Stokes Sidings

Welcome to the first build thread I have ever done on Rmweb.

I  have recently sold off most of my 00 collection clearing the way for my 0 scale inglenook to be built where my main 00 circuit was.

A recent offer in BRM for a discounted laser cut baseboard by scalemodelscenery gave me the idea to do a micro layout that I can work on in the living room and still keep some of my 00 stock. I kept hold of one of my 08 locos and a handful of wagons.

Building the baseboard was really easy and was literally a 15 min job. It was left for the glue to dry overnight. Track was laid this morning. For now ive reused a couple of insulfrog points that were lifted from the previous layout but may replace these for electrofrogs before ballasting. The DCC decoder has been removed from the 08 and the temporary controller is a Hornby cheap unit which will be replaced with a guagemaster combi as funds allow but the tracks been tested and it all works fine. A couple of my sons 0-4-0ST smokey joe type locos were also used to test. Thomas the tank also paid a visit. The 0-4-0ST juddered over the points hence the thoughts of changing to electrofrogs as id like a little 0-4-0 peckett or a 48DS shunter.

Ive reused a couple of low relief factory units and some of the retaining walling. Ill get more walling to fill the gap up to the factory.

So that's it for now im working on this layout and the 0 scale one at the same time

20200131_144449.jpg

20200131_144500.jpg

20200131_144510.jpg

20200131_144514.jpg

20200131_144536.jpg

20200131_144544.jpg

Edited by meatloaf
  • Like 7

Looks good - can't go wrong with an inglenook layout and Metcalfe buildings! My only concern is you might find the headshunt is a bit short when you're operating the puzzle, but that can add to the challenge. I'm interested to see what you'll do with the rest of the scenics on this model.

9 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Looks good - can't go wrong with an inglenook layout and Metcalfe buildings! My only concern is you might find the headshunt is a bit short when you're operating the puzzle, but that can add to the challenge. I'm interested to see what you'll do with the rest of the scenics on this model.

Yeah with the 08 it could do with an extra inch or so on the headshunt so when I replace the points ill move them along slightly. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 11:38, TechnicArrow said:

Done a bit more over the past few days. My lad spent a good half hour shunting stuff about using my 08 and a few of his tank engines.  All seemed to run ok so decided to stick with the insulfrogs.

Track has been ballasted with ballast magic but after hoovering up the excess after drying its left a few bald patches that need touching up.

Peco backscene has been purchased ill have to try and cover the join somehow.  

Im going to take the buffer away from the headshunt and use a sleeper across the rail as a buffer stop gives me just enough space then for 3 wagons.

Need another retaining wall kit for the backdrop.

The road needs doing at the front of the layout, along with some fencing.

And I need to find a box to store it in.

IMG-20200202-WA0002.jpg

20200202_132556.jpg

20200203_142018.jpg

20200203_142024.jpg

20200203_142028.jpg

• Like 2

Flurry of stuff done the last few days. Buildings glued in place and changed the metcalfe walls for some ration stuff I had lying about which saved the need to buy another metcalfe kit. Ive put  a small embankment at the front of the layout. The embankment is formed from plasticine which is then painted with a mix of brown paint and pva glue and then several shades of scatter were mixed toghether and sprinkled on top. Peco fencing was then inserted into the embankment. Vegetation has been planted alongside the fencing and the road. Static grass has been used along the base of buildings / retaining wall to bed them in and ive put some in between the rails at the end of the sidings.

All in all im pretty pleased with how its turned out so far. I may put a yard crane at the back by the factory, not sure yet.

Obviously my modelling isn't as good as a lot of the layouts I see on here but its been a fun project to work on so far.

Loco wise ive ordered a Hornby set from asda for £25 with a small Hornby 0-4-0 in it which is a perfect size for this layout.

20200207_191901.jpg

20200207_191905.jpg

20200207_191908.jpg

20200207_191914.jpg

20200207_191918.jpg

20200207_191923.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1