Tallpaul69

2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

You're welcome Paul.

I don't recall whether you plan to include any of the station in your layout?

I have a number of similar vintage photos of most of the buildings.

This is the branch platform Trainshed:

DSC02030.JPG.c8d968c993cfb947722f888b17e7ea08.JPGDSC02037.JPG.a0c7b30ee07cba13bf7e8c02b25d0c8e.JPG

It is currently being re-erected at Wallingford on the preserved line.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for all your photos, they are a great help.

My layout will have the train shed and the Goods shed masking a 2nd radius (on the branch platform) bend to the left. The station buildings at the top of the station approach will further mask the bend.

Pleading Rule 1, access to the road side of the goods shed will be round the end of the ticket office where in reality thee is the start of the footpath that runs at the foot of the embankment. Also the station buildings will be at rail level, not below. 

My station approach will be flat and Grenfell Road will descend beside it to give the railway an embankment then sweep round through 180 degrees to climb up to the branch over bridge that is the branch exit from the scenic portion of the layout. 

The main line disappears behind houses on the far side of the branch, which will be on a bank that slopes towards the main line from the branch over bridge.

I will try to post a plan which shows this area in a day or so, although the railway on it will not be up to date!

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3

Good Afternoon All,

Here is a couple of Lower Thames Yard sketches that explain how I intend to model Maidenhead Station Approach and Grenfell Road.

Remember the railway only portrays the Relief Lines and the Wycombe Branch. The two tracks to the outside of the lines (bottom of the plans are the down relief loop+ its siding (the siding much longer than in reality, and the track down to the low level sidings. I have yet to work out how to shield this track from the layout as trains on it will be seen with their top halfs above the layout track level!

The first shows how the Goods Shed, Branch Platform overall roof and Station buildings are grouped to mask the up end of the layout curves. Now that I have more closeup photos of the Goods Shed I may lengthen it to nearer its true length and have a small version of the later metal clad extension rather than the shorter (nearer Tetbury!) length shown here. However I do want to have a short open goods bank on the end for unloading things like horses and fish!

329013217_Maidenhead-LowerThamesYardplanboard4.jpg.ee31327dc354fc39ee3f1da12fdcf088.jpg

The buildings between the approach and Grenfell road may be removed to make the car park area larger. I am also considering a few stands for buses. The goods yard needs smaller buildings such as the Weighbridge office to be added in and a wall/gate is needed to fence off the yard from the station approach. The small square in the middle of Grenfell road is the clocktower, an essential feature of the area although the roads are distorted by the fact that there is no bridge under the railway!

The second plan fits to the left of the first and shows boards 5 and 6. This incorporates Grenfell Road up to the bridge over the Wycombe branch. The length of this is greatly reduced so the houses are only a representation of what still exists there. (H= house!)

1448301830_MaidenheadLowerThamesYardplanboards56.jpg.f0d46611da126aced629da7029aff4c6.jpg

The two sidings next to the road behind the houses run round into the Wycombe line fiddle yard and allow for the swapping of full and empty coal wagons and other open trucks!

As I have not been able to incorporate the real access to the yard via the bridge under the branch I am considering a bridge under the whole railway on the right of Board 5.

I hope these plans explain what I said in my last post?

Keep Smiling,

Regards

Paul

• Like 6

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have updated Lower Thames Yard in line with my comments in my last post, so I have revised the approach road and added the weighbridge office and yard front wall/gate, but I am playing around with the position of Grenfell road along the front of board 5:-

I have tried a bridge under the lines at the right side of board 5 which didn't look right and would make the woodwork complicated, so I have ditched that idea.

However in trying this I have realized that the area between the tracks and the road cannot slope towards the road as labelled without changing the edge of board 5 which may already be cut!

So I have been playing around with bringing the road away from the tracks to have a slope off the edge of the board and some buildings at the road level. An advantage of this approach is that it removes the road dogleg at the corner of board 4.

The thing I have yet to settle on is the width of the area for the buildings. I am inclined to make these industrial units of some sort so that they are mainly single storey and therefore do not mask the trains on the tracks too much.

Once I have settled this I will post a copy of the revised versions of boards 4 and 5.

I am also debating the best approach to the Goods Shed. I would like the shed and its later metal clad extension to be full size, but   this would not leave any open track between the end of the shed and the point connecting the goods shed siding to the Branch Siding.

