Speaker hiss with Loksound 4 on Bachmann 47346 (31-661DS)

mevaman1

I am sorry if this has been covered before.  I have bought a Bachmann sound fitted Dutch liveried 47346 and find there is pronounced speaker hiss.  I assume that I should fit a new speaker.

What would anyone recommend for this?  Any advice much appreciated.

Andrew

• RMweb Gold

What speaker have Bachmann installed in that model Andrew - and how?

If its a 22 x 40 is worth making sure it is properly sealed in. If Bachmann have used this speaker in their usual mounting take the mounting out and throw it away... and reseal the speaker in directly to the chassis with a gasket of blue tack around it.

Hope that helps

Thanks both.  I have removed the speaker enclosure and sealed with blue tack but still get the hiss.

Charlie, I’ll buy the speaker off you and get the sound reblown when I see you at Ally Pally.  Do you still take pasties as payment ?

A handful points from me;

Blu-tac is not a good long-term solution for making speakers airtight, I always recommend PVA glue instead.

A simple but very effective solution for speaker hiss is to drape a layer of felt or similar material over the speaker. It kills the very top-end frequencies but keeps the important bass and mid-ranges intact.

Hiss is always more prominent when the speaker is in the top and / or facing upwards than in the tanks and / or facing down.

Bif

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, legomanbiffo said:

Blu-tac is not a good long-term solution for making speakers airtight, I always recommend PVA glue instead.

A simple but very effective solution for speaker hiss is to drape a layer of felt or similar material over the speaker. It kills the very top-end frequencies but keeps the important bass and mid-ranges intact.

Hiss is always more prominent when the speaker is in the top and / or facing upwards than in the tanks and / or facing down.

Bif

Useful tips there Biff - many thanks! Particularly like the felt one, black would serve to hid the speaker under fan grille too where there is no room to leave the fan in place.

A 22 x 40 speaker directly on to a Bachmann chassis needs rather more than PVA to keep it air tight.... were you going to develop any more 3d printed speaker enclosures along the lines of the ones for the 27 and 33? Those are brilliant.....

23 hours ago, legomanbiffo said:

Bif

Hey Bif

Thanks for the advice.  I have one of Charlie’s Bachmann 47s fitted with your sound that I bought a few years back and this is loads better than this new Bachmann purchase.   

I haven’t checked the speaker set up in the DC kits fitted 47 and will take a look later.

I confess to not being too keen on the Bachmann sound as the start up is pretty basic and it doesn’t  have the notch up/down facility.

I will probably bring the loco to Ally Pally for a new decoder/speaker purchased from you. 

Bif - 1

Bachmann - nil 

Remember that I only pay in pasties!

Andrew

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah most of the recent 37s have been refurbs - we are old school green/blue so not right for us any way. 

Manufacturers sounds were at their worst when they went through a phase of mismatching sound file and chip versions... With some the loco was 100 yards down the line before the engine spooled up...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 30/01/2020 at 15:47, charliepetty said:

An IP2 Speaker should solve that issue.   Made for the 47 with no mod's to do.   So if its a 21Pin loco with a V4 Decoder then use this.

See  https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=382&search=IP2

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Little bit  of a search found this thread so I'm a few months behind but could you tell me how to wire up this speaker please? I fitted one of Biffs chips this morning with a speaker attached but with an IP2 in the pack. Obviously I snip and trim the wires then solder but does it matter which way they go?

Cheers

On 28/09/2020 at 18:59, mallaig1983 said:

Hi Charlie,

Little bit  of a search found this thread so I'm a few months behind but could you tell me how to wire up this speaker please? I fitted one of Biffs chips this morning with a speaker attached but with an IP2 in the pack. Obviously I snip and trim the wires then solder but does it matter which way they go?

Cheers

If its the 47 we are talking about, there are two tabs on the circuit board covered by the plastic wire holders, these cover two tabs.  I take these off and discard them, solder on the two wires they are holding in, the spare two terminals should be marked SP or LS (Cannot Remember) The speaker wires get soldered on here.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo)

• Thanks 1