Which sound for Heljan Class 33

Geep7

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but, as the thread title asks, which sound project is the best for the Heljan Class 33? In my case, i'm not too worried about the number of functions, but which is the best overall sound.

I'm currently debating either the Howes or DC Kits/Legomanbiffo ones, but can't decide which one sounds more like a Class 33, especially at idle (it must be over 20 years since I've actually seen/heard one on the mainline so memory is fuzzy).

Just some thoughts from those of you out there that have experience of either sound project would be good.

7 hours ago, Geep7 said:

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but, as the thread title asks, which sound project is the best for the Heljan Class 33? In my case, i'm not too worried about the number of functions, but which is the best overall sound.

I'm currently debating either the Howes or DC Kits/Legomanbiffo ones, but can't decide which one sounds more like a Class 33, especially at idle (it must be over 20 years since I've actually seen/heard one on the mainline so memory is fuzzy).

Just some thoughts from those of you out there that have experience of either sound project would be good.

Not sure of the Howes project but I imagine it will be quite dated as they haven't updated it much if at all unless someone knows better .

The Legomanbiffo version is much better IMO though I don't particularly like the idling sound but that's just me .

Jamie Goodman did one recently which is good but not perfect so I  would get onto YouTube and listen to what's on offer before you make a decision .

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Albie the plumber said:

Not sure of the Howes project but I imagine it will be quite dated as they haven't updated it much if at all unless someone knows better .

The Legomanbiffo version is much better IMO though I don't particularly like the idling sound but that's just me .

Jamie Goodman did one recently which is good but not perfect so I  would get onto YouTube and listen to what's on offer before you make a decision .

Thanks. Yeah, I've been having a look on YouTube, both models and the real thing, which is why I'm in such a quandary.... I'm not sure with the idle on the Legomanbiffo either, which led me to asking the question, as otherwise it sounds pretty good.

I have both Howes (on LokSound v3.5) and Legomanbiffo (on LokSound v3.5 and v4). I like both, although I would rate the Legomanbiffo sounds slightly ahead of the Howes, but it is good to have variations on the sounds too, as not all locos sounded identical, especially at idle. I also have a Digitrains class 33 on a Zimo decoder and that is different again, with a nice rough, rolling idle, but not quite so good on the thrash sounds.

I have a few videos (some quite old) but these two will give some idea of the differences in sound (remembering that the v3.5 has a more restricted choice of speakers, which affect the overall quality of sound too).

Howes sound:

Legomanbiffo sound:

Zimo/Digitrains sound:

Edited by SRman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all for your help. And its allowed me to make a decision which I think I'm happy with.

Is there any difference between the sound of a Class 33/0, the Class 33/1 and the Class 33/2?

The Legoman sound is advertised as Class 33 Push-Pull which I would assume that it was for the 33/1, whereas the Jamie Goodman and possibly overs are listed as Class 33.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AeBor said:

Is there any difference between the sound of a Class 33/0, the Class 33/1 and the Class 33/2?

The Legoman sound is advertised as Class 33 Push-Pull which I would assume that it was for the 33/1, whereas the Jamie Goodman and possibly overs are listed as Class 33.

All the Class 33's had the same engine. The reason the Legomanbiffo is marked as for the 33/1 is that it has a couple of functions specifically to work with the 4-TC sets. But you can still use it in a 33/0 or 33/2

• Thanks 1

I have 4 Hellfire class 33s with Howes sound ESU V4 with speakers in the tanks. I actually run the double headed and they are amazing.. It really annoyed the EX wife downstairs from the loft. (Still cant work out why we got divorced ?? )

Edited by 40034_Nick
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I eventually went for the Legomanbiffo version to start with. It really sounds great, even with just the sugar-cube speaker fitted. I will get round to fitting a new fuel tank enclosure and speaker when I have time, but happy with it for now.

I might try the Howes one next. As mentioned above, they all wouldn't have sounded exactly the same, so slight variations would be good.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2020 at 11:32, Geep7 said:

I eventually went for the Legomanbiffo version to start with. It really sounds great, even with just the sugar-cube speaker fitted. I will get round to fitting a new fuel tank enclosure and speaker when I have time, but happy with it for now.

I might try the Howes one next. As mentioned above, they all wouldn't have sounded exactly the same, so slight variations would be good.

If you want to run Locos double headed as i do with loads of mine you might want to take into consideration the different sound producers pull of times will be different which isnt good for both locos.

If you get 2 LegomanBiffo decoders you can offset the sound with a Lokprogrammer on Sound slot 1. Min and Max sound speed plus and minus a couple of percent on one loco which makes them tick over different...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 40034_Nick said:

If you want to run Locos double headed as i do with loads of mine you might want to take into consideration the different sound producers pull of times will be different which isnt good for both locos.

If you get 2 LegomanBiffo decoders you can offset the sound with a Lokprogrammer on Sound slot 1. Min and Max sound speed plus and minus a couple of percent on one loco which makes them tick over different...

On my small branch terminus layout, double heading is unlikely to happen, but thank you for the advice. It's good to bear in mind for the future though.

On 04/02/2020 at 16:22, AeBor said:

On 04/02/2020 at 16:35, Geep7 said:

All the Class 33's had the same engine. The reason the Legomanbiffo is marked as for the 33/1 is that it has a couple of functions specifically to work with the 4-TC sets. But you can still use it in a 33/0 or 33/2

When working with 4TCs the eth on the 33 is on to supply the MG sets on the unit(s) even when heating itself is not required.  When the eth is on the engine idle speed is higher and when power is taken the engine revs briefly drop before picking up again.  Possibly a bit of a sound equivalent to rivet counting but quite a distinctive feature of a 33 and always present when working TCs.

Edited by DY444
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1