Colourlights with subsidiary

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there are manufacturers that do a three aspect signal with a subsidiary aspect? 

As it's for a 60s layout a miniature yellow may be better than two whites.

I think eckon used to do them as kits which I imagine would be a bit of a pain to build but can't see anything listed anywhere 

I guess the only way to know is to ask.  

Obviously Berko do a range of round topped signals including various different three aspect configurations, but I can't see any that have a Subsidiary Signal.  I'm assuming that you are looking for something like this, but with a position light below (which this doesn't have).

http://onlinemodelsltd.co.uk/product/3-aspect-ryg-platform-round-head/

I understand that the signal heads in the Berko range are over scale.

• RMweb Premium

CR signals do 2 aspect searchlights with a white post. I made mine own some time back and used a bi-colour LED but would now use SMD ones as I have since done for 2mm, CR also use SMD's.  Although I have fitted a PL it's none working as I added it as an afterthought and couldn't find small enough SMD's to use for it at the time.  I don't think there are tri-colour SMD's, but I am probably wrong, but getting small enough ones might be the issue if they do exist. I am not sure of the size of the Train tech ones. They seem a bit 'clunky' to me, more so than the Berko I feel.

The Absolute ones would probably be the nicest and more to scale, but are not cheap.....

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2020 at 12:21, russ p said:

I take it three aspect searchlight need quite a complex controller for tri colour LEDs

I would expect that to be the case, but much depends on the form the tri-colour LED takes.  There are several different arrangements, and my previous comments re tri-colour SMD's were really about getting the right type with decent colours in small numbers for individual use. Although bi-colour LED's are quite common, red/green aren't so much as other colour combinations, and this is more so with SMD's. These bi-colours are two separate LED's in one package with a common anode or cathode. So control is simple via a SPST switch.

Tri-colour LED's can be red/green as above, but the 'third' colour is made from both being lit together. So a yellow which might veer towards orange depending on the actual colour wavelength of the red/green. Another type is RGB, red/green/blue ( the primary colours), from which any actual colour can be produced, ( often quoted as 16.7m shades). This is what I think you mean. All three together will produce white light. Both of these need more complicated control.

But, there are tri-colour LED's around, and now SMD's it seems, that have individual LED's with separate control, like the bi-colours. In this case just using two SPST's ganged together, as you can for separate 3-Aspect LED signals would be possible. But.... again it's finding ones sold in small numbers at a reasonable price, at the size needed, and with usable colours....

Izzy

• Informative/Useful 1