Heljan 02/3

paul 27

I have, because I wanted a different tender. Simply positioned the attachment point on the Bachmann tender used to close up loco and tender. Pick up from the loco alone is more than adequate for reliable running, what with plenty of weight on the drivers.

And with the tender at scale separation, a simple fall plate could be added too, just a piece of black plasticard loose on the cab floor and resting on the tender step. Too lazy to fix the backhead detail errors, practically invisible anyway on a  running loco. Will Heljan sort that for the GNR bent tin cab, where it will be more visible?

• RMweb Premium
On 28/01/2020 at 21:21, paul 27 said:

Has any one shortened the gap between loco and tender with the draw bar having the wires inside,

or I suppose it would run ok with out the tender pick ups.

I made a new drawbar for mine from some scrap brass, with holes at 22mm centres which seemed about right for my layout.  I scrapped the DCC stuff in the tender which I didn't need (and it seemed to have an intermittent fault somewhere within it anyway!), but retained the tender pickups and 'hard wired' them to the loco.

2 hours ago, 31A said:

I made a new drawbar for mine from some scrap brass, with holes at 22mm centres which seemed about right for my layout.  I scrapped the DCC stuff in the tender which I didn't need (and it seemed to have an intermittent fault somewhere within it anyway!), but retained the tender pickups and 'hard wired' them to the loco.

I did exactly the same  . Just have to work out where the very fine wires go and I used a small 2-pin connector between engine and tender . There's loads of spare length to play with on the wires , but it's dodgy stripping them to solder , being so fine . Has anyone any suggestions of the best way to do this ?

Roy .

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, ROY@34F said:

I did exactly the same  . Just have to work out where the very fine wires go and I used a small 2-pin connector between engine and tender . There's loads of spare length to play with on the wires , but it's dodgy stripping them to solder , being so fine . Has anyone any suggestions of the best way to do this ?

Roy .

With a sharp intake of breath and fingers crossed! :good_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ROY@34F said:

Roy .

Seriously Roy, I can't remember how I did it - I certainly haven't got any wire strippers that would cope with such fine wire.  I think I rolled the wire on the bench under a sharp craft knife blade, very carefully so as to only cut through the insulation and not the wire.

• Thanks 1