40 years of 'Rocks by Rail' and Updates

Ian Smeeton

• RMweb Premium

I remember visiting when I was a kid (it was still the Rutland railway museum then) it was a great afternoon out!  The day we went Christopher Awdry was there, and there was a massive crane, and a row of engines, and we had a brake an ride - the only one I ever had.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, MrSimon said:

I remember visiting when I was a kid (it was still the Rutland railway museum then) it was a great afternoon out!  The day we went Christopher Awdry was there, and there was a massive crane, and a row of engines, and we had a brake an ride - the only one I ever had.

Come back ad see us one day, we still do brake van rides.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I also went years ago, that day there were a few layouts I think in that green shed in the first photo. My mate won a Bachmann locomotive in a raffle.

There was also an old coach filled with books and old models for sale I think.

Always good to see more pictures of the smaller / industrial locos and cranes / diggers

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, these days, the only layout is used to display Sundew (the Model, not the horse).

Occasional models appear, there are some completed 'Superquick' buildings on the go at the mo, and the odd bits and pieces of track.

A few books, plenty of old mags inc a run of about 10 years worth of Modern Railways, 1965-1975 if that sort of thing is of interest.

We are open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays throughout the year, although there will be nothing running 'til april.

We have lifted the Main Line for relaying and levelling (it was a bit of a Roller Coaster Ride before), but it will be fully reinstated by the end of March.

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010009.JPG.6bcb3056ad7abb62b445af1071fa5545.JPG

Riley (the dog) checking on alignment while his owner takes instruction

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010003.JPG.b170b9a37471ff7204d7871e4a9e4b22.JPG

The (curretly isolated ) end of the line complet with sighting board for levelling purposes.

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010013.JPG.51bd77266053a20204bcdb6be4675c83.JPG

Quiet times in the frost

Regards

Ian

• Like 5

Good to see progress at Rutland. It's a lovely place to watch trains on a summer's day. 

Is there any progress on the loop and platform at the northern end? Does the railway own much land beyond the current limit of operations? 

• RMweb Premium

No further progress at the moment on that part.

I believe that the Railway owns another couple of hundred yards of land beyond the current 'End of the Line', but at the moment we have other priorities.

Firstly relaying the Main Line to a reasonable standard, as it was beginning to look very dodgy.

New Loos are becoming a priority, which we are looking at doing over next winter, so possibly winter 2021/2 for the extension

2019_0524GranthamSteamFair2010024.JPG.96b5804c1fb65957547058469ff6677a.JPG

STR waits for the next load of passengers at the stops.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - will definitely come down to one of the running days. 

Personally I think a northern platform would add a lot to the family experience, not least because you have a great lineside picnic walk between both ends. But I fully appreciate all these things take volunteer time and money. It is a great attraction that deserves wider attention. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Running Days for this year have now been finalised

PUBLIC OPEN DAY SCHEDULE 2020

Sunday 5th April – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

12th April Easter Sunday - Museum Open Day, Easter Bunny Hunt & Take a trip on The Rutlander train

13th April Easter Monday - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train and Ironstone Quarry Railway Day and exhibition marking the 40th Anniversary of the closure of Corby and Glendon Ironstone Quarries, Northants

Sunday 3rd May - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train and Ironstone Quarry Railway Day

Sunday 10th May - Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday 17th May - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train

Whitsun Bank Holiday Sunday 24th May- Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train

Whitsun Bank Holiday Monday 25th May - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on the Rutlander train and Cement Quarry Railway Day and exhibition marking the 15th anniversary of the closure of the last quarry railway in the UK at Barrington Cement Plant, Cambs

Sunday 7th June – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday June 21st - Museum Open Day – Father’s Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train and diesel Driver for a Fiver (12.30 – 2pm)

Sunday 5th July – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday 19th July - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train

Sunday 2nd August – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday August 16th - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train

August Bank Holiday Sunday August 30th - Museum Open Day - Take a trip on The Rutlander train

