Tallpaul69

16 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

So I thought today I would move things forward 30 years from yesterday's posting for Bradenham by adding stock and locos for the 1990s version of the layout.

Oh, No, I hear you scream, not the dreaded toothpaste livery! Sorry, but i happen to like the NSE livery as a bright contract to the boring sameness of BR Blue!

So here we go:-

A) Passenger Trains

1) the auto trains that earlier ran between High Wycombe and Aylesbury or Banbury are now no more! The remaining few High Wycombe to Banbury runs are in the hands of a Class 121 Bubble car.

2/3) the outer suburban trains between Marylebone and Aylesbury/Haddenham/Princes Risborough are  much reduced so I shall use a mix of classes 101,108 and 117 DMUs. and with the Maidenhead to High Wycombe line closed, I will use DMUs for the few Paddington to Princes Risborough  trips - a class 117 set plus a 121 railcar towing a matching trailer {on some trips} 

4) Expresses between Paddington, Banbury and Birmingham, are no more, but as we have decided that the Thame branch survived for its whole length some of the Paddington to Oxford semi fasts in the hands of Class 50s with Mk1 or Mk2 stock will come this way!

5) Expresses between Marylebone and Leicester/Nottingham etc. are also no more!

B) Freight

1) the pick up freights, one each way between Banbury and OOC have ceased to run. 

2) the pick up freights, one each way between Oxford and Taplow via Princes Risborough and Maidenhead have also gone.

3) There is still some coal, such as a short trip from Didcot to Aylesbury behind 37s, and the Thame petroleum tanks are hanging on (just!) with 47 haulage.  

4) With the GW line cut at Birmingham, there are no fast freights from Birkenhead and Oxley to the OOC area, but there will be motor car trains from Cowley to the east coast ports, maybe behind 6os and some engineers or WD runs behind a variety of locos.  

In addition there were still some parcels trains each way,  with class 31, 37 or 47 haulage. In addition there might be class 20 weedkiller trains!

The early morning Reading to Princes Risborough parcels survived but cut back to High Wycombe and running via , so I will run this to Bradenham, but probably with only 1 or 2 vans!

I will also retain the extend the morning trip with a fish van and a parcels van of the a Parcels DMU (Now a class 128) from Beaconsfield as far as Bradenham!

I am debating whether a class 08 shunter might make a trip to Bradenham, from High Wycombe plus the surviving few coal wagons on the Watlington Branch freight from/to Princes Risborough, maybe with a class 31?. 

This will leave me with a mix of Diesels run excursions and football specials.

So this is a flavour of the 1992(ish) trains to be run in this version of this model.

Unlike the  1960s, this will not have to be trimmed once I get to fitting the stock into the available sidings!

More of this next time!

Best regards

Paul

Don't forget the occasional main line steam special.

There were quite a few in the '90s, mostly between Paddington and Stratford - upon - Avon.

Various loco types plus maroon Mark 1s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Don't forget the occasional main line steam special.

There were quite a few in the '90s, mostly between Paddington and Stratford - upon - Avon.

Various loco types plus maroon Mark 1s.

Nick,

You stole my thunder for today's post!

I do have KGV and Flying Scotsman amongst others for this duty.

The point on the class 56 runs is well made, I had forgotten  about them, I really need to locate my 1992 WTTs to make progress on the 1990s train possibilities.

However I am running a bit behind today as I have wasted spent the morning setting up a new printer as our old one died yesterday!

Unfortunately the new one doesn't enlarge so it's a trip to the Library when I or my wife want something enlarged (that is when they reopen!)

This afternoon I have to take a trip to the hospital for a routine eye check up that should have happened last September, so modelling/posting is a bit limited today

Best regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Nick,

You stole my thunder for today's post!

I do have KGV and Flying Scotsman amongst others for this duty.

Sorry Paul!

I well remember KGV on the GW&GCJ hauling the Bulmer's Pullman train for the 'Return to Steam' tour in October 1971.

At West Ruislip:

Image2-2-1.jpg.806ec9618892cf88a1200a6a6f64b4a2.jpg

And Ruislip Gardens:

1950072090_KGV1971004.jpg.f302fe7b2f3b3b6596f14bd0f9e15f3c.jpg

The train laid over at Kensington Olympia for the next two days, where the public were allowed to visit:Image3-1.jpg.25f46dd88e95b0508608af36318185f0.jpg

The next day, heading for Swindon, at Hayes & Harlington on the GWML:

Image3.jpg.195e3a5d98770314d4c55896ce8e633a.jpg

They were selling tickets for this leg, at Kensington Olympia, for £10 (IIRC) - far too expensive for me!

