Class 55 Deltic diagrams

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering once steam had vanished from the ECML and TOPS was starting to appear, is it fair to say the Class 55’s were basically confined to the London Kings Cross, Leeds, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh portions of the ECML.  I did read somewhere that they appeared at Aberdeen on one working per day and something similar into Glasgow Queen Street though leaving the station and going up Cowlairs tunnel must have been a nightmare.

Did they also work into Lincoln, Bradford, Hull or Scarborough on regular basis?  I’m not interested in their wandering in later life over the Trans Pennine route etc.

It wasn't unknown for a Deltic to be used to take the Harrogate portion of a Kings Cross train (3 or 4 coaches, from memory) out of Leeds. I lived in Harrogate for a short time in 1976, and had Deltic haulage a couple of times, when returning from London. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Can't remember if Chronicles of Napier has actual diagrams but there may be enough info for you.

'Timetables' has WTT info, by year, of trains scheduled for (or likely to produce) Deltics.

If you click on 'Locomotive moves', pick the year, then the loco, you can view a list of known workings/works visits etc.

Clicking on 'Locomotives' gives you a potted history for each loco

http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/menu.htm

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I lived in Harrogate from 1965 to 1968, within sight of the line from the south.

Deltics were not uncommon on the Harrogate portions of London trains.

There are about 4 photos in my album "Railways around Harrogate" (link below) on my flickr site (as well as in my thread here if you look for them).  Both Dad and I saw more than we photographed, but film was expensive then.

Railways around Harrogate 1965 - 1968

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I used to see them regularly in Bradford Exchange, particularly on the early morning Bradford Executive which avoided Leeds using Wortley West & South Junctions.   Most of the other London services to Bradford reversed in Leeds and tended to get another Holbeck loco dropped onto the eastern end rather than the incoming loco run round, so they were more likely to be a 47 or 31/4.

Martin

• Like 1