Railway electrification

Afternoon all,

Im thinking about making models reflecting how early eastern region went about installing overhead electrification systems in the 50's.

I cant find any information and particularly pictures of the converted or specialized stock used or of the early type 'gantries', fixtures and fittings used.

Is there anyone out there in RM land that could help?

Thanks

Scott

12 hours ago, gobbler said:

Afternoon all,

Im thinking about making models reflecting how early eastern region went about installing overhead electrification systems in the 50's.

I cant find any information and particularly pictures of the converted or specialized stock used or of the early type 'gantries', fixtures and fittings used.

Is there anyone out there in RM land that could help?

Thanks

Scott

Clive Mortimore may worth searching for; he's done quite a lot of work on structures on the GEML and the LTSR.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Scott

You say early, well it was all early compared to the present day.  Do you mean the 1500 V DC system between Liverpool St and Shenfield, the 1500 V DC as installed from Shenfield to Chelmsford and Southend  or the 25 KV AC that went from Bethnal Green to Enfield, Chingford, Hertford, and Bishops Stortford or the line from Chelmsford to Clacton? All are distinctive in their construction. 

• Like 2

Well woodhead, you said it 3 times, and as if by magic......ta..da..

Hes here, thanks.

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Scott

You say early, well it was all early compared to the present day.  Do you mean the 1500 V DC system between Liverpool St and Shenfield, the 1500 V DC as installed from Shenfield to Chelmsford and Southend  or the 25 KV AC that went from Bethnal Green to Enfield, Chingford, Hertford, and Bishops Stortford or the line from Chelmsford to Clacton? All are distinctive in their construction. 

Clive,

It would be a branch off the Liverpool street - Norwich main line.

Either my favorite stretch to southminster or the Braintree - witham or somewhere along the thaxted line.

What voltages there where i have no idea and wouldn't know where to start looking.

I was thinking of the stock used, how the train or consist? Was made up and what type of locomotive is needed to start with.

Im hoping the make up of the train would be fairly similar on all essex branches.  I imagine some opens carrying the cable on some type of drum,  some longish opens carrying the gantries, some converted coaches for the workers, maybe some covered wagons with walk ways, some means of erecting the gantries and possibly something for the cement. Probably 10 or more wagons in total, but in what order??

Id then look at the gantry, fixtures and fittings styles and see which type would be best for me to scratch build.

Cheers Clive,

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Thanks 1