Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Richard Lines (Triang) 1930 - 2020

• RMweb Premium

I can’t believe I missed this . It was only a Facebook posting with a link to RMWeb that alerted me.

Really sad . To me and I suspect a good few others brought up on Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby Richard Lines was the father of model railways .  I am glad he saw the Hornby 100 year range and bet he had a chuckle at the Rocket being re introduced .  Rovex at its peak. My childhood would certainly have been a lot duller without the models and catalogues produced under his tenure. 

Thoughts  with his family . A great inspiration to many of us and the reason we are in model railways RIP

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

18 hours ago, Legend said:

I can’t believe I missed this . It was only a Facebook posting with a link to RMWeb that alerted me.

Really sad . To me and I suspect a good few others brought up on Tri-ang and Tri-ang Hornby Richard Lines was the father of model railways .  

He may still be, Yesterday my next door neighbour gave me a box of ancient Triang trains and track that he wanted to set up for his grandson. Despite not having run for many years, and being over 50 years old, The 08 (ish), Princess and Britannia ran straight away albeit a little reluctantly, but after a service ran almost like new. The Blue Pullman was as dead as a Dodo however, but I expect I will have it up and running later today.  So maybe another young convert.  His legacy will live on for ever, as indeed it would seem the trains he made.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

On 07/02/2020 at 12:37, Pandora said:

The O gauge layout of Richard lines, was it finescale or traditional?  was he a railway enthusiast?  If so please describe his interests.

Richard's 0 gauge layout was a few Basset Lowke engines and rolling stock. He had a layout of about 25 metres, double track in a large oval and I wish now that I had taken one or two photographs. Richard obviously had much delight in sending a train round the circuit at top speed just like a schoolboy and without any derailments! I realize now that I may well have been the last person to 'play trains' with him. Whether I was or not, it was a real privilege.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 07/02/2020 at 17:48, BernardTPM said:

My first model train was Tri-ang over 60 years ago. While not in poverty we weren't exactly well off but Tri-ang was an affordable entry into the world of model trains. I still have that loco and I'm still modelling railways. Thanks to Richard.

Another reason to get 82004 finished.

• 2 years later...

I was sorry to learn that Richard Lines had passed away. I realise this was a while ago now. I am reading ' The Hornby Book of Trains - The First Hundred Years' by Pat Hammond and am surprised that there does not appear to be any mention of Richard Lines as he was a pivotal figure in the toy and toy train industry.

• Agree 1