So I am debating whether to reduce the size of the bays in the Goods Shed or to keep their size but reduce their number. I cannot reduce the length of the original Goods Shed too much otherwise it will not look right with two road vehicle loading docks which I am keen to retain to differentiate it from smaller sheds of this pattern such as Twyford or Tetbury.

Looking at the article on Twyford in GWJ, an air view of the station has given me ideas on the other small sheds etc. that I should include in Lower Thames Yard's area around the Goods Shed, so these will be included in the next update.

Meanwhile, I wish everyone well, especially those in OZ and areas in the UK such as Leicester that have once again to face up to the problems of lockdown.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good Day to you All,

I have been working on updates to the plans for the scenic boards for Lower Thames Yard.

Firstly, I have redrawn the Goods Shed to better show the Original brick portion and the later block built extension.

I would be grateful for any photos of the extension as currently I only have a couple from the rail side.

I have yet to decide how to deal with the offices. The options seem to be:-

1) move the shed down the track slightly and fit them in the correct position.

2) place them on the outer end of the original shed, but this makes the extension difficult.

3) put them either end on the side of the shed between the road loading bay and the end of the shed.

1073394383_MaidenheadLowerThamesYardBoard413-07-20.jpg.c7d2ed001be2929d8ca36f4e2cc18186.jpg

Other changes in this version include the Weighing office, the Water Tower (W) and its attendant pump at the bottom of the embankment (P) reached by a set of steps, and a garage business at the foot of the embankment in Grenfell Road.

The Water Tower should be between the Branch Platform track and the Up Relief track but there is not enough room!

Looking at how to deal with Grenfell Road I realized that the incline from the bottom of the embankment to the Branch Over Bridge would be too steep, so I have redrawn Grenfell Road so that it is further from the Branch track and then can turn at the High Town Road junction to climb further to the Over Bridge.

989044841_MaidenheadLowerThamesYardBoard613-07-20.jpg.b96c4b33bd9272d3414a5264bc766127.jpg

I have also included the Pub that was at the end of the Goods Yard Access Road, and given it a car park!

I am not quite satisfied with this board so am looking to improve it by:

1) Redrawing the upper end of Grenfell Road so as to give it a more prototypical curve round to the Over Bridge. This may include changing the road junction to being that with South Road which is half way up Grenfell Road and making a junction for High Town Road right by the bridge so High Town Road runs off over the fiddle yard.

2) Take part of the Pub car park to form a Goods Yard Access Road to the coal sidings that then crosses the branch by a level crossing rather than the under bridge that I cannot accommodate . If I do this I will include the Middle signal box that I had omitted positioning it near to the crossing beside the branch.

Any suggestions to improve these boards would be welcome?

Regards

Paul

• Like 5

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 14:32, Tallpaul69 said:

Looking at how to deal with Grenfell Road I realized that the incline from the bottom of the embankment to the Branch Over Bridge would be too steep, so I have redrawn Grenfell Road so that it is further from the Branch track and then can turn at the High Town Road junction to climb further to the Over Bridge.

989044841_MaidenheadLowerThamesYardBoard613-07-20.jpg.b96c4b33bd9272d3414a5264bc766127.jpg

I have also included the Pub that was at the end of the Goods Yard Access Road, and given it a car park!

I am not quite satisfied with this board so am looking to improve it by:

1) Redrawing the upper end of Grenfell Road so as to give it a more prototypical curve round to the Over Bridge. This may include changing the road junction to being that with South Road which is half way up Grenfell Road and making a junction for High Town Road right by the bridge so High Town Road runs off over the fiddle yard.

2) Take part of the Pub car park to form a Goods Yard Access Road to the coal sidings that then crosses the branch by a level crossing rather than the under bridge that I cannot accommodate . If I do this I will include the Middle signal box that I had omitted positioning it near to the crossing beside the branch.

Good Day to you all,

I have been looking at a number of different ways of dealing with the two points I raised as concerns at the end of my last post.

Unfortunately, I have decided that I will have to live with the sharp corner in Grenfell road as there seems to be no way of opening out the radius of the curve without loosing the straight portions of the incline which are necessary to portray the houses on the left of the road. But I think I will alter the alignment of the right hand side of Grenfell Road so as to make the road to the right a more definite turning off of Grenfell Road rather than the continuation of Grenfell Road as currently shown. I will then make this South Road and probably leave High Town Road out altogether.

