Western Region Non-Passenger Trains – Images from Dick Riley and Peter Gray Collections

Strathwood

• RMweb Gold

We now stock and offer the exciting new range of titles from The Transport Treasury, all of which are available from our warehouse.

Limited Edition, from the Transport Treasury photographic library.

‘Western Region Non Passenger Trains’.  Think of any railway but the (Great Western) or the Western Region in particular and thoughts will invariably turn to trains like the ‘Cornish Riviera’ or ‘Cheltenham Flyer’. But these and others like them were only one small part of the scene with the majority of services made up of lesser passenger workings and even more of freight.

In this new book, respected Great Western and Western Region author Jeremy Clements has cast aside the prestige workings and instead concentrates on everything from parcels to coal and milk and from through freight and pick up workings to branch line services and even freight train banking.

Over 120 images the work of renowned photographers Dick Riley and Peter Gray make up what is an excellent example of Non-Passenger workings as they used to be also depicting locomotive classes from the largest through to the humble branch line engine. Most of the former WR network is featured, reproduced on quality art paper and with detailed and informative captions of the type the author is renowned for.

A larger format portrait album with 165 high quality black & white photographs within 112 pages.

SOFTBACK

TTT WRNPT.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks Robin, so they're not just an archive any longer and I can buy this book from my favourite railway bookseller then - https://www.titfield.co.uk/

Or direct with free postage.;)

https://ttpublishing.co.uk/product/western-region-non-passenger-trains-images-from-dick-riley-and-peter-gray-collections/

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yup, in "da shop", as well as any other decent seller of railway books I should hope, such as that nice young Mr Hudson up North, for you Northern types....

Transport Treasury are publishing a whole series of books, see their website for details.

So far they have all been really good, I think my favourite is probably the "Atmospheric Western" - fantastic images all from George Heiron.

Simon 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mdvle said:

Looking at the cover photo, which appears to be taken around Aller Junction, I can't help but wish to have been on the platforms in Newton Abbot when that version of the Torbay Express pulled in.

Have seen similar pictures in other books along the Goodrington - Newton Abbot route..

Reason given is that after working the down Torbay Express, stabling the stock for the following days London service, the loco used to then work the Goodrington - Newton Abbot pick up freight sometimes with headboard still in place.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2020 at 17:48, Not Jeremy said:

Yup, in "da shop", as well as any other decent seller of railway books I should hope, such as that nice young Mr Hudson up North, for you Northern types....

Transport Treasury are publishing a whole series of books, see their website for details.

So far they have all been really good, I think my favourite is probably the "Atmospheric Western" - fantastic images all from George Heiron.

Simon 

I am still regretting 'dithering' over whether or not to buy this at the Stafford show and coming away empty handed! My only reason at the time was that the paper and reproduction quality isnt quite as good as the recent Colin Gifford 'Transitions' ort he MNA 'Never Again' which were similarly priced (per volume). But I will undoubtedly end up buying it anyway as the images are superb!

27 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You and your milk ha ha

I just want to find out if these pictures are the cream of the crop. I don't want to buy a book only to be cheesed off by the lack of content. There is no point in buttering someone up for nothing. But I think I've milked this topic enough now. ;)

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I received my copy of the Non-Passenger book and also the Heiron book this morning, thanks to very efficient service from Simon at https://www.titfield.co.uk/

Both books are excellent, but the Heiron one in particular has the most stunning photos. The Non-Passenger book has a lot of information on train formations and also makes for very interesting reading with well-researched and informative captions.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2020 at 17:09, Captain Kernow said:

I received my copy of the Non-Passenger book and also the Heiron book this morning, thanks to very efficient service from Simon at https://www.titfield.co.uk/

Both books are excellent, but the Heiron one in particular has the most stunning photos. The Non-Passenger book has a lot of information on train formations and also makes for very interesting reading with well-researched and informative captions.

Your final phrase says what makes this book stand out from the crowd. Some wonderful images indeed but the accompanying text is authoritative,meticulously researched and written in an approachable manner.

Having indulged myself recently with a number of photographic albums of the 50’s and 60’s in order to keep myself sane during the longeurs of lockdown this seems not to be the case with some “editors” of historic photographic material.

Bluntly,I have thoroughly enjoyed the nostalgic wallow through many images but the experience has been tarnished by the innumerable howling errors which emasculate the pages.I will name no names to spare embarrassment.

This is refreshingly not the case with both Transport Treasury publications you mention.

Caveat.....don’t always believe that what you read speaks to you with authority.Some of it may appear on this forum and be quoted as such.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

The copy I have of the GW Non Passenger book is literally coming apart at the seams!  The pages are coming off from the covers.  I have sent an EM to TT but so far unfortunately have received no reply.

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The copy I have of the GW Non Passenger book is literally coming apart at the seams!  The pages are coming off from the covers.  I have sent an EM to TT but so far unfortunately have received no reply.

Brian.

So has mine, it's a good book excellent photos but it's coming apart at the spine and is not going last long as a reference book. It's also about 5 times as expensive as the books I usually buy ( from second hand book shops.)

• Agree 1

At least its not just me, David and as I have already bought similar books from TT, I hope they don't suffer the same fate!  It is a good book though and a shame this has happened!:(

Brian.