For preserved locos running on the GW&GCJ you've got a good selection to chose from. From memory, at least:

* 2 Kings

* 2 Castles

* 2 Halls

* 1 City

* 1 94xx

* 1 57xx

* 1 A3

* 2 A4

* 1 A1

* 1 Merchant Navy

* 1 West Country

* 1 King Arthur

* 1 Jubilee

* 1 Black 5

* 1 Britannia

• Like 4

On 11/05/2021 at 15:59, Nick Gough said:

For preserved locos running on the GW&GCJ you've got a good selection to chose from. From memory, at least:

* 2 Kings

* 2 Castles

* 2 Halls

* 1 City

* 1 94xx

* 1 57xx

* 1 A3

* 2 A4

* 1 A1

* 1 Merchant Navy

* 1 West Country

* 1 King Arthur

* 1 Jubilee

* 1 Black 5

* 1 Britannia

That looks like a pretty comprehensive list to me Nick,

I have examples of all of the above to run on the layout, although not necessarily the correct running numbers! Of these my King Arthur is not yet chipped.

Other possibilities that come to mind are a Manor, a Schools, the Midland Compound, and standard 4s and 5s?

More recently since its rebuild there is Duke of Gloucester and of course a number of preserved diesels such as class 40, class 45, and class 52.

Turning to the more mundane early 90s fare, I will be substituting some class 108s for the not modelled class 115 DMUs. I also have one class 165 in NSE livery to represent the new order! 

Towards the end of the early DMUs class 108s redundant elsewhere were drafted in to bolster the ailing 115s and there were some interesting combos run including the odd 121+ 115+ 108 set, which I shall model without the 115, or maybe with one or two 117 cars pretending to be 115s!

Tomorrow I will share my early thoughts on the station and other railway buildings.

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 3

Good afternoon All, although I am afraid it is a bit of a soggy one here in South Bedfordshire!

Yesterday I said I would talk today about the buildings for Bradenham, but before getting on to them, I must share two brainwaves!

1) The glaring omission from Nick and my  lists of locos for steam excursions on the GW&GC was Evening Star!!

2) Taking a cue from Hadenham and Aylesbury I think I am going to make the more modern versions of Bradenham station a "Parkway"?

Now it could simply be "Bradenham Parkway", or maybe "High Wycombe Parkway" (as at Aylesbury), or even "South Buckinghamshire Parkway"?

I will be interested in your thoughts dear readers?

And so on to the buildings:-

I think the up platform and Bay (remember this is laid out similarly to Thame) will be a shortened version of High Wycombe down platform, but without  the subway. Instead there will be a footbridge which will be a version of Thame's footbridge.

The down platform on the other hand will be a simple affair with just a small shelter. This will change between eras to a more modern small structure. This is so that there is not a large structure to block the view of trains passing through the station.

There will be a traditional weighing platform hut which in the modern eras will be a car park attendant's booth.

When we come to goods shed(s) things get a bit more complicated. 

My story is that there were more inwards than outwards shipments, so in the 30s the original goods shed was swept away and replaced by an open loading platform (Peco?), similar to the arrangement at High Wycombe .

The inwards side which had a separate shed on the two sidings to the right of the goods yard , gained more capacity by means of an extension.

So from a modelling point of view the inwards shed will be a shortened version of the High Wycombe one although  the brickwork will be simpler as the High Wycombe one was originally the Wycombe Railway passenger shed with a small engine shed on the side which was included in the goods shed when it was enlarged. High Wycombe Goods Shed also had a brick extension rather than the sheeted metal version as per Witney and maidenhead, that I intend to model for Bradenham.

For modern times the outwards loading platform will disappear and the inwards Goods Shed will become another industry, maybe partly a garage as happened at High Wycombe?

The signal box is something I have yet to get to grips with, maybe a standard GW&GC structure for the 60s era, replaced by a ground frame for more modern times. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated?

Incidentally, I hope to do a field trip to Bradenham soon to see how the railway sits in the landscape and to photo some of the village buildings.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

1) The glaring omission from Nick and my  lists of locos for steam excursions on the GW&GC was Evening Star!!

Sorry! I think 92220 was back in the NRM before there was regular steam over the Chiltern Line.

