Radio control for coach lighting.

Dmudriver

Hi.

I operate a DCC controlled end to end  0 gauge layout.  I've recently been fitting lights (exterior and interior) to a couple of my single car DMUs.  As these are fitted with chips wiring up the lights and programming them has been relatively easy.  

However, I have a couple of 3- and 4-car units which have a chip in each outer power car.   I am looking to fit interior lights in those and to be able to switch them on and off (my layout features a terminus and storage sidings so I would switch the lights off when the units are running empty).  In the power cars I would use the chips but the trailer cars are what I am struggling with.  I could fit function-only chips to the trailer coaches but the best I can find cost around £15 to £20.  

One alternative is a physical switch somewhere on each coach but that would not always be easy to use due to the presence of buildings, etc.  (I would switch the lights off as the unit finishes its service in the platform, ready to shunt into the storage sidings.)  Another alternative is through wiring the lights: I have tried this in the past and it has not been too successful as the couplings in the wires can come apart or even snag on the track if the wires aren't held up firmly enough.

It has struck me that a radio control controller similar to those used to remotely control TVs, etc, might be the answer but I would just want one, maybe 2 functions (the latter if I separately light the guard's van).  I've had a look on Amazon and I cannot see any simple such controllers.  Then, obviously I'd need a receiver: the battery would probably be a 9V inside the coach somewhere.

So I've come on here to see if anyone might be able to advise me where to look - or if indeed such things as I'm looking for do exist!!!   There may also be alternative ways to remotely switch the lights on/off which I haven't thought of!!

With thanks in advance for any help.

Rod

If you set up RF, magnetic or infra red switching, you’ll need to power the lights

I’m guessing you’ll not want rechargeables in the coaches, so you’re going to either fit jumpers, or pickups

pickups add drag, and need cleaning - but see my PD thread, I opted for “American” pickups using live bogies, and “always on” lighting With a capacitor per coach to avoid flicker from poor pick-up.

Given you want lighting control, I’d have another look at jumpers and using your existing DCC decoders, as it’s the cheapest and probably simplest option, and all your lights are on the same switch too.

can you not disguise the wires as prototypical jumpers?

atb

Simon

Perhaps something like this,  if you can power them from the DCC on the track:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-RGBW-3528-5050-LED-Strip-Light-Tape-Light-IR-RF-Remote-Controller-Kit/192333291961?hash=item2cc7f521b9:m:ms1xbx2JHlzJimNINNOC7Mw

Similar items have been used for simple loco control, so they must be fairly adaptable.

A radio contol system would be rather more expensive unless you built your own.

Frank

On 02/02/2020 at 14:22, Dmudriver said:

However, I have a couple of 3- and 4-car units which have a chip in each outer power car.   I am looking to fit interior lights in those and to be able to switch them on and off (my layout features a terminus and storage sidings so I would switch the lights off when the units are running empty).  In the power cars I would use the chips but the trailer cars are what I am struggling with.  I could fit function-only chips to the trailer coaches but the best I can find cost around £15 to £20.  

I find it strange that function-onoy decoders are more expensive than standard ones.

So why not use ordinary ones?

• RMweb Premium

I have a car from Rapido that has the lights controlled by a magnetic switch. I just wave a wand over the roof and the lights go on or off. They are powered by those little hearing aid batteries.

Edited by BR60103

Hi all.

Thanks for your replies: my apologies for not responding to you sooner.

Robin2's suggestion is pretty much what I had in mind.  I'd power the lights with a battery - fitted to enable easy access for changing, although that should not be too often at all.  I need to look at the items a bit more closely, for size, etc but that looks positive.

Pete the Elaner - I'm using sound decoders as standard which are more expensive than the function-only ones: however, for just one set of lights (maybe 2) that seems to me to be a bit OTT.  Simon suggests using the existing chips and wiring them through.  Yes, I could, Simon, and I have one 3-car unit that's like that  - power in the front car and an extra speaker and marker lights in the rear car, wired underneath the centre car.  However, I find that there's a delicate balance between getting them too tight so that they split on curves, or too loose so that they can catch on pointwork.  Getting at them when they do come apart is a bit of a ****ache, so I want to avoid that again, if I can.

BR60103 - I've never heard of this.  Is it a modern model?  And do you know if they are available in the UK?

I've a bit of research to do now, so thanks again to you all for your suggestions:  I appreciate them.

Rod