August Bank Holiday Monday August 31st - Museum Open Day –Take a trip on the Rutlander train and Ironstone Quarry Railway Day and exhibition to mark 75th anniversary of liberation of Far Eastern Prisoners of War

Sunday 6th September – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday September 20th - Museum Open Day -Take a trip on The Rutlander train and Oxfordshire Ironstone Quarry Railway Day

Sunday 4th October – Museum Open Day – Diesel Driver for a Fiver

Sunday October 18th - Museum Gala Open Day –including exhibitions to mark the 50th anniversary of the closure of Nassington Ironstone Quarry and 40 years of the museum

Regards

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly the 14 has gone, I believe to the Forest of Dean.

Never say never, though!

How about some Sentinel Action as recompense

2019_0331GranthamSteamFair2010014.JPG.6d5aa1b033d89253b4ff4d7217cc2b6a.JPG

Jean awaiting Duty

2019_0423GranthamSteamFair2010015.JPG.42973b1a263fc8c827d762f2eada7d9b.JPG

Running one of the first rafts of empties up to the quarry on a quarry working day.

2019_0525GranthamSteamFair2010011.JPG.caed1cd6c6535f1df82369ff5e794709.JPG

Jean, again, acting as Quarry Shunter, with Trevor driving.

Regards

Ian

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Due to the current Health Situation, Rocks By Rail will be closed to visitors until at least the end of April.

Although none of our volunteers are infected, and there seem to be no cases within the County of Rutland, the decision has been taken to cancel our operating days and general open days.

As a small Museum operation, we rely on our volunteers, most of whom, by virtue of their vintage fall into the 'High Risk' category.

I hope that this news does not inconvenience anyone planning a visit in  the next few weeks, however we do have to recognise the restrictions that the current Covid-19 situation imposes for all of us.

Stay Safe

Regards

Ian

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

When the Museum was first established back in 1980, as ever, money was tight (and still is).

Track was laid, but no real sub base was installed, and what ballast there was, was pretty much cosmetic, rather than functional.

The decision was taken at the end of last season to relay the main line, as it was starting to resemble a roller coaster.

Lifting was quite rapid, but then the weather changed and days and days of constant rain slowed the work down.

In fact, we had to lay an additional drain over about 150 yards, just to take some of the water away, and improve the ground conditions.

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010005.JPG.428e9aea0ae1b69a41eb9b879cb41688.JPG

Then the corona shutdown. I think that we had about three or four good working days before Covid 19 hit. Since then, although the museum has been closed, a small band of volunteers have been making slow progress while working at a safe distance from each other.

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010012.JPG.c59a3aa0bde05eea78181c62af238fa5.JPG

In fact, there were only 2 Men and 1 Dog on track laying.

Since I was furloughed from my job last week, I have managed to add an extra dog and an extra pair of hands to the mix.

Not sure if that has speeded things up, or slowed them down! But at least I make a mean cup of tea.

Otherwise, quite a few of our volunteers are either self-isolating, or fall into the vulnerable category and are staying away. I can't blame them, but it can be a bit peaceful down here .

2020_0123GranthamSteamFair2010013.JPG.8ed6a0eea428f15044c726034a69c9bc.JPG

Peaceful scene!

Getting back to normal is still some time away, but, like many other Heritage Railways ( and other tourist attractions) work is still going on behind the scenes to make sure that we are ready for the lifting of the lockdown.

sunrise.jpg.57e1b888abe955e608358b2208b10728.jpg

Preparing for a running day.

Regards & stay safe.

Ian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Part of the itinerary at  the Museumfor this year included commemorating the end of Ironston Quarrying in 1980 at Corby, and the final trains leaving Glendon Quarry (Northants) at the very beginning of the 80's.

GLENDON IRONSTONE QUARRIES REMEMBERED

Forty years ago this month the last workers employed at the Glendon Ironstone quarries in Northamptonshire were sent home for the last time. The extraction of ironstone at the quarries ceased in late December 1979 but the staff were kept on for a few months to help with the close down programme.