• Like 1

Good afternoon All, although I am afraid it is a bit of a soggy one here in South Bedfordshire!

Yesterday I said I would talk today about the buildings for Bradenham, but before getting on to them, I must share two brainwaves!

2) Taking a cue from Hadenham and Aylesbury I think I am going to make the more modern versions of Bradenham station a "Parkway"?

Now it could simply be "Bradenham Parkway", or maybe "High Wycombe Parkway" (as at Aylesbury), or even "South Buckinghamshire Parkway"?

I will be interested in your thoughts dear readers?

And so on to the buildings:-

I think the up platform and Bay (remember this is laid out similarly to Thame) will be a shortened version of High Wycombe down platform, but without  the subway. Instead there will be a footbridge which will be a version of Thame's footbridge.

The down platform on the other hand will be a simple affair with just a small shelter. This will change between eras to a more modern small structure. This is so that there is not a large structure to block the view of trains passing through the station.

There will be a traditional weighing platform hut which in the modern eras will be a car park attendant's booth.

When we come to goods shed(s) things get a bit more complicated. 

My story is that there were more inwards than outwards shipments, so in the 30s the original goods shed was swept away and replaced by an open loading platform (Peco?), similar to the arrangement at High Wycombe .

The inwards side which had a separate shed on the two sidings to the right of the goods yard , gained more capacity by means of an extension.

So from a modelling point of view the inwards shed will be a shortened version of the High Wycombe one although  the brickwork will be simpler as the High Wycombe one was originally the Wycombe Railway passenger shed with a small engine shed on the side which was included in the goods shed when it was enlarged. High Wycombe Goods Shed also had a brick extension rather than the sheeted metal version as per Witney and maidenhead, that I intend to model for Bradenham.

For modern times the outwards loading platform will disappear and the inwards Goods Shed will become another industry, maybe partly a garage as happened at High Wycombe?

The signal box is something I have yet to get to grips with, maybe a standard GW&GC structure for the 60s era, replaced by a ground frame for more modern times. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated?

Incidentally, I hope to do a field trip to Bradenham soon to see how the railway sits in the landscape and to photo some of the village buildings.

Best regards

Paul

A shorter version of the High Wycombe down building can be found at Toddington on the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway:DCP_3411.JPG.2d67ff44aa241fd1b8e2bc31af1c9cb6.JPGDCP_3425.JPG.a5dc15571cde823c2091ed4ec8fdd697.JPG

Alternatively, if you don't mind a slightly different GW&GCJ building, you could consider one from Beaconsfield:

100_8559.JPG.7c3af4e80ce3a62a690a04f94b17b260.JPG100_8588.JPG.0851af254fea6adefb19a48df6b2ba1e.JPG

100_8567.JPG.45226af6e6243a49908deae1c4c870f9.JPG

100_8573.JPG.a23cc04156c35a93c017cfe4ba1a1687.JPG

For the other platform, I would suggest the (still existing) shelter from Saunderton:

901907923_Upbuilding.JPG.3e6e9b49b2c69dde69c35081a6b9f611.JPG1067709083_Upbuilding3.JPG.7d764b66108971b58d2ebcd6cdbaaf2e.JPG

This type of signal box is the right design and period either with external or internal steps:

1152630143_signalbox.jpg.085b2743b03a25c168eea92393ece828.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

According to the Internet:-

Evening Star remained in operation into the 1980s and is one of nine surviving 9Fs. From July 1973 it operated on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway , moving to the National Railway Museum , York in May 1975.

So, until I can track the use of Evening Star on rail tours out of the NRM, I will be safer using her on a special or more normal running during my "steam era!

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos Nick,

While I like the Beaconsfield/Toddington buildings, I might need to extend the canopies because of the bay.

However, the Beaconsfield footbridge might be an easier model than the Thame one, and yes, the Saunderton shelter would fit the bill for the down platform, with the benefit of a precedent for keeping it for the modern eras.

Not sure about the signal box, have to work out how that compares with the Thame one which would be the right frame size for Bradenham.

Investigations continue.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

This type of signal box is the right design and period either with external or internal steps:

1152630143_signalbox.jpg.085b2743b03a25c168eea92393ece828.jpg

A Ratio one would be close enough for me.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2

Good Afternoon one and All,

Another "April" day in the middle of May! Still,it will do the gardens good after the dry April I tell myself.

