NRM entrance

sir douglas

so i was just thinking about going to york since i havent been since 2013, but one bit on the website is puzzling me

"From 14 October 2019 all visitors will be welcomed through our main entrance and the Leeman Road entrance will no longer be in use"

https://www.railwaymuseum.org.uk/visit

what other entrance is there, you can only get to the NRM from Leeman road, is there something i'm missing?

Edited by sir douglas

• Moderators

The main entrance is the Station Hall side (nearest the station), the Leeman Road entrance is the original one adjacent to the Great Hall across the road from the car park.

• Agree 1

If coming from station be careful of the traffic in the cars parks as it can be mad at times, my other half (better half lol) wrote her car off the other year there while dropping me off.

Enjoy the day and don’t forget to do some spotting at the station. I’m heading that way in a couple of minutes lol.

33 minutes ago, 25901 said:

If coming from station be careful of the traffic in the cars parks as it can be mad at times, my other half (better half lol) wrote her car off the other year there while dropping me off.

Enjoy the day and don’t forget to do some spotting at the station. I’m heading that way in a couple of minutes lol.

Yeah, often some good stuff in the south sidings near the ROC.  And Pacers, get them whilst you can.

9 minutes ago, doilum said:

Are the large carparks still available?

They are but get quite busy with the Roc being up there now.  There is another car park also open further down Leeman Road past the old NRM entrance on the left hand side just before you go under the low bridge with the railway line on  top of it.

17 hours ago, Boris said:

They are but get quite busy with the Roc being up there now.  There is another car park also open further down Leeman Road past the old NRM entrance on the left hand side just before you go under the low bridge with the railway line on  top of it.

Thanks. A birthday visit is in the offing.  Might be a last chance to see it as it was.

The easiest and cheapest way to the NRM (and York in general) for us and many is the park and ride. Unfortunately that still drops off right outside the old entrance. So it’s a bit of a walk but most irritatingly you have to cross a very busy, fast road with no crossing. Given the number of families who visit perhaps moving the bus stop along and adding a crossing might be worth considering 

Then you have the bus dropping off on a blind bend on a junction which is already an accident blackspot.

The problem will solve itself once the York Central development starts, the road will go through what is now the road train terminus, be twice as long, deliberately designed to cause queues and reduce speeds, and with priority given to cyclists and pedestrians. All this whilst acknowledging that it will generate additional car journeys. You'll be able to have a picnic outside the old entrance though.

http://www.yorkcentral.info/2019/02/25/your-questions-answered-traffic-impact-and-parking-updated/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2