Hornby Short NE grey brakevan 178595 R114/215

ColHut

G'day,

Just wondering if the above old brakevan was a cut down Toad E to fit a 16' over the headstock 10' wb chassis, or supposed to be vaguely based on a NE rly. design of which the shortest I could see had a 17' over headstock and 10'wb but with wooden duckets.

Someone may know from the running number?

regards

• RMweb Premium

I think it's something they made up in order to be able to use the body from the model of a BR Standard 20T brake van, to offer a more old-fashioned looking model.  As such, it is too short for any LNER built brake van.  No brake vans built prior to the existence of the LNER had pressed steel duckets to that design.

• Agree 1

To answer my own question, :blush: the answer was in my copy of Essery's British Goods Wagons which I was browsing for interest; 178595 is shown in a diagram as being a Toad E.  So indeed Hornby had just compacted it to fit the chassis.

No worries  though, close enough for a short ex-NE version of 10 tons and some appropriate transfers.

regards

What is interesting, is both Tri-ang Hornby and Bachmann have done the same thing.

Both have used the body from the BR standard goods brake van, itself based on the LNER design, on a short wheelbase goods brake van chassis to make an approximation of the short LNER goods brake vans.

To the extent that the same running number was used by both manufacturers on models!

The early 1950s - 1960s Tri-ang Railways goods brake van was also a short wheel base model.

Though based on a LMS design, the limitations of the heat printing tools did no easily allow for printing three letters, as the middle letter would be on the ducket, and so raised from the other two letters...

That's why early models were lettered N E, and not L M S.

The BR version ended up with a M prefix number though.

• Thanks 1