Shops in Burnley / Nelson area

Benno

Not sure if this is posted in right area, I have recently reignited my interest in model railways, Just a trip down memory lane regarding closed model rail shops in the Burnley and Nelson areas of Lancashire. I can remember several from the early seventies onwards, all these listed are now sadly closed.

The largest was Modelrail in Burnley

A D Models, Plumbe st Burnley

Windmill Models, St James st Burnley

Benns Toyshop, St James st Burnley

The Model shop, Railway st Nelson.

I can vaguely remember a shop in Scotland Road/ Bradley road junction Nelson, near the old swimming baths, it had a layout in a side window that you could operate by inserting a coin.

If my memory serves me correctly, I can remember a shop in Burnley road, Colne called Railway Mania. I would be very interested if anyone has any memories or pictures of any of these retailers.

On a brighter note a couple of new ones have opened which appear well stocked and knowledgeable.

Hi Benno,

The model shop I first remember as a child was Webster's in Burnley. I think it was on Cannon St,  which is no longer there. I used to go into the shop with my sister & mother on a Saturday morning. 

That store may  probably be the reason I opened The Model Train Centre in Nelson.

I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Les

( The model train centre )

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 03/02/2020 at 20:36, Clarks said:

Hi Benno,

The model shop I first remember as a child was Webster's in Burnley. I think it was on Cannon St,  which is no longer there. I used to go into the shop with my sister & mother on a Saturday morning. 

That store may  probably be the reason I opened The Model Train Centre in Nelson.

I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Les

( The model train centre )

Goodness didnt even know a shop existed in Nelson  - I often have to drive through that way depending on work. Will check it out

31 minutes ago, Ighten said:

didnt even know a shop existed in Nelson

If its the one I'm thinking of, the show window displays from the main road on the ground floor are all hardware/DIY stuff, the model shop is up some steep rickety stairs to the first floor when I visited in 2019 but I recall quite an extensive range of products and a live model roundy DCC controlled to play with.

• 1 month later...