank and other pits nearby. It supposedly referred to how well the house coals burnt, as in one had to stand back from the fire.

I live about a mile from the site of Hartley Bank. If you go to the site of the National Library of Scotland, you can see an OS map with the tracks clearly shown.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/?fbclid=IwAR1EkzGlml0SawREhLAHZymXV0_sM2_FD2tjTaAQjo82vxQFZBYq7_3xfNU#zoom=16&lat=53.6537&lon=-1.5650&layers=175&b=3

Thank you, that's very useful and just the sort of information I was looking for! 

I've heard of the 'Standback' name (mostly from relatives from the area) but didn't realise it was specific to Flockton Coal Co. produce, nor did I realise it was a sort of boast about the quality of their coal - that's interesting to know. I'm also relatively close (3 miles) but the industry was long gone by the time I arrived. 

As I'm a novice when it comes to modelling (my few experiences with brass kits and soldering have not gone terribly well) for now I'll be focusing on locos which are available RTR, which leaves the Barclay. Besides, I've always had a fondness for Barclay's boxy saddle tanks. 

Searching for AB 2195/1945 has provided me with two photographs care of RCTS - https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=INDUSTRIAL+(STEAM)&subtype=&class=&location=&srch=2195%2F1945&page=0

I'm afraid my ability to correctly identify locomotives is fairly underdeveloped at the moment - but to my eye this appears to be a 16 inch design with the larger water tank. I'm unsure about the wheelbase - is this one of the 'standard' 16" (as made by Hattons) or is this one of the longer wheelbase designs? I know the buffers aren't standard, I assume that these were acquired during its service at the Workington Iron & Steel Co.. 

Finally - what colour would NCB locomotives be in the 1960s?  Is there a 'uniform' colour? The few books I have are of limited use, being about NCB sites in Castleford/Glasshoughton which almost all appear to be red, and Scotland, which seem to be a mixture of black or green. 

Thank you again for the help, and I apologise if any of my follow on questions are simple. 

Cheers!

Hugh

Edited by Ironwrought

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2020 at 14:55, Ironwrought said:

Thank you! Probably an issue with my system not theirs :lol:

Thank you, that's very useful and just the sort of information I was looking for! 

I've heard of the 'Standback' name (mostly from relatives from the area) but didn't realise it was specific to Flockton Coal Co. produce, nor did I realise it was a sort of boast about the quality of their coal - that's interesting to know. I'm also relatively close (3 miles) but the industry was long gone by the time I arrived. 

As I'm a novice when it comes to modelling (my few experiences with brass kits and soldering have not gone terribly well) for now I'll be focusing on locos which are available RTR, which leaves the Barclay. Besides, I've always had a fondness for Barclay's boxy saddle tanks. 

Searching for AB 2195/1945 has provided me with two photographs care of RCTS - https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive/search.htm?company=INDUSTRIAL+(STEAM)&subtype=&class=&location=&srch=2195%2F1945&page=0

I'm afraid my ability to correctly identify locomotives is fairly underdeveloped at the moment - but to my eye this appears to be a 16 inch design with the larger water tank. I'm unsure about the wheelbase - is this one of the 'standard' 16" (as made by Hattons) or is this one of the longer wheelbase designs? I know the buffers aren't standard, I assume that these were acquired during its service at the Workington Iron & Steel Co.. 

Finally - what colour would NCB locomotives be in the 1960s?  Is there a 'uniform' colour? The few books I have are of limited use, being about NCB sites in Castleford/Glasshoughton which almost all appear to be red, and Scotland, which seem to be a mixture of black or green. 

Thank you again for the help, and I apologise if any of my follow on questions are simple. 

Cheers!

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Barclay 2195 was a 16" type and was green. After closure she was transferred to North Gawber Colliery but didn't turn a wheel, being too light for work there. 

Whilst red was the official colour for the North Yorkshire Area, some collieries retained green as a sign of independence eg Wheldale and Fryston. Glasshouhton #4 retained a green livery until it went for preservation circa 1973. Down the road in Featherstone, Ackton Hall #3 had a "factory" lined green livery resulting from a rebuild at the Peckett works in the early 1960s. (An identical paint job was carried by Newdigate #4 from the Rugby area). When the NCB acquired a batch of ex army austerities via Hunslet in the mid 60s, they retained their military green and even their numbers.