Transport Models Preston Retirement Sale - Updated statement as at 15th May

PhilNE

• RMweb Premium

Very disappointing news. It's my local shop. I've been in 3-4 times in the last couple of months and trade seemed pretty good. I had thought that the Oyston issue had been resolved. However I note the entire Mill still seems to be for sale with planning permission in place for student accommodation. Maybe it's a genuine retirement of one or both partners but if the Mill sale is hanging over the business I question if anybody would want to buy into it. However I'll keep my fingers crossed.Thoughts go out to the shop team.

PJ10

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

Ta. Just ordered two Parkside kits there now, They look to have massive selection of stuff in the picutre of the store on the internet, Lots of Airfix etc but very little on the web pages.

Photographs can be deceptive. This shop is absolutely huge. Last time I was in there they had everything you could think of. Make a note of the way you went in, you can get lost, there are that many showrooms. :D Try and visit personally, you will not be disappointed. Free parking and plenty of it, right outside the shop.

Hopefully get to visit before they close down. Might even get an invite to the Retirement party, hint, hint.... I presume Liz is taking "early retirement".

Would like to take this opportunity to wish Liz, Mark and all the staff all the best for the future. This shop closing is a great loss to the hobby.

Barry, Gill and Tom.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/01/2020 at 14:17, Widnes Model Centre said:

Photographs can be deceptive. This shop is absolutely huge. Last time I was in there they had everything you could think of. Make a note of the way you went in, you can get lost, there are that many showrooms. :D Try and visit personally, you will not be disappointed. Free parking and plenty of it, right outside the shop.

Hopefully get to visit before they close down. Might even get an invite to the Retirement party, hint, hint.... I presume Liz is taking "early retirement".

Would like to take this opportunity to wish Liz, Mark and all the staff all the best for the future. This shop closing is a great loss to the hobby.

Barry, Gill and Tom.

Tks for the info but stuck in the Emerald Isle. I love to have a Shop like that near me but at this stage my stash of kits in the loft looks like the photo on their web page!!

Never been to Lancs either on foot, Went through Preston on a steamer up to the Settle and Carlisle line, thats the closest I'll ever get to visting at this stage!

My stuff is on its way, good luck the the people there, Enjoy the rest!

odd, no-one mentioned this down at club last night.As one of our members works not far from the shop, we tend to get to hear if something is happening.

It is a big shop, not just railways, and has succedded where many other bigger shops have failed. The stock value of such a large shop makes it far more difficult for anyone to buy into it. Maybe a group of modellers could come together  , create a co-operative to run it.

If the shop does close then Central and East Lancashire needs a replacement . As I have said in another thread, manufacturers need to back anyone prepared to put their money into setting up a new shop, where ever it is.

It should also be said that the shop is within reasonable walking distance of the railway station(a lot closer than the annual exhibition) and can be reached from most parts of the north west and further by train.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rue_d_etropal said:

odd, no-one mentioned this down at club last night.As one of our members works not far from the shop, we tend to get to hear if something is happening.

It is a big shop, not just railways, and has succedded where many other bigger shops have failed. The stock value of such a large shop makes it far more difficult for anyone to buy into it. Maybe a group of modellers could come together  , create a co-operative to run it.

If the shop does close then Central and East Lancashire needs a replacement . As I have said in another thread, manufacturers need to back anyone prepared to put their money into setting up a new shop, where ever it is.

It should also be said that the shop is within reasonable walking distance of the railway station(a lot closer than the annual exhibition) and can be reached from most parts of the north west and further by train.

Speaking to a colleague a few days ago who'd been to visit a friend's and former colleagues shop. The one that doesn't tend to get very complimentary reviews on here.

He was told the stock was valued in the region of £4million!!

That could have been a load of old bull to sound good but I can see it being possible.

Genuinely devastating news - I found out as I went in today, chatting to Liz - the manager. She's been wanting to retire for a while now but held on in hope of there being a buyer.

I've been going there since I was around 2 or 3 years old - if you ever peek in the tiny, usually dark, side room with the kids toys in - you'll find a crude felt tip drawing of Thomas the Tank engine signed "Luke - age 7" (or thereabouts) on the way. I'm 21 now haha, massive blow to me personally as I've known the staff a very very long time and even worked there temporarily for a few weeks.

It has never once disappointed with the huge range of stock and always helpful advice...

End of an era...

Edited by ExplosiveCookie
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

That little room is where Emily my 4 year old goes to play while I have a good look round. Liz always speaks to Emily and spends time listening to Emily's rants :mocking_mini: .

Its sad to know the shop will close but hopefully the staff will find a new job.

I first found the shop 7 years ago when I met my partner Lisa she showed me the shop and I've never looked back.

Sad times :sorry:  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

As a child I used to visit this shop in another premises I think. Also Trains and transport on Charnley Street. A nice double header in the 90s. I think this leaves Preston as the latest place to have no model shop. How sad. 

Yes - T&T in Charnley Street.

Chris was always helpful - good boxes of stuff for a S/H scratchbuild rummage sadly now all bricked up.

Going back a bit further to the '60's, the Northwest was awash with model shops. In my native Chorley there were three places within a few minutes walk of each other selling model railways, although they did sell other things as well. Forbes in Blackburn was a last haven for Trix Twin, and I recall as a boy rummaging in their attic looking for stuff! Preston had an excellent shop in Bold Street at the top of Fishergate near the prison, that as well as selling a wide range of items offered a full spares and repairs service. Happy days indeed!

John.

44 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

As a child I used to visit this shop in another premises I think. Also Trains and transport on Charnley Street. A nice double header in the 90s. I think this leaves Preston as the latest place to have no model shop. How sad. 

Yes, they were originally on Lawson Street IIRC which is off Walker Street but that is going back a fair bit.

9 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

Going back a bit further to the '60's, the Northwest was awash with model shops. In my native Chorley there were three places within a few minutes walk of each other selling model railways, although they did sell other things as well. Forbes in Blackburn was a last haven for Trix Twin, and I recall as a boy rummaging in their attic looking for stuff! Preston had an excellent shop in Bold Street at the top of Fishergate near the prison, that as well as selling a wide range of items offered a full spares and repairs service. Happy days indeed!

John.

You're not thinking of Harry Welch are you? That was near the old prison but it was on Church Street that becomes Fishergate as you get nearer the town centre. I spent many an hour in there as a child.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keith J said:

You're not thinking of Harry Welch are you? That was near the old prison but it was on Church Street that becomes Fishergate as you get nearer the town centre. I spent many an hour in there as a child.

Thanks Keith, that's exactly the one. I'd forgotten that Fishergate doesn't go that far. Amazing place, with loads of stuff "under the counter" - I think they could have fixed anything!

John.