Dapol Class 73 paint stripping. Help please?

Hi dasatcopthorne

I've used Mentholated Spirits, which I find as worked fine for me on Water based products, and Dettol works to, but Dettol will leave a gunky residue and Dettol is normally dearer than Mentholated Spirits.

I have also heard that Baking Soda works, yeah who'd have thought hey,.. Poor Not Boiling Water but Fairly Warm Water into a Jar to cover the Loco Body and Two Large Table Spoons of Baking Soda... stir well (I'm guessing the Warm Water is to just allow the Baking Soda to dissolve) before inserting the Loco Body into the warm water and leave for 30 to 60 mins but you can keep checking every 20 mins for progress... as it may worked far quicker.  

I personally have not used this way yet and I have only watched this process on YT which seemed to work fine and stripped the paint, but I've not yet had the need to strip a Loco Body since but the next time I do, I will give the Warm Water with Baking Soda a go, just to give it a try.

Let me know how you get on, if you use Baking Soda.... its probably the cheapest way to, and use a tooth brush to get into the corners.

Hope that may help you.

TopTip: Don't confuse mentholated spirits (Normally Purple in Colour) for white spirits (Normally Clear, as in 'See Through') as they are two different things and white spirit will react with the plastic normally.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

I've never stripped a Dapol loco but i have used brake fluid on other makes such as Hornby, lima and Bachmann. 

I have seen isopropyl alcohol used successfully also.

I use a toothbrush with brake fluid to remove the detailed area but always use gloves and goggles!!! 

Also for the sake of clarity, it is methylated spirit as opposed to mentholated. That sounds more like a drink that could help with a cold :-) 

Good luck whichever process you choose! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, westernviscount said:

I've never stripped a Dapol loco but i have used brake fluid on other makes such as Hornby, lima and Bachmann. 

I have seen isopropyl alcohol used successfully also.

I use a toothbrush with brake fluid to remove the detailed area but always use gloves and goggles!!! 

Also for the sake of clarity, it is methylated spirit as opposed to mentholated. That sounds more like a drink that could help with a cold :-) 

Good luck whichever process you choose! 

Hi westernviscount

I should but in 'isopropyl alcohol' to as I have used that before now to, I've heard someone tell me about 'Brake Fluid' to, and I remember buying some the following week to keep in my Modelling Items Ready, but never got round to using it yet, From memory, I hear 'Brake Fluid' is very good for several modelling items, to help remover the Sticky residue parts that Sellotape leaves behind apparently and to cleaning up other Modelling parts but then I have always used 'Nail Varnish Remover' which is another good one to keep in your array of Modelling Tools. In fact I have all 'three highlighted' here within, at my disposal ready for future products to use in a modelling form of some description.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi westernviscount

I should but in 'isopropyl alcohol' to as I have used that before now to, I've heard someone tell me about 'Brake Fluid' to, and I remember buying some the following week to keep in my Modelling Items Ready, but never got round to using it yet, From memory, I hear 'Brake Fluid' is very good for several modelling items, to help remover the Sticky residue parts that Sellotape leaves behind apparently and to cleaning up other Modelling parts but then I have always used 'Nail Varnish Remover' which is another good one to keep in your array of Modelling Tools. In fact I have all 'three highlighted' here within, at my disposal ready for future products to use in a modelling form of some description.

Regards

Jamie

Better to use White Spirit to remove sticky residue rather than any brake fluid.

Be careful using some types of brake fluid for stripping paint as some will react with plastic depending on the model.  DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluids normally work well but test a small unseen area first.

Although expensive nowadays, Precision Supa Strip works well and can be strained to re-use...

HTH

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Better to use White Spirit to remove sticky residue rather than any brake fluid.

Be careful using some types of brake fluid for stripping paint as some will react with plastic depending on the model.  DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluids normally work well but test a small unseen area first.

Although expensive nowadays, Precision Supa Strip works well and can be strained to re-use...

HTH

Hi tractor_37260

Interesting to note, so is DOT3 and DOT4 a specific brand to be using or some kind of Strength Notification on the tin as it were....! as I'm not mechanically minded when what to use on any Car, I'm just a taxi driver for family lol and I only keep it in because someones recommendation for Modelling Technics, but wasn't specific in which Make / Brand was best. So I just when and bought the cheapest Brake Fluid, I go and have a look in my shed tomorrow just to see what type I did buy and see if I can read DOT3 or DOT4 and Precision Supa Strip as you say, Is that another Car Related Product too...? and the best place to buy it from....? It's worth knowing...!

