Modeling a salt marsh

BillH

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a go at modeling a salt-marsh like in the photo below? If so what techniques and materials did you use for the samphire  plants and the wet mud. 

Cheers

20180908_125537b.jpg

• Like 2

Great subject for a model!

The only layout I can think of with a successful depiction of a salt marsh is the O gauge "Tollesbury Quay" which has been at a few exhibitions over the last few years, and was apparently featured in Model Railway Journal issue 246 - I can't recall how thoroughly the technique was written up there though.

I might be mixing up two different layouts here, but is the layout where the tide goes in and out - using real water and aquarium pumps etc?

Featured in this video on YouTube (which focuses on the trains, but you can get some glimpses of the marsh at the back of the layout

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the YouTube link Justin1985 I will try to have a look at the relevant MRJ copy as a mate of mine gets them. Tollesbury is actually quite close to where the photo was taken, between Brightlingsea and St Osyth so quite appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 12:28, justin1985 said:

Great subject for a model!

The only layout I can think of with a successful depiction of a salt marsh is the O gauge "Tollesbury Quay" which has been at a few exhibitions over the last few years, and was apparently featured in Model Railway Journal issue 246 - I can't recall how thoroughly the technique was written up there though.

I might be mixing up two different layouts here, but is the layout where the tide goes in and out - using real water and aquarium pumps etc?

Featured in this video on YouTube (which focuses on the trains, but you can get some glimpses of the marsh at the back of the layout

As its my video if you check the railex 2017 exhibition forum post you find more pictures of this excellent layout

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2020 at 11:44, BillH said:

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a go at modeling a salt-marsh like in the photo below? If so what techniques and materials did you use for the samphire  plants and the wet mud. 

Cheers

20180908_125537b.jpg

Have a look at Geoff Taylor's Penmaenpool (https://www.geofftaylormodels.com/). The photos on his website don't seem to show it, but from memory (I think mid-2016 BRM articles) he modelled some marsh like that on it. I thought it was very effective when I saw it in the magazine. 

• Like 1

On 06/03/2020 at 01:34, FraserClarke said:

Have a look at Geoff Taylor's Penmaenpool (https://www.geofftaylormodels.com/). The photos on his website don't seem to show it, but from memory (I think mid-2016 BRM articles) he modelled some marsh like that on it. I thought it was very effective when I saw it in the magazine. 

Thanks, the link didn't work but I had a bit of a search using Peenmaenpool and Geoff Taylor and found several useful photos and info.