Hattons Class 66 and TTS Sound

70E

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has fitted a TTS class 66 decoder to their Hattons class 66 and if so was it ok, straight forward etc? I know a six function decoder is required and the TTS is 3 function so what are the ones that are lost?

Thanks

TTS is limited to basic directional lighting on white and yellow wires F0 and an Aux function on the green wire F25.

Hattons 66 according to here https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=288 uses a 21 pin decoder and has provision for additional lighting variation by way of switches. Also has space for a specific passive radiator speaker.

Edited by RAF96
Added speaker details

• RMweb Gold

You will also need an 8-21 pin adaptor, or to hardwire the decoder. 

I think with the number of lighting options available, the Hattons 66 deserves a "full-fat" sound decoder. My son has got TTS in both a Hornby and a Bachmann 66 and thats more than adequate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...

Revisiting this,  not for eliciting views on the quality of TTS etc, but purely to establish if anyone has actually used the 66 tts chip in the Hattons model?

I have a sizable fleet of the H66s and looking to economically fit sound to a few of the dcc ready versions I have (after using the 8 to 21 pin adaptor) I will be happy to get basic light functions, Forward and reverse.

Anyone tried this yet?

5 hours ago, Johnfromoz said:

Revisiting this,  not for eliciting views on the quality of TTS etc, but purely to establish if anyone has actually used the 66 tts chip in the Hattons model?

I have a sizable fleet of the H66s and looking to economically fit sound to a few of the dcc ready versions I have (after using the 8 to 21 pin adaptor) I will be happy to get basic light functions, Forward and reverse.

Anyone tried this yet?

The Hornby TTS decoder is 8 Ohms, thus you cannot fit a good speaker into the loco, all you will get in the tinny sounds that these 50P speakers produce.

Seems a shame on the cracking loco.

Charlie

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

I'm not sure what the switches might allow but the front and rear lights use aux1, 2, 3 and 4, this is a problem because TTS only has Aux1. Someone may be able to suggest a way to get extra lights to come on by using the switches but if not then you would have directional marker lights and maybe a tail light at one end controlled by F25.

Richard

Thanks Richard,  as I suspected, not even sure the basic directional lighting would work properly with TTS.

to the other respondants; you’ve. missed the point entirely!  I have 15 Hattons 66s, 6 with factory sound. Was just wanting to add further sound to the fleet economically. Fully aware of the limitations of TTS.   Hey ho. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, gooderz said:

Buying a Hattons 66 and putting a TTS sound decoder in it is like buying a Bentley and putting a 1970s Skoda engine in it

Better option than no engine, anyway there's quite a few VAG* bits in Bentleys!

*I know they're not called that any more.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1

On 26/11/2020 at 18:20, gooderz said:

Buying a Hattons 66 and putting a TTS sound decoder in it is like buying a Bentley and putting a 1970s Skoda engine in it

Your opinion, others may have different views.  His model, his choice.  If he likes TTS, so be it.

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Agree 1