Wash and Brush-Up

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I've just been looking through my new copy of The Atmospheric Western https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/the-atmospheric-western-george-heirons-evocative-photographs-described-by-leslie-price/

Image 68 is a view of Gloucester Central station in which is visible a sign reading GENTLEMEN WASH & BRUSH UP.

I seem to remember from my youth signs offering Wash and Brush-Up, but I have no idea what this entailed. Was it a service undertaken by an attendant or was it self-administered?

What was it that was brushed? - one's hair, one's shoes, one's clothes?

There is a British Transport Film entitled Wash and Brush Up, but it's not pertinent to this query except to highlight that it must have been an expression in common use at the time.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

The BTC film is well worth the watching, and entitles those who have watched to buy another 20% more locos, as if your locos are out of service every 10 working days you need 20% more of them to maintain the timetable...

That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, slilley said:

The attached page is from Sir John Elliot's autobiography and relates to his time as the Chief Regional Officer on the LMR around 1949. It may give some indication of what sort of thing was involved.

IMG_1013.jpg

Yes, that sounds as if it might be the sort of thing.

Is that book "on and Off the Rails"? It's one I've had on my to-read list for a while.

The term reminds me of an old cartoon 

A chap is at the sink doing his thing and behind him is the toilet attendant advancing meaningfully with a mop held in the fashion of a knight with a lance......

But as the name suggests it is access to a private washroom, for more attentive washing than the sink in the public domain would allow. There was such a facility on offer in the attended public toilets at Sheffield Town Hall until quite recently.

There was also a barber half way down the steps to the Gentlemens at Manchester Piccadilly until the turn of this centuries station renovations.....

23 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Yes, that sounds as if it might be the sort of thing.

Is that book "on and Off the Rails"? It's one I've had on my to-read list for a while.

Andy

Yes it is. Bought it about 30 years in South Kensington and enjoyed it greatly.

Simon