The Goods Yard Access Road with a level crossing over the Branch has also proven to be a non starter:-

The Grenfell Road side of it would be ok, but running a road on the other side of the Branch would result in loss of the end pair of Houses and their elevated piece of land which mask the continuation of the Relief tracks and their loops. This would make the un prototypical curve of those tracks too obvious.

Other changes I have successfully made are to make the open area between the top of the pub car park and Grenfell Road into a nursery. In reality there was a nursery on the far side of the branch in the earlier part of the last century which became houses and industry in more recent times. I might design a removable industrial unit to fit over the nursery for the more modern versions of my layout !

I also intend to break up the edge of  Grenfell Road above the controls of the layout with some trees to portray those that still exist along the edge of Grenfell Park. I might also fill in the sharp bends at either end of the lower section of Grenfell Road with a few houses at one end and the Park Lodge at the Station end. However I will probably leave these buildings until after the layout reaches a developed stage and I can be sure they will not block my access to  any of the other buildings or the track.

I hope the above makes sense, if not please let me know!

Cheers

Paul  

• Like 4

My investigations into the 1947 extension to Maidenhead Goods Shed continue:-

While the Zonal System was introduced during the 1930s, it seems the war delayed its introduction in some areas.

In the "Marlow Branch" by Paul Karau and Chris Turner they say that the Zonal system was introduced to the Marlow area in 1946 and that Reading was the main Railhead with a sub railhead at Maidenhead where the Marlow zonal van was then based.

So this confirms that the Zonal system was a postwar introduction in the Maidenhead area and hence the need to extend Maidenhead Goods Shed.

When I have drawn up my interpretation of the extension I will post a copy for comment here.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Paul

Have you seen the first and third photos in this thread?

I believe they have the extension in the background although it's not very clear.

Nick,

Thanks for the thread details which I hadn't seen before.

From the line of the photos the extension must be there although, not much detail to be seen.

I will try downloading these and see if I can get more detail.

The main problem at the moment is that I have no idea of what the road access side of the extension looks like, which being the side to the front of my mode,l is rather important!

If the National Rail archive cannot help I think I will have to look around further for similar buildings.

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 2

Thanks for the thought Nick, I did have contact with the club around the end of last year on the semaphore signals, so I will check back on who I was exchanging e mails with!

Meanwhile my researches for similar extensions to the one on the western end of Maidenhead Goods Shed has thrown up Witney Goods Shed Extension.

As you can see from the attached exterior view this looks similar to Maidenhead although I suspect it is of prewar construction whereas Maidenhead's extension is post war (1947.

1830322915_MaidenheadGoodsShed-Extension-Witney_Goods_1970.jpg.d1d8ad90be7d7a2ada7ef86d9b474e93.jpg

I was intending to fit my Maidenhead Goods Shed Extension with an awning and a full length platform for loading of lorries etc. although I had no pictures to prove that as the case. So now I have some evidence for this!

One difference I have noticed is that Maidenhead's extension has a flat top to the wagon entrance as against Witney's shaped one,

The second shot is of the interior of Witney Goods Shed  Extension which is useful for the construction methods and so I intend to follow this for Maidenhead unless I find anything to the contrary!

1195606724_MaidenheadWitney_goods_shed_extensioninterior1.jpg.7dba2654008cd68f2c17cfdcd930c683.jpg

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions on these photos?

Also any sources for other photos of this extension would be useful.

Many thanks

Best regards

Paul

• Like 5

Good Afternoon All,

I hope you are being good and wearing your masks in shops and the other listed places?

I just hope that the measures do reduce the spread of the virus and give everyone more confidence to visit shops. I have my doubts but hope to be proven wrong!

Meanwhile, my modelling has not progressed very much this week.

I am holding off on more work on the Goods shed and its extension until I see if more information comes to light.

I was pleased to see GWR Hall TTS chips are now available. I shall be buying a few of these promptly as I think they will be popular. Especially if many folks follow my example and fit them in other GWR two cylinder locos. I am thinking of trying them in a Grange, County,and 61xx, as well as of course in Halls! If they are good in the other types I might also try them in 28/38xx and when they are produced the Dapol 43xx and Manor!

I have fitted Kadee couplings to some more wagons. I am setting the wagons up in sets of 3 with Kadees at each end and normal couplings in between wagons. I will have to set up some single wagons with Kadees for shunting purposes. Its a while since I did any of these , so I am getting my hand back in on standard Bachmann wagons before trying some kit built wagons which I have not fitted Kadees to before.

