Lima hooded steel bogie wagon: how to update?

Hi

Today I purchased a Lima hooded bogie wagon to add to my steel carriers. I've not come across this model before and am wondering if it's an accurate rendition of a wagon type, and if there is a way to up date fittings such as buffers, couplings, bogies, transfers etc?

A quick look on the internet suggests it's similar to a hooded BJA steel carrying ferry wagon, but certainly not accurate.

Any help on info on this wagon and modelling potential would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

Tim

20200128_152408.jpg

The LIma one is of a very common type used by various railways throughout It's variously used to carry bottles, mineral water. Being a 'mainline wagon, to larger dimensions than UK loading gauge, it has 'possibilities. It's OK on width and length for 4mm scale, but a bit short. Careful work with a razor saw and a second body enables 'stretching' the body. I removed all the end detail, replacing it with Plastruct, to give the chunky look. I think I've done five or so; left-over canopy can be used for other types.

The most common type in the UK were these:- https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/tiphooksteel 

Others were operated by Tranfesa and Cargowaggon

• 11 months later...
On 28/01/2020 at 17:08, Fat Controller said:

The LIma one is of a very common type used by various railways throughout It's variously used to carry bottles, mineral water. Being a 'mainline wagon, to larger dimensions than UK loading gauge, it has 'possibilities. It's OK on width and length for 4mm scale, but a bit short. Careful work with a razor saw and a second body enables 'stretching' the body. I removed all the end detail, replacing it with Plastruct, to give the chunky look. I think I've done five or so; left-over canopy can be used for other types.

The most common type in the UK were these:- https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/tiphooksteel 

Others were operated by Tranfesa and Cargowaggon

You say they are too short. What length should they be? Also where did you cut the chassis to add the length?

Cheers!

10 hours ago, muddy water said:

You say they are too short. What length should they be? Also where did you cut the chassis to add the length?

Cheers!

There's a 4mm drawing (not mine) on P56 of 'Railway Wagon Plans 1960- to the present' by John L Fox. I can't find the dimensioned one I did, but it was published in 'Update', the DEMU journal.

• Informative/Useful 1