I have started sketching out Bradenham onto my "Thame" track plan. Already on version 2 as the first one didn't look right.

Hopefully I can post a copy of it here tomorrow, unless I have to resort to version 3...... (or 4!) 

Ideally I wanted the station road to be opposite the main street of the village which goes off to the east of the main north south road which runs parallel to the railway. However, the only spaces on the layout for any representation of the village are to the south east or northeast of the station, as the fiddle yard is on the far side of the layout from the station. The car parking for the post steam era versions is a bit tricky as well. If its going to be a "Parkway" then it needs a reasonable space to....park!

Providing such a space for a car park, will, I think, push the village to the south east of the station, which in turn puts the station towards Saunderton, rather than West Wycombe. I am toying with a removable cover for the sidings in the post steam eras to provide more car parking although I did want some sidings retained for engineering purposes. Similarly I will build a removable grass cover for part of the car park for use in the steam era.

If I decide that the rail authorities would be allowed to build a two floor car park over the sidings (bearing in mind the village's National Trust ownership), then that would make the covering of the sidings less obvious as it would be hidden by the side structures for the car park, although the whole thing would be a more substantial item to put in and take out for the different eras being portrayed! 

However, the engineering wagons in the sidings will also help to mask the lower part of the carpark behind them. And if I can keep two engineers sidings, one or the other can always have wagons in it so improving the masking.

That's all for now folks, I need to get on with the drawing work that the above thoughts mean that I need to do!

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Saunderton's upside building looks a lot better now thanks to the efforts of the local Community Rail Group including the very expensive replacement canopy.

762649244_D-BR-4742_CH165001Saunderton26-6-19.jpg.184d4f17fa2212fd75e1797870846ac3.jpg

Installed on the authority of the local AM at the time...  Immediately drivers stated making observations: "We like the new canopy but unfortunately it obscures our view of signal ME154" (on the end of the platform.  As a result a banner repeater on a gantry had to be provided - just visible above - at huge expense!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Saunderton's upside building looks a lot better now thanks to the efforts of the local Community Rail Group including the very expensive replacement canopy.

762649244_D-BR-4742_CH165001Saunderton26-6-19.jpg.184d4f17fa2212fd75e1797870846ac3.jpg

Installed on the authority of the local AM at the time...  Immediately drivers stated making observations: "We like the new canopy but unfortunately it obscures our view of signal ME154" (on the end of the platform.  As a result a banner repeater on a gantry had to be provided - just visible above - at huge expense!

I've got a Bachmann waiting room that looks just like that one 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/05/2021 at 18:38, Tallpaul69 said:

According to the Internet:-

Evening Star remained in operation into the 1980s and is one of nine surviving 9Fs. From July 1973 it operated on the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway , moving to the National Railway Museum , York in May 1975.

So, until I can track the use of Evening Star on rail tours out of the NRM, I will be safer using her on a special or more normal running during my "steam era!

Evening Star didn't take part in the eighties steam revival on the Chiltern Line but it did work the LCGB's 'Six Counties Limited' rail tour on 3 April 1960  https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/600403lc.html.  Local legend has it that it also worked the evening Slough to Oxley goods (via Bourne End) on several occasions in its early days.

• Like 3

Good Afternoon one and All,

Another "April" day in the middle of May! Still,it will do the gardens good after the dry April I tell myself.

I have started sketching out Bradenham onto my "Thame" track plan. Already on version 2 as the first one didn't look right.

Hopefully I can post a copy of it here tomorrow, unless I have to resort to version 3...... (or 4!) 

Ideally I wanted the station road to be opposite the main street of the village which goes off to the east of the main north south road which runs parallel to the railway. However, the only spaces on the layout for any representation of the village are to the south east or northeast of the station, as the fiddle yard is on the far side of the layout from the station. The car parking for the post steam era versions is a bit tricky as well. If its going to be a "Parkway" then it needs a reasonable space to....park!

Providing such a space for a car park, will, I think, push the village to the south east of the station, which in turn puts the station towards Saunderton, rather than West Wycombe. I am toying with a removable cover for the sidings in the post steam eras to provide more car parking although I did want some sidings retained for engineering purposes. Similarly I will build a removable grass cover for part of the car park for use in the steam era.

If I decide that the rail authorities would be allowed to build a two floor car park over the sidings (bearing in mind the village's National Trust ownership), then that would make the covering of the sidings less obvious as it would be hidden by the side structures for the car park, although the whole thing would be a more substantial item to put in and take out for the different eras being portrayed! 