There has been a couple of signs of return of normality this week. Firstly I was pleased to see an Engineers train, Simplex powered on the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway, so hopefully I will soon be able to sit in the garden listening to the shrill of the steamers whistles as they approach each of the three level crossings nearest to our house. The other thing I saw was that the council had cut the square and marked out the boundary for the local cricket pitch!

I hope you are all progressing with your models?

Best regards

Paul

• Like 6

Good Afternoon All,

I haven't posted anything for a few days because the arrival of my sound fitted green Bachmann 121 prompted me to get on with making one circuit round Lower Thames Goods Shed useable as I had nowhere to test run it!

So now I have got the Wycombe branch through Branch platform circuit works although there are a couple of places where a loco stops more often than it runs through so tomorrow I hope to sort them out.

As well as testing the 121 I want to compare it with my Dapol version and my Hornby version of the Lima 121.

If all goes well I may manage to post a video comparison of them in a few days!

As well as running them singly I want to test them with my driving trailer and a set of non motorized Lima 117s, as both these combinations are trains I want to run eventually on Lower Thames Yard, and I need to decide which 121 runs best with the driving trailer and the 117.

Yesterday I exchanged e mails with the guys down to build Lower Thames Yard for me. Since the onset of the Pandemic they have been building smaller layouts with the idea that they were more likely to get them completed if anyone fell ill after they had started them. This apparently has not been too successful, not through the onset of illness but through delays in the delivery of items ordered for them!

I am hoping that they will be able to start my job sometime in September. 

Meanwhile, happy modelling!

Regards

Paul   

• Like 5

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Took delivery today of a batch of TTS decoders, A Hall, A Black 5, a Class 47 and a Class 66. The Class 66 is for the 2016 version of Lower Thames Yard.

Meanwhile, I am still solving running problem on the track of Lower Thames Goods Shed. I know it is the track because a number of locos hesitate at the same places.

I will have to replace a couple of lengths of track because they just refuse to wok consistently. I guess this is the sort of thing you have to expect when reusing old track! I thought at first it was the fishplates so I replaced them with new ones. This cured one track piece but not two others. I've looked at the track surface with a magnifying glass but cant see any faults. The only trouble with doing this is that I don't have any spares of the correct length so I will have to cut longer ones, which is more difficult as they are curves.

Still, I no point in grumbling because all the track and points I am using are 20+ years old and previously used on a number of small layouts.

Best regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I would try soldering droppers direct onto the offending track(s) first.  (Assuming that you are equally comfortable with wiring and track cutting.)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

23 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

I would try soldering droppers direct onto the offending track(s) first.  (Assuming that you are equally comfortable with wiring and track cutting.)

Paul.

Normally , and for a long term layout, I would agree!

However, bearing in mind that this is a 5ft x 3ft6ins "quickie" layout that is really just a test track, the track is what I have to hand so is a mixture of nickel silver and steel with just a couple of feeders on opposite sides of the oval all running under DCC.
As wiring /soldering is not my forte, the time it would take me to wire it to the best standards with links to bus bars from each section of track would be counter productive as it would probably render the layout not worth completing by not being available for me to use for a worthwhile period of months before the main layout is built.

In addition, the intention is do any wiring above baseboard as large parts of the underside are only accessible by tipping the board up because it rests on a old desk with just the some 9 ins all round outside the footprint of the desk and therefore easily accessible 
The fact that there are only a couple of sections that perform intermittently to me confirms the sense of this approach.

Thanks for the suggestion

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi All,

Have had a week off from modelling as there was a number of jobs around the house needing doing and we had thoughts of a few days away, hence no postings.

The jobs got done (just!) but the high temperatures put pay to thoughts of getting away particularly seeing the coast getting increasingly crowded.

So we have just chilled as much as possible (in the deep shade!) at home.

I was amused by the flurry of speculation around Bachmann's EFE Rail announcement, lets hope all the faults with some of the locos first time round have been cursed. Not much to interest me so far although I might go for a few of the weathered versions of the Kernow  wagons. However, if more Kernow specials get a re run, could be interesting? Pity Hattons have the property on the 14xx, another run of those would be good!

Meanwhile , its on with the job list including:-

Relay Thames Lower Goods Shed track,

More wagons to fit Kadees

Complete plans for the Goods Shed

Buy Hall TTS chips

etc. etc.