217424934_QuarryworkersGlendonS.jpg.18d3d94d79ebfd0c6aaea09cbce5249e.jpg

In the early years working was carried out by hand. Five quarry workers are
pictured at Glendon . Photo Courtesy T & D Smith

Barford East Quarry closed on 8 th December 1979 leaving locomotive No 25 (ex D9523) the final task of moving the last 654 tons on ironstone loaded into 31 wagons from Geddington Quarry face on the last day of December 1979. This movement brought to an end a rich history of the longest working ironstone quarrying area in the East Midlands.

The first workings carried out by the Glendon Iron Co started production in 1863 on land leased from the Glendon Hall estate being located south west of the Midland Railway mainline. Further extensive land leases followed whilst a blast furnace was established at Finedon in 1866. The Glendon Iron Co was dissolved in 1885 but in the following year a reconstructed company took over but only operated until it failed in 1891.

James Pain Ltd took over in 1892 with the company obtaining further land  leases which saw the expansion of operations encompassing the enlargement of the mineral quarry railways, modernisation with new steam locomotives on the tramways and the introduction of steam powered excavators.

The three distinct ironstone quarrying areas at Glendon were bisected by the Kettering to Market Harborough/Corby mainline railway and operated independently of each other.

GLENDON NORTH

Quarry land at Glendon North, not far from the MR railway, was worked on a modest scale from the very early years but under James Pain Ltd control standard gauge sidings and quarry locomotive shed were built to provide accommodation for the smaller steam saddletanks favoured by the company. Three steam locomotives are known to have worked on the quarry lines under James Pain’s ownership – namely:

2136926284_FoxWalkerlocoGLENDONS.jpg.eecf7a3c17a265616a86bf5fdfb99b7f.jpg

An early photo of the first quarry loco named GLENDON built by Fox
Walker of Bristol in 1876. Photo Courtesy T & D Smith

GLENDON (built by Fox Walker),

FORWARD (a larger 0-6-0st) and

ROTHWELL.

Post-World War 1 the economic recession saw the ironstone workings temporarily cease operation but in 1928 James Pain Ltd was taken over by the Stanton Ironworks Company (SIC). Rather than re-open their own Rothwell Hill pits the SIC elected to re-open Glendon and transferred men and quarry machines to the revitalised quarry workings. Locomotive GLENDON was replaced by

595621224_PeckettIRONSTONES.jpg.e09ea2f742eb06b08c643e2b1c842950.jpg

Peckett 0-4-0st named IRONSTONE replaced loco GLENDON in 1928
when it was transferred from Market Overton Quarries in Rutland

Ironstone production at Glendon ceased again in 1931 with the locomotives and quarry machinery dispersed to other workings. The Quarry did not re-open until 1941 due to the increased demand for iron and steel during World War 2. The quarry reserves under thin cover were worked and ore loaded into wagons by a Ruston Bucyrus 55RB dragline.

1125768082_dieseldraglinestrippingoverburdenatGlendonNorthS.jpg.ba92bd3ecbd090061c97ff520ff85ee8.jpg

Ruston Bucyrus 55RB dragline removing overburden in Glendon North Pit
in 1950 S&L/BSC

In December 1941 a brand-new locomotive was supplied through the government’s Ministry of Supply to work the quarry trains. This locomotive named SWORDFISH, built by Andrew Barclay, worked all of the rail traffic unaided. In later years the excavated ironstone was consigned by rail to Lancashire Steel and Wellingborough Ironworks until closure of this set of workings in February 1957.

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Photos & Captions added
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Last visited 2017, was looking forward to returning this year, will wait & see what happens. 

All the best.

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is still very early days regarding the lifting of the lockdown, but we have been discussing the possibility of an August Bank Holiday weekend opening.

I will keep everyone posted.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, fezza said:

More than two months on is there any news? 

