“BEYOND DOVER”

Northroader

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

AZULEJOS POR SÃO LUCAS.

A bit more has happened with the station building. It started off with a 12mm ply base, then a 5mm foamboard shell. Now I’ve covered it with a thick cartridge paper, to give it some more texture, and then a wash in white acrylic paint. One very noteworthy feature of a lot of Portuguese buildings is the use of glazed tiles, commonly white with a blue design, but you san see them in other colours. I gather it’s a centuries old cultural tradition, and many railway stations use it. The larger stations can have murals of quite heroic proportions, such as the concourse at Porto São Bento:

IMG_0434.jpeg.59c0a7d78fccc08ed98e4a119344de20.jpegIMG_0432.jpeg.9c5b8ee4e983880202b5db47541ce639.jpeg

The second panel on a railway theme is interesting, as it shows Portuguese railways also used the large block bells. (See page 17) Of course, my station is too small and simple for the big designs, just having tiled panels on the lower part of the wall. I did a download of a repetitive pattern, and printed it with a reduction of 50%. The tiles come out too big with this, really it needed 75% reduction, but I found the print lost definition and became too blurred, so I’m using oversize tiles. A good tip would be to print your tiles, then design the building to fit, I was really lucky that the pattern came right for the panel sizes. The tiles were cut to size and stuck in place with UHU, and then got two coats of satin varnish. A shiny finish gives them a better look, but I find anything done on my printer always suffers from the ink fading, and I feel the varnish will help protect this. The building has raised strips round the corners and the doors, I used some card to do this, painted a sort of peachy colour mixed in acrylic, and a bit of Miliput filler under the door arches.

IMG_0435.jpeg.b53574927b71851bce81bfdbef7d6316.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

PANTILES.

(watch the spell checker carefully, there’s a tendency to drop the “l”, with unfortunate consequences)

You can meet up with pantile roofs in places like Somerset, but they do tend to be associated with the warmer, sunnier climes over the Channel. I’ve been sitting on a couple of sheets for ages, with doing a French station roof in mind, but the station for São Lucas has come up, and they’ve come in for this.

IMG_0454.jpeg.04b8289d8ed91d1fb7bfab8bc4f5b1ba.jpeg

The roof has a base of 2mm ply glued down onto the walls, then a pyramid of ply built up with more strips of ply forming an infill from the edge to halfway up the pyramid. This gives a firm support to overlaying sheets of pantiles. Slaters do flat plastikard sheets which are embossed, but the sheets I’m using give a good relief representation, which is why I went for them. They’re done by a Spanish firm, Redutex, and I thought they were quite pricey before Brexit, now……!!!, and they’re not particularly large either. The plastic is quite soft and floppy, so although I’ve scored the back of the sheet along the change of angle, they still tend to look like a curve. One item needing care is that they’re self adhesive, but when the backing paper is peeled off, the thin adhesive sheet underneath can come up with it, rather than stay with the tiles. I’ve found that the mould they're made from must have air bubbles, there’s tiny little pinheads on the surface which need to be scraped off. My design of roof is quite wasteful, because all the diagonals mean that offcuts can only be thrown away, with all the tiles overlapping in a downward direction only. Now if I’d have gone for a station which didn’t have a hipped roof, but had a low pitch with square ends, the sheets would have gone further. In HO scale Wills do pantile sheets which have a relief finish, and before now I have done a design in the Continental Modeller for an Italian station built round Wills sheet dimensions. I should really have learnt from that, now I’m waiting for postie to arrive with another sheet, as two weren’t sufficient.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very effective that Pantile roof, nice to see it on a well modelled building. I'll be needing some for a French model, but as you say... Ouch as to the.cost.

This house on an extension uses pantiles , as do many houses in Norfolk and Suffolk, . This house mainly French tiles , also available from Redutex.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive. It's not too bad for N gauge as sheets are the same size so go almost twice as far! 

I'm lucky that the station I'm modelling doesn't need Redutex sheets, the tiles are flat enough I can probably get away with strips of paper. The rest of the building will be awkward enough to construct though!

spacer.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice building, without looking it up, it looks like an Austrian design and with a FS logo. Tyrol?? 
And a quick Google…. So it is, looks like an interesting prototype you’ve got there:

IMG_0461.jpeg.1e3dca33d2a3384586d68fc46646c69c.jpegIMG_0460.jpeg.d94b714ee338b21931cd26af1d928827.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

SWEDISH RAILWAY SETTING.

IMG_0504.jpeg.6b1f70a9bc7f747166ee190416d1cf30.jpeg

I have to thank @Schooner of this parish, for alerting me to this shot. Just occasionally you get a totally formed picture that you can damn near do a complete model from, and I think this is one. A railway pier linking into a ferry service in 1880, in this case somewhere up the Gulf of Bothnia, that leg of the Baltic up between Sweden and Finland. A setting a bit like Tollesbury Pier in Essex, or Bantry Pier in County Cork. Statens Järnvägar, Swedish State Railways, had a very good selection of Beyer Peacock locomotives in their fleet, and if you fancy doing some browsing, you’ll find quite an attractive system.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

Hahaha, fair! But it would fit in rather nicely with the rest of the family*...

4.jpg.1e227117aa684202e0d316d0bb635afa.j

Updates in 7mm due soon, though :)

Edited by Schooner
*Which I really must get round to finishing. Only one loco there without a jobs list, and that was made by someone else!
  • Like 7