Cheers for that tractor_37260 aka HTH

Regards

Jamie

1 hour ago, 7APT7 said:

Hi tractor_37260

Interesting to note, so is DOT3 and DOT4 a specific brand to be using or some kind of Strength Notification on the tin as it were....! as I'm not mechanically minded when what to use on any Car, I'm just a taxi driver for family lol and I only keep it in because someones recommendation for Modelling Technics, but wasn't specific in which Make / Brand was best. So I just when and bought the cheapest Brake Fluid, I go and have a look in my shed tomorrow just to see what type I did buy and see if I can read DOT3 or DOT4 and Precision Supa Strip as you say, Is that another Car Related Product too...? and the best place to buy it from....? It's worth knowing...!

Cheers for that tractor_37260 aka HTH

Regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Car brake fluid has evolved over the years DOT3 and DOT4 are earlier versions mainly used in older cars. This should be marked on the tin or ask in Halfords/Motor factors etc.

Precision Supa Strip is not vehicle related it's supplied by Precision Paints mainly for stripping plastic models,it's not cheap but works very well.

www.phoenix-paints.co.uk 

HTH

Ken

• Informative/Useful 1

I agree with the use of Dettol  for paint stripping , but once the paint is stripped there will be a gungy residue. A wash with Methylated spirits will clean all that off.   I stripped a Lima 33 recently and the paint was reluctant to come off . So I soaked it Dettol again but overnight instead of just an hour or so. It finally softened enough to move, then I washed it with meths. No damage to the plastic.  

Rob

• Like 1

In the end I decided to try the earth friendly route and get Clean Spirit from Wilko. Saw it in a Youtube Vid.

After 24 hrs in it, the results are in.

Bleeding useless.

Well, not quite. It's obviously a strong detergent and does seem to remove water based paints. After that, well refer to sentence 2 above. What it didn't touch is the original manufacturer's paint and the yellow I used which was a Halfords Car Spray. I'm just checking that Tesco stock the Brown tinged Dettol.

I'm now into 4.5 hrs of Dettol. The Halfords Car Yellow is softening and partly dropping off. Looking good.

Dave

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Funny 1

On 05/02/2020 at 17:41, dasatcopthorne said:

After 24 hrs in it, the results are in.

Bleeding useless.

That was funny.... 

12 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

No

Eh... NO...! Did you not read the instructions... either....! What... haha

Oh well hey... 

Sorry for finding that funny... Love your minimal choice of words...

Regards

Jamie

Edited by 7APT7
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, 7APT7 said:

That was funny.... 

Eh... NO...! Did you not read the instructions... either....! What... haha

Oh well hey... 

Sorry for finding that funny... Love your minimal choice of words...

Regards

Jamie

Well at least hes straight to the point!

NL

• Agree 1

I'd stick to Two Heep's of Baking Powder in warm water, stir till dissolved then place Loco Body in the warm water...

Most of the YouTube Channels I watch on stripping pains, is for Metals like Matchbox, Corgi and Dinky Cars, not sure how that compares to using Dettol on Plastic and using Baking Powder, as we can use Baking Powder to put in food or edible,

If Baking Powder may not be strong enough to strip your insides out, so you may need something stronger with a little quick in it, like a good Vindaloo that normally drains me totally, or if want to pay a little more, then 3 weeks in Deli, that way I can guarantee I will always get Deli Belly, Two days in... I become a costume of a man, you can hang me up on the back of the bedroom door for 3 weeks after that...! haha

Although these tips may be funny, they can also be very serious... Dettol you may get gunk residue at the end but the Deli Trip you get none of that gunk lark, and Top Tip... don't push whatever you do, it certainly not just a fart that comes out of you, trust me. haha 

On 05/02/2020 at 20:10, NickL2008 said:

Dettol I have found has always been good, did you mix it with water in a 50/50 solution?

This comment (Above) still brings a smile to my face... When dasatcopthorne Repied .... NO... (not even a WHY after NO...) RMWeb Gold right there.... Brilliant 

Regards

Jamie 

Guest Half-full

I've used (brown) Dettol quite a lot now over the years (I used to use Superstrip), I find that if you keep it away from water at all times then you don't get a lot of gunk.  I've read somewhere to leave the shell in plastic overnight, in a sealed jar (I guess to stop moisture being absorbed) give the best results, then use an old toothbrush to rub away the dissolved paint - I follow this advice and I do get better results.  I immerse half the shell in a large coffee jar, then cover the top of the jar with a latex glove.

The next day I remove the paint, give the shell a wash down in antibacterial handwash (cheap stuff from Lidl etc), rinse in cold water then leave to dry naturally.  When fully dry the other half of the shell goes in the Dettol and repeat.  Occasionally I'll have to immerse the shell to again to get stubborn paint off, but very rarely.