O no!

Pete 75C

30 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Ok, I blame everyone on RMWeb that has ever said something along the lines of "Once you've tried O gauge, you'll never go back". You know who you are.

:angel:  :whistle:   

But it's true, isn't it? ;)

Slippery slope, Sir. Slippery slope....  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Great idea for a layout, I'll be interested to follow this. I love that location, will you have a crossing at the end leading to a preserved line, I liked that on Croydon North Street, could be an excuse for an unusual stock movement? 

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

Edit: Oh, and for those that know me, spot the Lego!

7mm_001.jpg

The 'cheese' pieces, 1x1, either side off the planks in between the rails?

I'm am a big Lego fan, although have backed off in recent years.  I was one of the founder members of the Brickish Association (a club for 'Adult Fans of Lego') back in 2002 but was really into the trains more than the overall Lego thing.  There is some excellent work out there using Lego as an artistic medium to create reasonable O-gauge-ish models.

Jon

• Like 1

Nice bit of work so far....and O is definitely the way forward....well it is to me ;) (at least one of em!)

I too think the Lego is the cheesy wedge shaped bit that looks a bit like the ends of a AWS ramp poking out from under the sleeper crossing 

• Agree 1

Thanks for the comments - much appreciated! I've been lurking on RMWeb for a while but it does feel good to be building something again, even if it's just a length of track stuck to a ply frame. I can't really think of this as a "layout", more a scenic test track.

Well spotted - the deflector ramps either side of the barrow crossing are indeed those little 1x1 Lego cheese slices. The funny thing is that in OO I doubt I'd have bothered with them, but in O it seems much easier to make the effort. I guess it's all in the detail.

Steve - I had thought about putting in a gate and embedding the rails to allow for a possible extension at the left hand end, exactly like Sheringham today. In fact, the concrete-sleepered flatbottom you can see in the pic does become bullhead further along and I have taken this bullhead right up to the board edge and soldered it to copperclad. Call it future-proofing. However, I'm going to put a buffer stop in and cover about 10 inches of track with a removable hardstanding big enough for a couple of cars to park, but yes, it would be possible to extend. At the moment, although I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Sheringham, I don't want it to be Sheringham. I do want it to look like the line continued on somewhere in past days though. With even a fictional location, I think there needs to be a back-story as to how the line came to be there.

Like North Street, there will be a road overbridge as a scenic break, and a path will lead down behind the platform from the bridge. No station facilities, just a basic shelter and help point. The platform will be just big enough for a 2-car DMU. After ballasting, the next job is to paint and fit around 14 little brick piers to act as platform supports.

• Like 6

I forgot to mention, this was what started it all... Heavily reduced at Rails of Sheffield (we like a bargain), it would have been rude not to buy one. I genuinely was not expecting it to be so heavy! A Dapol 08 and a couple of wagons will shortly follow.

class_128.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, beast66606 said:

Model it without any trains, call it Basil Road and claim it's a model of up to date GA operations.

A Sanders coach on the forecourt and half a dozen angry looking passengers - you might be on to something! I need to pop into Norwich later on one of the new Stadlers, probably jinxed it now...

:mellow:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete 75C said:

Steve - I had thought about putting in a gate and embedding the rails to allow for a possible extension at the left hand end, exactly like Sheringham today. In fact, the concrete-sleepered flatbottom you can see in the pic does become bullhead further along and I have taken this bullhead right up to the board edge and soldered it to copperclad. Call it future-proofing. However, I'm going to put a buffer stop in and cover about 10 inches of track with a removable hardstanding big enough for a couple of cars to park, but yes, it would be possible to extend. At the moment, although I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Sheringham, I don't want it to be Sheringham. 

Careful, you'll need the Oliver cromwell to open the level Crossing on the High street..

Then the council will put a limit on how many trains are permitted to cross the road each year.

Ps the BR class 7 is 1.6ft long in "O" so it will fit... 

• Like 4

I sympathise... I live in a smallish house with a wife and three young kids, don't have room for a permanent layout- then after coming into a little bit of money last year as a treat I made the mistake of buying a Dapol 08 from Hattons on a sale.  Purely impulse purchase, and I think it's a brilliant model, but...  I barely have space for 009, let alone 0, but I keep thinking I ought to do something :)Looking forward to how this progresses!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

A Sanders coach on the forecourt and half a dozen angry looking passengers - you might be on to something! I need to pop into Norwich later on one of the new Stadlers, probably jinxed it now...

:mellow:

Nothing wrong with a Sanders I am driving one of there ex optares down in Devon

• Like 1

Super, i didn’t think you’d ever been away to be honest....sure to be a good siding with your eye for detail ...

I have three park side 16T gathering dust on my shelf, that was my venture into O gauge. I decided my skills weren’t good enough for scrutiny on that scale, in actual fact I should probably look at Z !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Super, i didn’t think you’d ever been away to be honest....sure to be a good siding with your eye for detail ...

I have three park side 16T gathering dust on my shelf, that was my venture into O gauge. I decided my skills weren’t good enough for scrutiny on that scale, in actual fact I should probably look at Z !

Are you kidding Rob??? Your attention to detail would be fantastic in 7mm. I remember you taking some 1:76 Land Rovers apart so you could tape some paperwork to the inside of the windscreens before using them as wagon loads. That's attention to detail. Or perhaps insanity. Jury's out. <_<

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

Are you kidding Rob??? Your attention to detail would be fantastic in 7mm. I remember you taking some 1:76 Land Rovers apart so you could tape some paperwork to the inside of the windscreens before using them as wagon loads. That's attention to detail. Or perhaps insanity. Jury's out. <_<

Good memory ! Yes, that was the quartermasters orders on an army landie.

This O gauge though, It’s right there in your face, no hiding !

anyway, will watch with interest - I’d love O in the garden if I ever have a big enough one..

• Like 1