Hope everyone is fit and well and getting models completed, although this coming week will be challenging if we get the promised thunder storms!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good evening All,

Over the last year I have been investigating the wider use of Hornby TTS Decoders in locos other than the locos they are named for. In the last few weeks, I have been doing more on this due to the introduction of the Hall TTS decoder.

This week, I found some useful information on South West Digital's web site, which suggests which locos in each of the four Grouping companies and BR loco fleets can be replicated by the same sound files.

So for instance, it backs up my decision to use the Hornby TTS Hall decoder in Counties, Granges and  28xx class locos!

Once I have got by head round the relevant data, I will post a distillation of it here.

Aagh!!

It has just started tipping it down here in south Bedfordshire for the second time today, so it looks like I shall not be venturing down the garden to my Model Room again today.

Best regards

Paul  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi there,

I promised in my last post  that I would post a distillation of the information from the South West Digital site that relates to decoders for Great Western/Western Region locos.

So here goes:-

South West Digital have divided the GWR/WR steam locos into four groups. each of which it has assigned a particular decoder to.

Group 1 comprises all panier (and saddle) tanks plus the Dean Goods.

Group 2 comprises the small prairies and 2-8-0/2-8-2 tanks plus 0-6-2 tanks, 15xx Panniers and the 38xx 4-4-0 tender locos (Counties)

Group 3 comprises Counties, Halls Granges, Manors, Dukedogs, Cities, all 2-8-0 tender locos, all 2-6-0 locos, 2251 0-6-0 tender locos, and all varieties of Large Prairies.

Group 4 comprises Kings, Castles and Stars.

I think that I will be using these Groups and fitting full price decoders to my models in Groups 1 and 2 , Hornby Hall TTS to my locos in Group 3, and I have already have Hornby TTS decoders in my Kings and Castles.

This may not work for locos with non 8 pin sockets, but there are a number of Hornby and Bachmann locos that are 8 pin. So the choice may be between 8/21 pin adapters, which there may not be room for in some locos; hard wiring 8 pin decoders, full price 21 pin decoders, or non sound decoders.

fitting non sound decoders in some cases will help to offset the full price decoders. I may not be able to make decisions on non sound decoders until I have completed my loco allocations to trains and see if there are any that will be used on perhaps one run in a day's timetable where the lack of sound will not be too noticeable!

I don't have locos in all the types detailed above as locos that were withdrawn before 1960 are not relevant to my layout. So the Dean Goods, saddle tanks, Cities (except Truro), Dukedogs, RODS (in the 2-8-0 category), 38xx Counties and Stars are not for me!  

In future posts I will detail the site's similar details for SR, LMR, ER, and BR locos plus BR Diesels and Units. It will probably take three more posts to cover these areas without blowing the readers minds with too much detail in one posting.

The sites listings in some areas are not as comprehensive as their GWR details above, but they say they will be expanding the lists as they develop sound files for more Locos and Units.

I hope this information is of use to others?

Best regards

Paul  

• Informative/Useful 4

Good afternoon fellow modelers,

Its nice to see the sun shining (at least it is in South Bedfordshire!) after several wet and miserable days!

I have been amusing myself inside the house with a few locos, wagons, and a small amount of track assembled as a shunting layout on the dining room table. Fortunately when, as is the case most days, there are only the two of us, we can eat in the kitchen so things can stay on the dining table.

Very much shades of my play with my Triang tabletop layout as a small boy. 

There has, however, been a more serious side to activities by way of testing the Kadees I fixed to some wagons last week, and some of my not quite standard choices of decoders in some locos..

I shall have to pack it all up tomorrow as it is SWMBO's turn for the table which she no doubt will cover with embroidery materials and threads for a few days.

Then I can get back to detailing in my posts the South West Digital suggestions for regional loco decoder options.

Tomorrow looks to be ok so I hope to get some time in the Railway Room, although I shall have to make an unplanned trip to Tesco to take back some printer cartridges that I can't get to work. I've had them in the past and they have been ok, apart from the odd strange message on the printer.

However I read in the newspaper last week that HP are getting more devious at measures to prevent remanufactured cartridges working in their printers. Unfortunately the paper suggested that all the leading printer manufacturers were following the same lines, so it will not be much help changing manufacturer of printer when this one gives out, which could be any time in the next two or three years.

Luckily we don't use much colour ink these days, unlike when we both worked and were also involved in local area support activities.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their modeling activities?