However, the engineering wagons in the sidings will also help to mask the lower part of the carpark behind them. And if I can keep two engineers sidings, one or the other can always have wagons in it so improving the masking.

That's all for now folks, I need to get on with the drawing work that the above thoughts mean that I need to do!

Best regards

Paul

I think - in your alternate reality - with a station at Bradenham - Saunderton station would not have existed.

The actual village of Saunderton is two or three miles away, and nearer to Princes Risborough. Just about the only buildings in the vicinity of the station, before it was opened, were a pub and the Wycombe Union workhouse. Bradenham seems a more obvious site for a station in the locality.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

You've got to wonder why NR didn't just move the signal - but I suppose that would have been even more expensive!

• Like 2

Nick makes a good point reference Saunderton station not existing if Bradenham had one.

The same might be said of West Wycombe, which closed in 1958 for passengers?

So all this is encouragement for my Bradenham story! 

The thing I have to work out is how Wycombe End fits into my story? First thing to decide is where it might have sat in the countryside and how it was connected to the main line.

The story will  might unfold tomorrow, well anyway sometime this week!

Cheers All 

• Like 4

My current thinking on the "fit" of Wycombe end into my version of the High Wycombe to R section of the GW&GC is that WE is just to the south of Bradenham accessible only from the down line into which its connection trails so that it is only accessible to down trains by reversing, and up trains by them working "wrong road" from the south end of Bradenham Yard.

So I intend to work it by the High Wycombe yard shunter setting off with a working to Bradenham at 09.00, pausing to work High Wycombe North yard between 0905 and 0930 and arriving at Bradenham at 09.40.

The train leaves High Wycombe made up with North yard wagons behind the loco then Wycombe End wagons with Bradenham wagons at the rear in front of the Toad, which is sign written to work between High Wycombe and Bradenham only.  Any wagons picked up at North Yard are placed behind the loco, in front of the Wycombe end wagons.

On arrival at Bradenham, the loco runs round, and puts  the bradenham wagons into a separate siding and leaves wrong road for Wycombe End with just the Wycombe end wagons.....

More to follow tomorrow.......

Cheers All,

Paul   

• Like 4

Apologies for the abrupt end to my last post, but someone who I expected to come to pick something up at 5pm arrived early!

So picking up where I left off.......

Firstly, I should have explained that as well as putting the Bradenham wagons into a siding, the loco also put the Toad into a  siding.

This is because the shunt to Wycombe End is allowed to operate without a brake van provided there is less than 10 wagons.

The basis for this is the real life run of the High Wycombe shunter from the station yard to the north yard and return without a brake van. 

So the shunter leaves for Wycombe End at 10.00, arriving at 10.05.

After shunting the shunter leaves for Bradenham at 11.00 arriving at 11.05 and then shunting further.

It leaves for High Wycombe at 12.00 arriving 12.15.

The above routine will be repeated at 19.00 from High Wycombe.

There is a difference however.:-

That is that a different engine will perform the later trip. This is because the High Wycombe shunting engine is swapped very weekday at 17.50 when the shunter for the past 24 hours is swapped for the engine on the incoming freight from Taplow, and the used loco departs back to Slough shed on the outgoing freight to Taplow at 18.25. 

Secondly, in the first sentence of the previous post, I referred to "R". I meant, Princes Risborough, but due to the above mentioned sudden interruption, I didn't get to read the post before hitting the send button!

Tomorrow, I will explain more about the operation of Bradenham, and the activities there that I am copying from other stations in the area.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 4

Oh Heck,

It's Thursday afternoon already and I am nowhere near ready to give you further detail s of the steam era operation Bradenham!

This is partly because other needs of daily life got in the way, (family, garden, etc.) and partly because i decided to move forward on the layout of Bradenham station and surrounds. It is beginning to look like the village will be mainly hints and part structures and more in the corners of the layout than i had envisaged. Part of the trouble is the amount of space needed for car parking and the roadways associated with the large inwards goods shed.

As a contribution towards saving time on constructing the goods sheds, I have been watching Nick Gough's progress on his goods shed.

Already there are a number of tasks associated with that which I had not identified ,such as the amount of time to get the interior right, even though much of it will not be visible from the outside. The moral of the story is that as you can't tell what you will see from the outside until its finished, you had better finish all the inside other wise it is a safe bet that the bit you don't finish will be visible and stick out like a sore thumb! 

