Bachmann OO Gauge Body Screws

cambo74

• RMweb Gold

Anybody know the size of these screws or where they can be obtained from in larger quantities .......

Not the Bachmann Spares Dept as they are vastly over priced, Im sure there must be someone out there who manufactures them .......

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Gold

If your problem is that the little so-and-sos are making breaks for the border or being sacrificed to the carpet monster, use a lump of Blutac or similar to hold them safely while they are removed from the model.  I also use Pound Shop superglue to fix things that may need to be removed again at a later date, such as loco bodies after maintenance.  It is good enough to hold the body in place and enable you to pick the loco up by the body, but can be easily bond-broken with a small screwdriver lever or even a pull with a firm grip.

There are different types of Bachmann screws, with different threads, depending on where they are to be used, which can be into tapped holes in the mazak chassis block, into plastic body parts, countersunk  or plain holes etc.  

16 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Anybody know the size of these screws or where they can be obtained from in larger quantities .......

Not the Bachmann Spares Dept as they are vastly over priced, Im sure there must be someone out there who manufactures them .......

Cheers

Ben

Try Screwfix/B&Q  - take a sample along . Occasionally come up for sale on eBay at inflated prices !!

Worth using a magnetic screwdriver when removing them ..

HTH

Given body screws are self tapped into plastic, or into fine tapped threads in mazak, I would be very careful getting a 'similar' screw. You might end up with stripped threads.

Old saying of buy cheap buy twice springs to mind. Just pay Bachmann for the correct screws and aviod wrecking your models!

• RMweb Gold

I bought a load from china, something ridiculous like 500 for a £5.

sizes are: 1.56 x 11mm and 1.7 x 8 mm

heres the 47/37/66 screw, next to the China sourced one

6D06F42A-EFA9-49D0-A46A-E49798F918A9.jpeg.5961353d3d30cdb3f3a8d3500c45c222.jpeg

Bachmann here..
51012577-B6F7-4520-AEB6-FCA71DFB9858.jpeg.916ed3849874a79a1d27ab749b2c11b6.jpeg

from china here...

2DFA72A8-C346-4A07-9C66-918032E2B977.jpeg.6eca6c6b98c2300fec4ff8294f8259f7.jpeg

Length

8DAEF1B0-6972-4DD9-8068-D1EBE5DE9645.jpeg.f02269b426cf57879204297792b06094.jpeg

edit: £1.25 a bag for 100, I picked a couple of sizes (screws this size always are useful)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M1-2-1-7-PM-Electric-Tiny-Micro-Screws-For-PC-Laptop-Fan-Glass-Ni-Plated/183585515794?hash=item2abe8ca912:m:mLXTWTZLfCuOFHjLpjxVIYw

m1.6 x 10 and m1.6 x 12  I believe is the ones I ordered, but a £1 odd a bag, it makes sense to get a few different sizes/ lengths.

F5DE998F-1892-4B78-ACD1-16523A25B9DF.jpeg

I did try some of those multi-size packs of 1000 screws out there, for sunglasses, at £3 odd your not risking much, they can be useful but are generally too small for loco bodys.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Some great in-depth findings there! :good_mini:

I too have previously tried to buy screws from Bachmann and taken aback at the cost, plus postage, so this sounds a good idea!

If I can add a ‘top-tip’ though, I too do bulk repaints/detailing (though purely for my own collection, got 9x ’47’s going through the infamous Workbench right now!) I dissemble each loco then allocate everything small off that one loco into an empty cocktail stick box with its new loco number allocated, great for keeping all the fiddly bits together while the larger pieces are getting painted and detailed! 

The only challenge is it’s great fun buying someone else’s disaster hulk for half price at a swap meet with lots of screws missing and so knowing the gen above will be most useful!!

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Country Park Models sell these in small zip bags ranging from 50p a pair upto a £1 sometimes £1.50 a pair depending on the size. You will have to do a lot of rooting through the box to find them some are marked up with the model they have come from. They have a stand at Stafford show this weekend but do other shows of course. Plus they do lots of other model spares too.

I got a load off them at Liverpool and Burnham last year for spares.

Cheers Paul

• Informative/Useful 1