Trustees Meeting last week, and although there were a couple of trustees all in favour of opening, it was pointed out that there were no volunteers willing to put their lives, and those of their nearest and dearest on the line when it comes to the General Public. Said Trustees were less than willing to put theirs on the line, either.

Sadly, it looks like it will be Easter next Year before we re-open.

2020_0304GranthamSteamFair2010020.JPG.cbc85372fe448f945101e15882318e41.JPG

Locked Down Wheels!!

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Fair enough Ian thanks for the update. 

Rutland does seem to have fewer cases than anywhere in the world though and everything else here is open... I guess people just have different views on risk. 

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We should have been coming to the end of our 40th anniversary year soon, but due to Lockdown rules we haven't been able to celebrate it.

Instead, our Curator, David Atkinson has been busy scouring the archives for material.

Most of this will have been on Faceache, but I thought that I would include it here for information.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium

FORTY YEARS ON AT THE MUSEUM

When planning our 2020 events programme for the museum we were planning to mark 40 years at the museum through a new exhibition for visitors within the Sundew Building. With the Museum still closed to visitors whilst we work hard on the recovery of stalled infrastructure projects caused by the pandemic lockdown and restrictions we have decided to share some images of our past periodically over the next few posts as an alternative to a new display. 

IN THE BEGINNING ……

In 1979 some 6 acres of former derelict railway land at the eastern end of the Cottesmore Mineral Branch was purchased from the British Rail Property Board to accommodate a growing collection of industrial locos and rolling stock that had been assembled at nearby Market Overton in Rutland. Having obtained planning consent volunteers steadfastly set about modifying their new home ready to accept the items to be transferred. Firstly a new access into the site had to be created from the public highway to be followed by the construction of a ramp to replace the steep gradient at the end of the original cutting which once acted as an empty wagon siding for the operation of the former iron ore tipping dock. The deposit of some 600 tons of quarry overburden effectively produced a ramped access from the public highway onto the route of the old railway. Using the route of the old wagon siding as an access road a start was made on tracklaying near the old tipping dock using sleepers and rail brought over from Market Overton. By the start of 1980 construction of a short length of track allowed for the transfer of the first exhibits for the fledgling Rutland Railway Museum from the old site at Market Overton

703510424_Cottesmoresidingslookingsouthtowardsroad.jpg.9e9da00aa418ec089e356375a11e83e7.jpg

A view from the former empty wagon siding at the end of the Cottesmore Mineral Branch looking South towards the public highway in the far distance

948784948_Accessintositeunderconstruction.jpg.963633b71ed7f5d16ea9ff291094f54c.jpg

Tree removal and construction of new vehicular access to the site

534529476_Viewlookingnorthtakenfromtheoldoretippingdock.jpg.cfa37b9f214be134d6814a3c445db181.jpg

A view looking Northwards from the former Ore Tipping Dock. The regular bonfire was an inevitable consequence of the vegetation and tree clearance on the site in the early months.

1381303477_Firststeamdelivery-tractorcoaxesSINGAPOREoffthelowloaderathernewhome.jpg.3880fff81710d2fec78e67f74764a38b.jpg

After many hours of vegetation clearance and some early track laying, the first steam loco, 'Singapore' is coaxed off the low loader using  a tractor

More to follow.

Regards

Ian

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

FORTY YEARS ON AT THE MUSEUM

IN THE BEGINNING - 2

Forty years ago the volunteers were busy both clearing up at the Market Overton base whilst also clearing vegetation and track laying at the new replacement site at the former Cottesmore Iron Ore Mines Sidings. As the railhead expanded it was possible to transfer more of the collection by road from the former site. Having cleared much of the rampant vegetation from the central yard part of the site it quickly became apparent that we had some surface water drainage issues to overcome. A number of land drains entered the site from adjacent land and a proper outfall was needed into the field drain running down the side of the site. An ancient Dinkum digger was obtained to start digging the pipe runs to prevent the build-up of surface water in the yard area whilst in April 1980 steam returned to the site for the first time

1526316970_clearanceunderwayincentralyard(1).jpg.9201c5dce27354c1a58828e60a425fe0.jpg

1. The inevitable bonfires were still going disposing of cut vegetation as the railhead was
advanced and future yard area cleared which allowed further deliveries of rolling stock.