Anyway, sometime in the next few days I will post the latest, but probably not the final, plan of the layout with the main scenery and structures. 

Keep on modelling!!

• Like 3

Good Afternoon All, once again from a wet and windy Bedfordshire.

So here is the current state of play in the scenic plans for Bradenham.

This is still very much a work in progress, although I have tidied it up a bit to make it understandable (hopefully !) to readers.

1579227157_paullayoutBradenham3-01.jpg.7a5ea1ab41496b0925d67e9db6043ebf.jpg

Two areas that need reworking are the exit of the station approach road from the scenic area (at the left of the layout) and the area at the top right of the inwards goods shed to turn it from a 90 degree bend into a crossroads. Here the main road across the layout needs to disappear behind a building, so as to disguise the road running into the railway!

The fourth arm of the crossroads should be the road at right angles to the main road which in reality ran through the village.

One area that I am going to draw a larger scale plan of, to enable me to work up a viable plan for it, is the area immediately behind the yard sidings which needs to give an impression of the main road which runs across the layout, but for which you can see, there is not the correct room between the station yard and the  fiddle yard. 

One of the advantages of "Bradenham" over "Thame" is that there is no need for road overbridges in the scenic area although this does increase the amount of the rails that are in the scenic area and therefore the amount of ballasting needed!

Areas that appear blank in the above sketch particularly in the three corners of the layout will be open land/fields but the lower left corner will have the connection towards Wycombe End crossing it and the lower right will have the connections to some non scenic storage sidings, now that "High Wycombe" is not happening.

I am sure that there are many scenic errors or wrong lines of sight, so I would appreciate you all telling me about them?

I would rather be told about things I am already aware of, if it means I also learn about things I have missed rather than remaining in ignorance of the things I have missed.

Many thanks

Paul

• Like 4

Hi All,

I thought I would start today's post with some real steam!

The Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway finally started it's 2021 season yesterday. I hoped to get some shots of the first train away, but due to getting held up in the post office on the way, I got there just in time to see the train disappearing in the distance, and it being a cold day i decided not to hang around for an hour for the next train!

This morning, I started out in good time, got halfway there and it started raining, so I diverted to the nearest road crossing to home and walked around the area so as to get there just before the train was due. Thankfully the rain soon stopped, so here are a couple of shots:-

1743384990_NGR23-05-21-5.jpg.c7d9cb7cdbb3563e055cf5782c10d79f.jpg

This first shot shows the train coasting over the road. Pity the flagsman was looking away!

1826098632_NGR23-05-21-7.jpg.001fafdfa1cf055525420715fd3fc57f.jpg

Here is the saloon at the back of the train, with the train paused to pick up the flagsmen. Nice to see a young enthusiast(?) at the rear window.

Meanwhile, the next stage of the Bradenham scenic planning will be a full scale mock up of the station approach and another one for the road junction to the right of the Goods Inward shed.

More on these once I have made a start on them later in the week.

I hope everyone is well, and making progress with their layouts?

Best regards

Paul

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi All,

I thought I would start today's post with some real steam!

The Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway finally started it's 2021 season yesterday. I hoped to get some shots of the first train away, but due to getting held up in the post office on the way, I got there just in time to see the train disappearing in the distance, and it being a cold day i decided not to hang around for an hour for the next train!

This morning, I started out in good time, got halfway there and it started raining, so I diverted to the nearest road crossing to home and walked around the area so as to get there just before the train was due. Thankfully the rain soon stopped, so here are a couple of shots:-

1743384990_NGR23-05-21-5.jpg.c7d9cb7cdbb3563e055cf5782c10d79f.jpg

This first shot shows the train coasting over the road. Pity the flagsman was looking away!

1826098632_NGR23-05-21-7.jpg.001fafdfa1cf055525420715fd3fc57f.jpg

Here is the saloon at the back of the train, with the train paused to pick up the flagsmen. Nice to see a young enthusiast(?) at the rear window.

Meanwhile, the next stage of the Bradenham scenic planning will be a full scale mock up of the station approach and another one for the road junction to the right of the Goods Inward shed.

More on these once I have made a start on them later in the week.

I hope everyone is well, and making progress with their layouts?

Best regards

Paul

I must try and get there for another visit.

The last time was just before they rebuilt the terminus at Pages Park.

• Friendly/supportive 1