Bachmann WD 2-8-0 Body Removal and Chipping?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I have a Bachmann WD 2-8-0 which i would like to chip.  Firstly I cannot work out how to remove the body from the chassis/motor.

Secondly I was planning on fitting a Guagemaster 21 Pin - is that OK or too big?

Thanks.

There is an online video of dismantling the Bachmann WD 2-8-0.

Three screws hold the body to the chassis. Remove the pony truck and the screw underneath nearest the buffers comes out, then the one in the centre of the bottom plate and finally the one nearest the tender lurking under the brake pull arm.  For the last one it is easiest to un-clip the arm. The cab handrails then need to be pulled out  of the holes in the chassis.

Finally part of the reversing gear pokes through the foot plate, so ensure this is passing through the slots as you remove the body.

As to the fitting of DCC is this the latest version with wires to the tender?

That’s strange as I bought a Bachmann WD via RMweb that had electric lamps added powered via a decoder. I’ve never taken the body off as I don’t want to disturb the wiring or fibre optic cable that power the lamps, but it must have a decoder inside the loco body.

On the older version of the model the boiler has a solid metal weight filling the boiler forward of the geared axle. Back from that is the cavity for the motor and gear box with very little space to spare.

I suspect the metal weight has been modified to make room for the fiber optics and decoder.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony Cane said:

But could you get a 21 pin decoder in the space as was the original question?

21 pin has no wires, so no I wouldn't even try . You could solder wires to the 21 pin decoder pcb if you were very careful, there would be space to fit it physically, the old Lenz Standard I originally used was quite big and I now have a Loksound V4 in there .....

or use a Gaugemaster decoder for that matter when you can get a Zimo MX600 for 20 quid

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 09:03, Tony Cane said:

On the older version of the model the boiler has a solid metal weight filling the boiler forward of the geared axle. Back from that is the cavity for the motor and gear box with very little space to spare.

I suspect the metal weight has been modified to make room for the fiber optics and decoder.

On the original version of the model the weight has a wiring route through to the smoke box, in the form of a channel along the top. Why so? When looking at the smoke box end of the weight, there's a cast bracket which I would guess may have been intended to support a smoke unit. (Removing the weight is a doddle, once the boiler is off the footplate, undo the two underside screws holding the weight in place, pull the smokebox off and the weight slides out the front end. Repacking the void with lead makes this model a far more potent hauler.)

• RMweb Premium

Thank you all.  Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

I'm certain that this is the earlier version and thus not DCC ready - there aren't wires going to the tender.