984443095_lswreaglesaloonletter.jpg.f2e8b7d33f11759bc59a8d14d8d36fdf.jpg

Hello all!

I've asked a couple of people privately about these vehicles, but so far haven't found anything concrete, and I was wondering if anyone had any further information or diagrams they could divulge? 

According to an article in the Railway Modeller from way back when, a handful of these LSW vehicles were reconstituted into sets with ex-SECR Birdcage coaches and ran on Bexhill West and Hastings services, which is ideal for me, but, as I say, I have no real visual information on these. 

Many thanks!

- Alex 

• Informative/Useful 1

Just a bit more on this matter, having corresponded with Mike King (email content reproduced with his consent) :

"[...] Both vehicles were gangwayed at each end, although some of the Eagle brake and kitchen brake cars only had a gangway at one end - presumably because they always ran at one end of the Plymouth boat expresses. Prior to Grouping these two coaches had been reduced to third class, but the Southern upgraded them back to first in July 1925 and they received numbers 7206/7 instead of their allocated third class numbers 648/49. At that time there was a chronic shortage of corridor stock on the South Eastern section, despite the rapid construction of nine 8-coach sets of "Thanet" stock in 1924/25 - but these were to route restriction 1, so were barred from the Tonbridge-Hastings line. For this route, at least three 3-coach corridor sets were formed about 1925, these being 389, 400 and 430. They were initially formed of two SECR "birdcage" corridor brakes with a Diagram 51 SECR corridor third between them, and set 389 seems to have always run in this form (coaches 6622, 966, 6627) until reformed as a "long" set of eight vehicles about 1935. Sets 400 and 430 ran respectively as 6623, 967, 6636 and 6629, 964, 6632. Most LSWR corridor coaches were to route restriction 2, so could not run on most of the South Eastern section, but the Eagle Express coaches were restriction 0.

However, both set 400 and 430 included coaches 7207 and 7206 respectively at various times (certainly in 1926) in place of the corridor thirds, for Bexhill West- London services. Set 430 eventually became a 5-set formed of 6629, 964, 7206, 7207, 6632 for Ore-London services (so listed in some 1926 carriage working notices - sometimes with a Pullman car included as well). By 1928 both sets had resumed their BCK, TK, BCK formation except that the third in set 400 was later 963. All six Diagram 51 thirds (SR nos 962-67) were in "long" set 389 from about 1935 onwards, which is where they remained until 1959. Sets 400/430 were deleted in about 1933 and the coaches either became loose vehicles or were distributed around several SECR "long" sets. I have seen just one picture of set 430 in the 5-coach formation during the 1920s. Both coaches 7206/7 were withdrawn in November 1933, but I am not sure in which set (if any) they were running by that date. They might still have been substituted in sets 400 and 430 as required until that time - I do not have a carriage working notice covering the period between 1931 and 1935."

So, quite a bit of chopping and changing, plenty of scope for modelling these interesting coaches! 

• Like 3