Didsbury

Wow, that's looks amazing. It's a shame though that all of your work on the beautiful station frontage will be hidden from view. And for a second I thought that the mesh bridge for the pavement was on the wrong side, but having looked at this picture it was my memory playing tricks with me.

Negative No: 1965-2730 - Negatives Book Entry: 05-08-1965_Highways_School Lane Didsbury_Bridge over Railway

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Hi Montyburn,

thanks, the small building on the left embankment adjacent to bridge is the small cross shaped structure, Shown on here somewhere, supposedly how it looked in the 60s.

You're right, I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out.

21 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Hi yes,

you are correct, I’m not the best when it comes to weathering, one department I  am found wanting.

The weathering on main building is excellent, it's just that the cream paint work seems too clean from the pictures that I've seen from the 60s.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a beautiful model railway. The line closed before I was born and I only have vague memories of the station building in use as a DIY shop prior to demolition so this is great to see. Is the layout to scale and do you have a track plan that you can please share?

Just been on Google to have a look around Didsbury as it is now, wow, it has really changed - I forgot about the raft over the old railway alignment that the Metrolink passes under and the rebuilt School Lane bridge.

Whenever I do happen to travel through Didsbury I tend to come in from Barlow Moor road, turn right onto Wilmslow to head to Kingsway so I don't see much of the changes.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

thank you for the kind comments.

I don’t have a track plan but the customer has tried to copy the original track plan formation as it was in the 60s, the signals will be added also.

There is much work to be done on the scenic side, I was asked to construct all the buildings and structures, with the track laying and scenic down to the owner.

peter

• Thanks 1

Woodenhead,

hi, thanks for the kind comments, we have tried to capture the look of the 60s period as best we can, using old photos, maps and for the owner, memories of the station and area around that period.

The task was to try to recreate a. Childhood memory of the Station back in those steam days.

peter

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My grandparents lived in Didsbury until the early 80s (even after they moved away we still went up there on a weekly basis). I was too young to remember the station buildings, but I certainly remember the clock tower. We left the area back in the 90s apart from revisiting for a wedding a few years ago (when sadly we didn't have time to take a trip on the Metrolink).

Edited by RJS1977

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

My grandparents lived in Didsbury until the early 80s (even after they moved away we still went up there on a weekly basis). I was too young to remember the station buildings, but I certainly remember the clock tower. We left the area back in the 90s apart from revisiting for a wedding a few years ago (when sadly we didn't have time to take a trip on the Metrolink).

The clock tower is still there although everything else around the station site has changed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4183445,-2.2316743,3a,75y,26.62h,97.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6-VICZ6B7BNksgjKDjnzJw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I vaguely remember the station building which was then in use as a DIY shop, I must've been about 4. It was demolished in 1981. Such a pity the line couldn't have been retained however good to see it reopened as Metrolink. I believe this would've happened much sooner had it not been for politics...

7 hours ago, Jim76 said:

I vaguely remember the station building which was then in use as a DIY shop, I must've been about 4. It was demolished in 1981. Such a pity the line couldn't have been retained however good to see it reopened as Metrolink. I believe this would've happened much sooner had it not been for politics...

The irony though is that apart from the infilled cutting at Heaton Mersey, there are vacant trackbeds (albeit much in use as long-distance paths) most of the way to Stoke-on-Trent, so had Metrolink not been built, it could have been a cheaper alternative to HS2 Phase 2.

• Like 1

RJS,

Sounds very interesting, have not looked at that, Im certainly no expert on the Midland, But it’s amazing what information you pick up when working on a railway related subject matter and it’s always so interesting.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That station building is a cracking bit of modeling Peter. I will follow this thread with envy as I'm sure the layout will blossom into front page stuff.

Regards Shaun