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 3

Hi Folks,

This afternoon I am going to take a look at Southwest Digitals analysis of SR loco decoders into which I am adding my own thoughts. I will make clear which are my own inputs!

Southwest Digital's analysis of SR loco decoders is not as tidy as their GWR version as they have 6 groups.

So for ease of comparison with their GWR analysis I am reversing the order of the analysis on their web site, and reducing the groups to 4 in number plus an additional group for the modified draughting locos:-

So what I am calling SR Group 1 comprises Terriers, P class and  other small tanks to which I am adding small 0-6-0 tender locos such as the C Class

In SR Group ,2 there are 0-6-2s such as the E4s, 0-4-4s such as the M7, Adams 4-4-2 radials, the T9s, and the 700 0-6-0s.  I would also add the small 4-4-0s (Ds, Es, etc.)

In SR Group 3 there are the various 2-6-0s such as the Us and U1s, the 4-6-0s such as the N15s, H15s and S15s. I would add the large Tanks such as the H16s, Ws, and Zs plus the original Schools

In Group 4 there are the West Country, Battle of Britain and Merchant Navy classes, both as built and rebuilt.

I feel an additional class, class 5 is needed for the Le Maitre/ multijet fitted N15s, Lord Nelsons, Qs, Q1s and Schools.  

Now I am not an expert in SR locos and their sounds, so If anyone thinks I have got it wrong, please say!

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 2

At the end of July I posted a couple of photos I had found of the extension to Witney GWR goods shed, and talked about the similarities to the extension to Maidenhead Goods Shed which I am modelling for Lower Thames Yard.

One of the areas I needed more information about on these extensions was on their road motor side, as I lacked a photo of that side of either extension.

I am pleased to report that while sorting out a file of articles taken out of railway magazines I found an article on the Witney Branch which included a photo taken from the up platform of the Fairford line at Witney

While this focused on an event taking place in the sports ground of a local company which lay between the station and the Goods Yard in the old Witney Station, it did  have the Goods Shed, and its extension in the background.

The detail of the Extension was not 100% clear, but I could see that the road side of it had one long valance enabling several vehicles to back up side by side to the loading bay which ran the whole length of the extension, rather than having the older fashioned separate narrow loading bays of the original sheds.

This confirmed what I had thought was the situation, so that was very pleasing.

I now will be able, with the assistance of the excellent photos taken by Nick Gough (Thanks Nick!), to do more drawings of the Maidenhead Goods Shed and extension.

Another bit of good news is that my local Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge railway is reopening on Saturday 19th September! So once again we will hear the whistles of the locos as they negotiate the three level crossing near to our house. Bliss!!

I hope everyone is well and staying safe?

Cheers

Paul

• Like 4

Pleased to hear that you've got the detail you needed for the extension, Paul.

I've been considering buying the Timber Tracks kit of Tetbury goods shed;

http://www.timbertracks.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_2&product_id=209

and surgically altering it to resemble Cholsey's.

On balance though, although it's the same basic design (and a smaller version of Maidenhead), there are so many differences I might as well scratchbuild.

Glad that Leighton Buzzard Rly will be running soon. I'll have to persuade my wife that we need a visit with our grandsons!

• Like 2

Nick,

Your comment about the Tetbury Kit sent me on an interesting circuit of The Timber Tracks site, followed by Ledbury (because they commented about doing a larger kit of Ledbury), and Ross on Wye!

I didn't gain anything helpful towards Maidenhead, but given the price of the Tetbury Kit, I, like you will be scratch building! 

Details of The LB Narrow Gauge timetable and autumn operating days are on their website.

Regards

Paul

• Like 3

Progress is slow at the moment:-

My own fault for too easily getting diverted onto interesting, but not main stream to the model, investigations. (see, for instance, my last post!)

And then my OR Tanker arrived, so of course I had to go find other tankers to compare it with, didn't I?

I am pleased that it adds a bit of variation to the Tanker fleet.

So many of the tankers offered are too similar, just with variations in bracing and other detail. (yes, I know, I could scratch build, modify etc. to get over this , but this would make the situation in my first sentence above, even worse!!)

Just when I was thinking, that I should hurry up , finish this post, and get out to the railway room, what happens?

Down comes the rain! - just supposed to be cloudy this afternoon, when I looked at the weather before lunch! Doh!!

Never mind, keep smiling,

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2