775219222_DeliveryofCP6onawetday.jpg.1d8b9209c2788e37095d259452a0dba1.jpg

2. The largest loco to be transferred was Hunslet Austerity “Coal Products No.6”. The surface
water drainage issues encountered at the time are self-evident from the photo . “CP6” as it was
known to museum volunteers left the museum in 2008 to be restored to working order by its new
owner when it was subsequently re-named “Lord Phil”.

160069989_finalprofileofdrainrunexcavation.jpg.aaba8fa1999aea100697222e400f1c6a.jpg

3. Whilst the Dinkum digger was able to rough out the surface water pipe ditch the final
profile had to be cleaned out by hand - often in world war 1 type conditions during the winter
months.

2121509957_jrsbuildingamanholeonthemaindrain.jpg.04d9b686b6c61ab953d0373cae39c89b.jpg

Along the alignment of the pipe run manhole inspection chambers were also constructed at
intervals.

519480909_teststeamingofSingaporeApril1980.jpg.c99489e0af4a8d540bc2747d4e6b5a3e.jpg

5 . Singapore undergoes its first steam test at its new home

More to follow.

Regards

Ian

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Time for some more.

After months of heavy work cutting down trees and track laying in early August 1980 the volunteers allowed themselves a very short respite from their labours. On the 2nd of August SINGAPORE was steamed and provided short brakevan rides for Members along the track that had been laid over the previous months.

At the end of that month museum volunteers were busy arranging and carrying out the transfer of plinthed Hunslet 50550 Class S& L No.24 from West Glebe Park in Corby to the Museum. The removal of the loco on a short length of track in the park was no mean feat and fortunately we had the services of our good friend Brian Freer who turned up with two restored vintage heavy recovery Army Scammell tractors and a winch. Having successfully loaded the loco onto the large low loader it was a relatively short journey to the museum at Cottesmore, but it made an unusual sight negotiating the narrow roads in historic Oakham.

Track work continued into the autumn creating siding space greatly aided by a Members ex S & L Lima 34 crane.

At the end of October former Woolsthorpe quarry loco SALMON returned to the East Midlands Orefield following purchase by a museum member from the NYMR. At the same time a small Barclay diesel,acquired by another member,  arrived at the museum from the Stillington in County Durham.

1624320179_FirstSingaporesteam2-8-80S.jpg.86e661dd7ad0fcb075b4b36c19b9acdc.jpg

1. The first steam up. SINGAPORE takes the Midland Railway brakevan slowly down what will become the main demonstration line at the museum site.

1212800349_24recoveryinCorbyusing2scamelltractors.jpg.fe391dba42893a4a87a42f8cbeba0e07.jpg

2. With the soon to be closed Corby Steelworks dominating the skyline two Scammel lorries are linked together as the loco is prepared for winching onto the bed of the low loader.

1201302484_24passingCountyMuseumS.jpg.f8f7757f4e58b483b9044bd4a5b923af.jpg

3.  Oil fired Hunslet No.24 on a low loader trundles through the streets of Oakham

2021882281_RRMlookingsoutheasttowardsyardS.jpg.d14b274bc682c5f2f5adfac0ffdb1594.jpg

4. General view looking south into the developing yard area.

1725446124_TracklayingwithLima34S.jpg.4a34ab7deeee2e3a6a7b267d46e3f25a.jpg

5 . Construction of the western wagon storage sidings at the museum using the LIMA 34 crane. The panels of the former Woolsthorpe Ironstone Quarry steam loco shed are temporarily stored in kit form on land behind the crane.

Regards

Ian

• Like 7