Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Is bigger better?

Is there any value in giving prizes?   Its a bit hard to compare a 4 X 1 cameo layout with a 24 X 10 continuous run.

I used to keep a video clip on my camera SD card to show acquaintances my modelling activities.  An extended Hornby signal box and a platform with a Hornby Dublo 8f trundling past at a scale 25mph with 30 coal wagons in tow.  Body language went from polite disinterest to surprise as the wagons kept coming.

I think the same applies to layouts generally, the public are more impressed by big layouts than the cameo type.

For myself the optimum has to be a layout where trains circulate on the main lines while I shunt the yard, until I get bored and want to run the main line trains.

Which of course is why I have two unfinished layouts indoors and a garden railway in a serious state of dereliction.

Exhibition baubles aren't really a measure of quality or value. I've never had to be a judge, but if I were I'd probably be highly prejudiced and anyone modelling my area of interest would have a massive advantage over someone modelling the GWR/BR-W, no matter the standard. I can only assume that I'm not a unique character in that respect.

In general terms, I've found that what I like best is operating, and specifically shunting on large layouts with multiple "towns" to run between. And in a social setting rather than on my own. So the American HO modular scene is perfect for me.

• RMweb Gold

Is bigger better - not always, but I think the challenge for the smaller layouts is crowds which means they can get ignored as its easier to see a layout with a crowd through gaps. My favorite layout developing on here currently is Captain Kernows Bethasada Sidings. Its a classic quart in pint pot but at if its exhibited how many people could see it at once, not many. on the other hand you can wander round and come back later.

Whilst I do like roundy roundy's as was said earlier, I also like those with wider operations going on so if your going to go large, what else is there going to be, though you do have the mild insanity of Heaton Lodge Junction being built at the opposite end of the spectrum - when is Simon hiring the NEC to himself again :-)